• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GzStudio

Reaction score
Hot damn GZ very nice! Was considering one of those too. Manual or DSG?

dsg, I’ve grown tired of rowing gears everyday. Bought a cpo ‘18 in June that is covered under full warranty until 2025 and/or 84k miles....I won’t have it that long, but can’t beat that peace of mind...

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
dsg, I’ve grown tired of rowing gears everyday. Bought a cpo ‘18 in June that is covered under full warranty until 2025 and/or 84k miles....I won’t have it that long, but can’t beat that peace of mind...
Agree on the DSG, one CAN play manual if one wants to, but it's just as good in auto.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m going to give it a shot. I’ll have to dig up my awl and hunt around for some canvas. Pretty sure I have some remnants of a canvas painters tarp around. When I’m done I’ll be sure to share it.
I tore out the inside guts of my 257 one day so I have some extra Filson canvas. I could send it to you to see what you can make something of your old 256. Just let me know if that's of interest.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hear you, from one city driver to another (New Jersey). Although, after 11 years of daily manual driving I still can't get enough of it. Learned how to rev match and heel toe a couple of years ago and it reinvigorated the hobby for me. Have you used the Haldex AWD in snow yet?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hear you, from one city driver to another (New Jersey). Although, after 11 years of daily manual driving I still can't get enough of it. Learned how to rev match and heel toe a couple of years ago and it reinvigorated the hobby for me. Have you used the Haldex AWD in snow yet?
I'm an old guy, and when was in High School, drivers education only had manual. My drivers ed instructor taught us how to rev match and heel/toe (although in the car we learned in, it was not really that easy.... it was a Ford something. But that was in 1967....

Cbfox

Reaction score
I tore out the inside guts of my 257 one day so I have some extra Filson canvas. I could send it to you to see what you can make something of your old 256. Just let me know if that's of interest.
That would be perfect if you wouldn’t mind. I’ll contact you off-line. Mine is a 257 as well.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Figure I’d try to spend a little more time with you guys. I have today & tomorrow off so I’m going to attempt to enjoy myself for a change, hope you guys are ready for a little more OMG :fonz:

Hope everyone’s Thanksgiving was both relaxing and entertaining. @speedy611 do you celebrate the holiday feast?

For the first time in awhile I had an excuse to use my MTB and it felt right at home on my shoulder, with 5 days worth of clothes & kit. Had a couple more of my Filson’s join in the fun

View attachment 1290874 View attachment 1290875
Nice pics Otter, and good to see you.

No, we don’t do Thanksgiving here, as we subdued any local natives and established stable food supplies about 2000 years ago ;-). That may all change with Brexit looming of course!

Winter has arrived properly though, and I’m in Filson all day. -2c this morning so layered the ultralight vest under the ultralight jacket.
A9307119-6427-486F-977E-5EE3D8D0ED7A.jpeg

While we are doing photos - here’s a new purchase - Wool Packer. Really pleased with it, very warm and looks great with pretty much anything.

44C3D91D-1C7A-4418-8A25-E6976C70C244.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Filson YKK Sportsman #266 in Tan. July 2007 Build Date. It's in great new-like condition, especially for a First Edition.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pop quiz.jpg

Little test to see how sharp you guys are. Below is a Talon Era Otter Green Filson. Going with the theory that Otter Green, in some form or another, was around in the early 1990's before 1995, which I have provided some evidence that could very well make that true. That's not the purpose of this post however. Can you guys find something in this listing that would make you think otherwise it being a first edition (even if it were Tan)

I'm not referring to model number, twill color, leather shading, or anything actually having to do with the bag itself. Just a little levity, nothing serious, just having a laugh. Actually to give you a clue, the answer is in the tags.

tag.jpg

Last edited:

pnwprice

Reaction score
View attachment 1291642

Little test to see how sharp you guys are. Below is a Talon Era Otter Green Filson. Going with the theory that Otter Green, in some form or another, was around in the early 1990's before 1995, which I have provided some evidence that could very well make that true. That's not the purpose of this post however. Can you guys find something in this listing that would make you think otherwise it being a first edition (even if it were Tan)

I'm not referring to model number, twill color, leather shading, or anything actually having to do with the bag itself. Just a little levity, nothing serious, just having a laugh. Actually to give you a clue, the answer is in the tags.

View attachment 1291646

The Bridle vs Harness leather?

GzStudio

Reaction score
The tags are dating the bag to 2010+ With Filson branded zippers imo. The fact that at least one of the pictures is an old stock image, I wonder if the other two are of the actual bag.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both are astute guesses and formulations but not quite what I had in mind. Actually a Filson layperson who lived in the 80’s & 90’s could answer this, if that helps you.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Both are astute guesses and formulations but not quite what I had in mind. Actually a Filson layperson who lived in the 80’s & 90’s could answer this, if that helps you.
I had a Filson bag for most of the 80's, but some a**hole stole it, after breaking in to my car. I have been using a Chapman bag for years, even though I bought a replacement Filson 7 or 8 years ago. Something about the Filson just kept calling to me, from it's resting place in the closet, so now it's back in full use. It is simple, and yet, complex. Does everything I need a bag to do and more, I wonder why I was using that Chapman bag for all these years (although it's a damn good bag). Anyway, I don't think the bag in question was from the 80's, looks more recent than that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads