• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1291642

Little test to see how sharp you guys are. Below is a Talon Era Otter Green Filson. Going with the theory that Otter Green, in some form or another, was around in the early 1990's before 1995, which I have provided some evidence that could very well make that true. That's not the purpose of this post however. Can you guys find something in this listing that would make you think otherwise it being a first edition (even if it were Tan)

I'm not referring to model number, twill color, leather shading, or anything actually having to do with the bag itself. Just a little levity, nothing serious, just having a laugh. Actually to give you a clue, the answer is in the tags.

View attachment 1291646

I’m going to guess you are referring to the address. It’s been a while since I read the history of Filson locations, but did they change locations in the late ‘90s? Something tells me they had to move during the Stan Kohl era due to a sports stadium takeover.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:fonz: You guys are killing it with the guesses. I hadn't even considered that @TinMan3 . However to a layperson, there would be no way they would get that...unless they were Jeopardy James lol.

The correct answer is the web address or at least the remnants of one. You can see "com" on the right side which leads me to believe a "www" is also featured, not to mention a "or" which is probably followed by a phone number. That's why I gave the hint of a layperson around for the 80's and 90's, when the internet wasn't so complex and chatrooms and instant messaging still existed (miss those days). In 1991 the internet was opened to the public but most small companies (like Filson) couldn't afford the bandwidth so to speak, so things like mailed catalogs were still prominent resources. Many of you old timers like myself can recall the famous (or infamous) Sears Catalog and all the splendor featured within.

During the early 1990's Filson didn't have a website and instead relied heavily on the famous Filson catalog...which is now filled with some pretty cool photos and some overpriced products like $60 Christmas ornaments :lol:, but still features many of the products that once graced the pages of the pre-internet catalogs.

This is on my wishlist btw and at a fair price too:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:fonz: You guys are killing it with the guesses. I hadn't even considered that @TinMan3 . However to a layperson, there would be no way they would get that...unless they were Jeopardy James lol.

The correct answer is the web address or at least the remnants of one. You can see "com" on the right side which leads me to believe a "www" is also featured, not to mention a "or" which is probably followed by a phone number. That's why I gave the hint of a layperson around for the 80's and 90's, when the internet wasn't so complex and chatrooms and instant messaging still existed (miss those days). In 1991 the internet was opened to the public but most small companies (like Filson) couldn't afford the bandwidth so to speak, so things like mailed catalogs were still prominent resources. Many of you old timers like myself can recall the famous (or infamous) Sears Catalog and all the splendor featured within.

During the early 1990's Filson didn't have a website and instead relied heavily on the famous Filson catalog...which is now filled with some pretty cool photos and some overpriced products like $60 Christmas ornaments :lol:, but still features many of the products that once graced the pages of the pre-internet catalogs.

This is on my wishlist btw and at a fair price too:

Heck, the internet didn't even exist for commerce in the 1980's....

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This Otter Green Talon Pullman looks very similar to my #257, both in Twill color and leather shade. Beautiful!

257 like.png

Last edited:

nevadabob

Reaction score
So, woe is me (tongue firmly in cheek). I have all of the Filson bags I need for the time being. Lately, I've been turning my eyes to the accessories Filson has been selling. Here is a shot of some of the cast/forged iron pieces I've picked up the last couple of years. Finex was sold in the Portland store for a bit. I'm not sure if it made the website. The keychains and ladle/spatula were made by the same guy in Washington. The bbq flipper isn't from Filson...it's a custom job I had made by Ponderosa Forge in Sisters, Oregon. The flipper and spatula are my go-to utensils forost things cookin'. 541B7D91-3B0C-4729-9F41-F422DBE0F6FF.jpeg

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, woe is me (tongue firmly in cheek). I have all of the Filson bags I need for the time being. Lately, I've been turning my eyes to the accessories Filson has been selling. Here is a shot of some of the cast/forged iron pieces I've picked up the last couple of years. Finex was sold in the Portland store for a bit. I'm not sure if it made the website. The keychains and ladle/spatula were made by the same guy in Washington. The bbq flipper isn't from Filson...it's a custom job I had made by Ponderosa Forge in Sisters, Oregon. The flipper and spatula are my go-to utensils forost things cookin'. View attachment 1293055
“ all the bags I need”. Since when was need the reality around here...?! ;-)

More seriously, that’s lovely equipment. Do you use it on a grill type barbecue or straight over an open fire?

nevadabob

Reaction score
Need and want are two very different things! By the way, I am looking for a Whidbey Island Tote and am waiting for the price to drop on the Supply Tote from Sierra Trading Post...

Most times I use the skillet and its bigger brothers on the stove top. It does make a mean Sloppy Joe on a camp fire and I have roasted chicken on my big green egg in the skillets. Here's a shot from this morning with an appearance of my smokey watch for good measure.
C5C06191-51F9-4325-A03F-47BA93E6F1D4.png 1669494F-A94F-46B3-9598-E49916E7B8C2.jpeg

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Need and want are two very different things! By the way, I am looking for a Whidbey Island Tote and am waiting for the price to drop on the Supply Tote from Sierra Trading Post...

Most times I use the skillet and its bigger brothers on the stove top. It does make a mean Sloppy Joe on a camp fire and I have roasted chicken on my big green egg in the skillets. Here's a shot from this morning with an appearance of my smokey watch for good measure.
View attachment 1293351 View attachment 1293352
Really like the octagon pan, how tall are the sides? And to keep it on topic, used my 256 to carry paperwork to a bank meeting today. Bank guy ask "Is that a Filson bag???, I've wanted one for years". I told him to get one, might be the last bag he ever needs.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m going to cheat a little here. 2 part post coming up for reasons that will be obvious in a moment.

Like many of you, Filson gear has become an intrinsic part of my day to day:
E4D8BC66-86B5-469B-B2FE-7943A3DFF86B.jpeg

BD0A5D12-8957-4A52-A75E-76A793CB119A.jpeg

For all our discussion of the minutiae on materials and heritage and place of manufacture, it’s a good time to for me to remember how practical, functional and enjoyable this stuff is. It’s nearly 5 years since I got my first bag - the Otter 258. I was very unsure about it when it arrived in a hotel room in Utah. It was stiff and heavy and sort of anachronistic....

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...and in the process of learning more I stumbled across this thread. On Feb 2nd 2016 I made my first post. Amazingly, 10 plus bags and many items of clothing later, this is the 1000th post I’ve made.

The gear is great. But the community is better. My sincere thanks to you all for the friendships, advice and humour. Especially @Soltrane - you were the first reply to my first post, @TinMan3 for a real life face to face friendship, @mgrennier for being a stand up guy, and of course our resident OG enthusiast @OtterMeanGreen - I love your passion. There are many others too!

Together we’ve ranged Filson, music, old trucks and bikes, boots, denim, travel, cats and dogs and more., That chat has been a welcome constant during a tough international move, and I’m grateful for it.

517884CA-A09E-4A37-A2D3-08B2A37A49CB.jpeg

Thank you and onwards!

CCF1897

Reaction score
...and in the process of learning more I stumbled across this thread. On Feb 2nd 2016 I made my first post. Amazingly, 10 plus bags and many items of clothing later, this is the 1000th post I’ve made.

The gear is great. But the community is better. My sincere thanks to you all for the friendships, advice and humour. Especially @Soltrane - you were the first reply to my first post, @TinMan3 for a real life face to face friendship, @mgrennier for being a stand up guy, and of course our resident OG enthusiast @OtterMeanGreen - I love your passion. There are many others too!

Together we’ve ranged Filson, music, old trucks and bikes, boots, denim, travel, cats and dogs and more., That chat has been a welcome constant during a tough international move, and I’m grateful for it.

View attachment 1293521

Thank you and onwards!
Great Post! This is the stuff that makes this forum for me. Good stuff @speedy611

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1293521

Thank you and onwards!

You totally beat me to it, I've been anticipating your 1000th post for about 6 months now. I was wondering if @mgrennier was gonna sneak up on you as he was also nearing the Distinguished Gentleman....errr I mean "Member" Status. Congratulations on sticking with us, through thick and thin, and all of our spirited debates.

Also thumbs way up :fonz: for the face reveal. This whole time I had you pegged for a Mel Gibson Braveheart lookalike...sans war paint. :lol:......wait a second, did Mel have a beard in that movie? I might've been thinking about his best friend Hamish

Last edited:

CCF1897

Reaction score
Hey All- thinking of moving some of my bags that I never use. Message me for any info/pics.
-to save some time here, all of these are in like new condition, no damage, no smell, nice leather etc.
-First Edition Journeyman (2013)
-Sportsman 266 (2/08)
-compartment case 264 (8/04)
-257 briefcase (02/15)

Attachments

• FFFD07FC-DE62-4C3C-9316-AD2AC8BD03AF.jpeg
    FFFD07FC-DE62-4C3C-9316-AD2AC8BD03AF.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 143E606E-FB2F-424D-8AB7-405A2BACBE0F.jpeg
    143E606E-FB2F-424D-8AB7-405A2BACBE0F.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 89
  • DCE14D51-94B2-4666-9CA8-8B58E4665DE1.jpeg
    DCE14D51-94B2-4666-9CA8-8B58E4665DE1.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 1C5DF780-3317-4E5A-94F4-F31689FE6CAF.jpeg
    1C5DF780-3317-4E5A-94F4-F31689FE6CAF.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 98D3F910-5E7D-4CB7-A7D1-269568374207.jpeg
    98D3F910-5E7D-4CB7-A7D1-269568374207.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 8306C972-E228-4BE7-A61D-8FF84E6386FE.jpeg
    8306C972-E228-4BE7-A61D-8FF84E6386FE.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 106
  • AC85B8CA-BEA7-4D8D-B70B-13D2AEDFC456.jpeg
    AC85B8CA-BEA7-4D8D-B70B-13D2AEDFC456.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 97

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1293521

Thank you and onwards!
Good post, Speedy. Good to connect with you and hope to run across you in London one day (or other places around this small globe).

I'm only at 912 posts as I've slowed down a bit due to a crazy ass work and travel schedule. Headed back to San Jose, CA one more time this year.

Also just booked another FUN trip - this time to Louisville, KY. They have a brand new hotel called the Hotel Distil - downtown. We'll be there Dec 29-Jan 1. Working on a couple bourbon tours for this trip. Hoping for chilly weather because, in my experiences, Filson gear goes VERY well with bourbon!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looking to get a pair of Filson bibs or overalls for winter duty, like shoveling snow and walking dog when it is cold and snowy. Wool or tin cloth? Which do you Filson clothing guys think would be warmer (warmth is the primary consideration for me). Thanks in advance for opinions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads