• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CaryGooper

Reaction score

lightweight cruiser. 100% cotton shell and lining. Polyester sleeve lining. Made in USA. Hangs on a hook by the door. Used by one and all.

Wandering

Reaction score
Remember that structured leather briefcase Filson promised us?
I'm not feeling it...Priced 1300 usd

I just hope that this is yet another briefcase and not the one mentioned earlier in this thread.

20116429_Black_main_01.png.jpg

Wandering

Reaction score
Let's reiterate what the Filson rep said to me: "We've actually received quite a few requests for a structured, more business oriented briefcase from customers over the last couple of years and are hoping to fulfill this need soon"

Well, I fail to see what is so business about the above briefcase. The leather 256 looks way more business than the 'Dawson'. Nylon handles and strap? No slimline profile, but more like a leather alternative to the 24hr-briefcase?
And that brown and black colour scheme looks so tacky.

God, I hope there's another briefcase coming...

EDIT: I've sent an e-mail to Brian the Filson rep. If he confirms that this is the briefcase he mentioned, I'll just buy the Croots Malton Satchel. I hope he tells me that the business oriented briefcase is still coming.

Last edited:

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's reiterate what the Filson rep said to me: "We've actually received quite a few requests for a structured, more business oriented briefcase from customers over the last couple of years and are hoping to fulfill this need soon"

Well, I fail to see what is so business about the above briefcase. The leather 256 looks way more business than the 'Dawson'. Nylon handles and strap? No slimline profile, but more like a leather alternative to the 24hr-briefcase?

EDIT: I've sent an e-mail to Brian the Filson rep. If he confirms that this is the briefcase he mentioned, I'll just buy the Croots Malton Satchel. I hope he tells me that the business oriented briefcase is still coming.

I know most of us are Filson fans on this thread, but I don’t think one brand can do everything well. Even within the relatively narrow category of Luggage. Thankfully, the internet has helped spawn a whole cottage industry of small companies making great leather or leather/canvas bags at reasonable prices compared to traditional retail channels so plenty of options.

[Paradoxically to above, my Filson Field Satchel has been absolutely great for my business needs. But then I don’t use it for business trips so the bar is a bit lower.]

Wandering

Reaction score
I know most of us are Filson fans on this thread, but I don’t think one brand can do everything well. Even within the relatively narrow category of Luggage. Thankfully, the internet has helped spawn a whole cottage industry of small companies making great leather or leather/canvas bags at reasonable prices compared to traditional retail channels so plenty of options.
Still, terribly disappointed if the Filson rep will affirm that this is the 'business oriented' briefcase. Filson can do much better. You need only search for 'Filson Satchel' and you'll find that they did do much better. This new Dawson bag seems laughable in comparison :(

Maybe I'm a little too picky, but the only business bags I would consider right now (because the rest is either substandard or too polished in appearance) are the Croots Malton Bridle Leather Satchel or the Bleu de Chauffe 'Writer's Bag'.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I’d take the leather 256 over this every time, or the leather satchel which is seriously classic. And sure, @Soltrane is right, there are other options.
Again, this looks like Coach or Hugo boss. But perhaps that’s what the aim is - branch out from the rugged look and attract some different customers, who you can later transition to the clothing or more rugged luggage.

Wandering

Reaction score
I’d take the leather 256 over this every time, or the leather satchel which is seriously classic. And sure, @Soltrane is right, there are other options.
Again, this looks like Coach or Hugo boss. But perhaps that’s what the aim is - branch out from the rugged look and attract some different customers, who you can later transition to the clothing or more rugged luggage.
I agree, it looks like any other quick fashion bag.

The leather 256, even over 300 usd cheaper, seems a much more substantial bag judging by the pictures alone.
But I don't think that they're trying toattract customers to sell rugged items to later on. Remember that this is their flagship briefcase now, as oddly as that sounds. A flagship article often holds features that later trinkle down to lower priced items.

I hope it fails so they don't trinkle down anything of this bag

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still, terribly disappointed if the Filson rep will affirm that this is the 'business oriented' briefcase. Filson can do much better. You need only search for 'Filson Satchel' and you'll find that they did do much better. This new Dawson bag seems laughable in comparison :(

Maybe I'm a little too picky, but the only business bags I would consider right now (because the rest is either substandard or too polished in appearance) are the Croots Malton Bridle Leather Satchel or the Bleu de Chauffe 'Writer's Bag'.

I have checked out Bleu de Chauffe online. I think they have this interesting mid-century French vibe going on. So a bit different from the usual Brit equestrian-gentry vibe. Prices seem reasonable for the French made, locally sourced type of stuff they make. I will have to check their stuff out in RL one day.

Re: Bridle leather briefcases. The (2nd Gen) Filson satchel was a leap of faith for me as the Henry Tomkins English satchel I picked up at Camden Market a few years ago never really grew on me at all. And I had another very nice softer Libero Ferrero Portage briefcase in Horween Essex leather that I liked quite a bit more than the Tomkins. But the soft leather business bags never seem to look better with long term usage, imho. Just worn. They look best when new and in mint condition. The piping on the edges abrades and the lining gets stained or rips. The Filson, like most other decent full bridle bags, seems rigid and formal initially but time is very kind to it. It softens some. And the wear and abrasion merge into in a pleasing reddish patina. There is no lining to get dirty or tattered. And the rigidity and thickness of the leather provides excellent protection to the contents. You lose out on some of the modern internal organization for sure, but that is a fair trade-off - especially if you have other bags for business travel (like my Journeyman).

Last edited:

CCF1897

Reaction score

Korchmar has some very nice business briefcases, it's what they built their business on. Worth a look.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t know if made the news in the US but the founder of an NGO working in Syria died this week - James Le Mesurier. I don’t know anything about him but he clearly had good taste.

D7FF78DE-3F99-4841-A471-4DB91F732198.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads