• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CaryGooper

Reaction score
A red plaid Mackinaw blanket and the last four bandanas. Any additional bandanas that are released. I like the bandanas.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We spent the weekend up in Minnesota with my older brother and let me just say, dang that place is gorgeous in the fall. It was also the perfect opportunity to get my Filson gear a solid workout, and maybe add a thing or two to my collection! Here are a few pics of the trip. Some Filson, others not, but fall and Filson just go together so well. By the way @speedy611 you will not believe my Red Wing Factory sale haul this year ;)

7C5DFFC3-70E6-438F-B603-0854E2174AAF.jpeg

A20460F5-F1B4-4F17-935F-52CE528E669D.jpeg

17C90B7C-F92B-43AE-A7E1-C8BCA7148E78.jpeg

AA4FC82D-AA6D-44DB-AE1B-58B18D7173C9.jpeg

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We spent the weekend up in Minnesota with my older brother and let me just say, dang that place is gorgeous in the fall. It was also the perfect opportunity to get my Filson gear a solid workout, and maybe add a thing or two to my collection! Here are a few pics of the trip. Some Filson, others not, but fall and Filson just go together so well. By the way @speedy611 you will not believe my Red Wing Factory sale haul this year ;)

View attachment 1259722

View attachment 1259728

View attachment 1259719

View attachment 1259716
Great pics. That Jac shirt really suits you and I see the new vest lurking beneath.

So, spill! What did you get at RW? Engineers?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A red plaid Mackinaw blanket and the last four bandanas. Any additional bandanas that are released. I like the bandanas.

It's funny...the bandanas are the reason I hesitate to buy anything from Filson. If they're selling bandanas for 10x what they're worth, is everything they sell marked up similarly? I've heard so many people talk about how good Filson stuff is, but I have a hard time getting past this.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny...the bandanas are the reason I hesitate to buy anything from Filson. If they're selling bandanas for 10x what they're worth, is everything they sell marked up similarly? I've heard so many people talk about how good Filson stuff is, but I have a hard time getting past this.
Cost vs value. Some Filson stuff is good value because it’s high quality, well made and long lasting. Twill bags, wool vests, tin cloth garments.

Some Filson stuff is mostly the same as elsewhere, and serves to help brand awareness while bolstering profit margin. T shirts and bandanas are examples. They aren’t bad, and they aren’t low quality, but their cost isn’t well proportioned to their value.

So buy the classic stuff, perhaps on sale or with the 10% coupon. Use it hard and it’s likely you’ll see the value.

bucky0486

Reaction score
I agree with everything that @speedy611 said. But to add to that, I'd say that what something is worth is very much in the eye of the buyer. For you (and certainly me and I think most on this forum), $35 for a cotton bandana is not good value for money. But I think Filson is cashing in on their brand from those that would prefer to pay extra for an item for the Filson brand even if it's otherwise equivalent to a traditional product.

But to answer your question more directly, I do not think that all of their products have a brand mark up. Their wool and twill products (among others) are top notch and are priced based on their usefulness, ruggedness, style, and all the other reasons why Filson's brand is so valuable; not just the name.

Like Speedy mentioned, most of the products that Filson built its reputation on (e.g., the classics) are some of the best you can buy. I think most of us look for deals or bargains to help the affordability aspect, but still purchase directly from Filson from time to time.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cost vs value. Some Filson stuff is good value because it’s high quality, well made and long lasting. Twill bags, wool vests, tin cloth garments.

Some Filson stuff is mostly the same as elsewhere, and serves to help brand awareness while bolstering profit margin. T shirts and bandanas are examples. They aren’t bad, and they aren’t low quality, but their cost isn’t well proportioned to their value.

So buy the classic stuff, perhaps on sale or with the 10% coupon. Use it hard and it’s likely you’ll see the value.
Agreed. The classics are just that - for the clothing: Anything made of Mackinaw wool, along with the Alaskan guide shirts, the moleskin shirts, and most of the vests they sell are of utmost quality (of the clothes).

I even paid $4 dollars for a Filson carpenters pencil when I was in Seattle. Overpriced? Yep. But I wanted it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads