• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nevadabob

Reaction score
I've been loosely looking for one as well. Any hints from you folk where one may be for sale would be appreciated!

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember that vans one that’s why when I spotted they carry on I thought maybe they released it again. The vans one was super limited and sold out quick.

Anyone know where the best deal one zipper totes is?

CaryGooper

Reaction score

looking forward to a little hand washing

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone had encountered Dick Proenneke? He built a cabin in Alaska by hand in the late 1960s and was pretty self sufficient there for 25 odd years.

4DC1A06F-203D-4463-AED3-AA8DE673FAEB.jpeg

I just read his book, which was inspiring both for his clarity of purpose and ability to craft a lot with simple tools and hard work.

I found a few clips of his life on YouTube. In one he seems to be wearing Tin Pants, which you’d imagine to be pretty ideal for the circumstances. He seems to have been a real outdoorsman, with a great appreciation for nature and solitude.

Book link:

GzStudio

Reaction score
I've visited the cabin site and watched the movie made about him (Alone in the Wilderness) as well as read the book. Very inspiring.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've visited the cabin site and watched the movie made about him (Alone in the Wilderness) as well as read the book. Very inspiring.
That’s very cool to have visited the cabin. What an experience. I can’t imagine being there for such long periods, and especially over winter. Interesting mental fortitude and good skills.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s very cool to have visited the cabin. What an experience. I can’t imagine being there for such long periods, and especially over winter. Interesting mental fortitude and good skills.

When I read about people like this, I am always struck by the thought just over a 100 years ago, these skills (and the accompanying mental fortitude) would be had by a good proportion of the US population. And over 200 years ago, the majority of the US would have these skills since most people lived in harsh rural or frontier environments.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I read about people like this, I am always struck by the thought just over a 100 years ago, these skills (and the accompanying mental fortitude) would be had by a good proportion of the US population. And over 200 years ago, the majority of the US would have these skills since most people lived in harsh rural or frontier environments.
Yes. I suppose there is a hierarchy of needs discussion here. Having self reliance skills is great, and if you have no choice in the matter, they provide enough for you to live, perhaps even relatively comfortably.
Today’s society has different skills and those are bourne of a different set of interdependencies. Overall the “quality” is better, but perhaps we’ve gone too far and suffer for some of our excesses.
For medical care, abundance and choice of food, societal acceptance of difference and knowledge of the world around me I pick today. But for clarity and peace of mind, first hand skills in making and producing, there is a lot to be said for 100 years ago.

CCF1897

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone had encountered Dick Proenneke? He built a cabin in Alaska by hand in the late 1960s and was pretty self sufficient there for 25 odd years.

View attachment 1272645

I just read his book, which was inspiring both for his clarity of purpose and ability to craft a lot with simple tools and hard work.

I found a few clips of his life on YouTube. In one he seems to be wearing Tin Pants, which you’d imagine to be pretty ideal for the circumstances. He seems to have been a real outdoorsman, with a great appreciation for nature and solitude.

Book link:

There is a lot of videos on YouTube on Dick. I enjoy watching them. If interested there is a fellow who has a great youtube channel, called "MY Self Reliance" He moved to the wilderness a few years ago and left his office job. Built a cabin and other structures and documents it all. Wears the filson clothing and uses all hand tools for the most part. He has an Instagram page under the same name.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a lot of videos on YouTube on Dick. I enjoy watching them. If interested there is a fellow who has a great youtube channel, called "MY Self Reliance" He moved to the wilderness a few years ago and left his office job. Built a cabin and other structures and documents it all. Wears the filson clothing and uses all hand tools for the most part. He has an Instagram page under the same name.
Thank you! I just found that channel today and have saved a video from it to watch later.

CCF1897

Reaction score
Thank you! I just found that channel today and have saved a video from it to watch later.
It's a few years of videos so if you like what you see best to start from early on. Impressive what this guy does.

GzStudio

Reaction score
I will say that my brother and his wife lived somewhat like this for many years in Alaska, including with children albeit a little closer to civilization, but had no running water, no bathroom, and no electricity. I helped build their small house. Before they built their cabin, they lived in a wall tent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads