• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There’s no escaping it. The aluminium and twill combination looks very good together. Super practical too.
It continues to amaze me that Away is doing so well as a market disrupter! Good for them.

I have been thinking this recently as I see more frequent travelers with an aluminum roller and a Filson 256 or zippered tote.

I am thinking of switching out my typical duffle for my smallest roller coupled with my incoming 261 on my next business trip. The small roller has a compartment for my laptop too. Seems like a very workable blend of traditional and modern.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There’s no escaping it. The aluminium and twill combination looks very good together. Super practical too.
It continues to amaze me that Away is doing so well as a market disrupter! Good for them.
I’m still hoping I stumble accross a Rimowa classic flight some day for a steal. I could never pay full price but you’re right there is just something about the aluminum with the waxed cotton that is so classic looking.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m still hoping I stumble accross a Rimowa classic flight some day for a steal. I could never pay full price but you’re right there is just something about the aluminum with the waxed cotton that is so classic looking.
Hey guys. My first reason to go with a roller was practical. Traveling every week gets a bit burdensome with a duffle. im writing this, in fact, in an Uber from San Francisco to San Jose.

I would love a Rinowa too as they, way more than the Away, provide a more classic Filson-esque experience

the away was my first aluminum roller so I wanted to see how it would withstand the dweekly airport grind (remarkably well by the way).

I’m happy with the setup with the Filson.the only thing I’m really missing is a trolley strap on the back of my 256 or the Journeyman. I know the 24 hour bag has one but I don’t love the tin cloth for EDC.

I need to meet someone that can sew one on.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 261 came in today. It’s from Nov 2007 i.e. YKK era’. I needed...okay,wanted... a bag to lug around headphones, iPad, bulky test prep books, calculator, notebooks, novel etc. This was totally overloading my Ernest Alexander Watson briefcase. The 261 zippered tote is one of the most universally praised Filson bags - and I already had the open tote (in heavy tin) so I was pretty sure this was THE bag for my needs as I needed something that could carry a lot but more accessible than a backpack.

So now with the same load in the 261 as I had in my briefcase, it is maybe 2/3rds full tops so perfect. Leather is better than my newer pieces but not as good or faded like my Talon bag straps. One strap being better overall quality than the other upon inspection but certainly acceptable. (Edit: I took a better look at it late last night. One strap is the most perfect post-Talon era, dark brown leather strap I have ever seen from Filson. Immaculate across its length. Supple. If all Filson straps were like this, everyone on this forum would be in 7th heaven. Now, the other is pretty good throughout its length but shows some waving on the topside and the fuzziness on one end of the underside. Still serviceable, of course. Given this bag is from 2007, it suggests there was variability in quality even prior to Bedrock).

I will try it on my next business trip as my ‘personal item’ and see how it compares to my Journeyman backpack. This is the most competitive category for me as I have tried backpacks, briefcases, and other totes with varying success as they all have their respective advantages.
E561B8E3-4B94-456C-9E5C-09A754CADF1A.jpeg

Last edited:

bart

Reaction score
...As far as I’m aware, the only user of a 242 is Soletrane, so it’s not very common, if our community represents a cross section.

Catching up on old posts, haven’t been around in a while. Correction, I also have a talon 242 I got from GZ. I’ll post more later. Have been traveling with it this summer and have a couple stories. Great bag!

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 261 came in today. It’s from Nov 2007 i.e. YKK era’. I needed...okay,wanted... a bag to lug around headphones, iPad, bulky test prep books, calculator, notebooks, novel etc. This was totally overloading my Ernest Alexander Watson briefcase. The 261 zippered tote is one of the most universally praised Filson bags - and I already had the open tote (in heavy tin) so I was pretty sure this was THE bag for my needs as I needed something that could carry a lot but more accessible than a backpack.

So now with the same load in the 261 as I had in my briefcase, it is maybe 2/3rds full tops so perfect. Leather is better than my newer pieces but not as good or faded like my Talon bag straps. One strap being better overall quality than the other upon inspection but certainly acceptable. (Edit: I took a better look at it late last night. One strap is the most perfect post-Talon era, dark brown leather strap I have ever seen from Filson. Immaculate across its length. Supple. If all Filson straps were like this, everyone on this forum would be in 7th heaven. Now, the other is pretty good throughout its length but shows some waving on the topside and the fuzziness on one end of the underside. Still serviceable, of course. Given this bag is from 2007, it suggests there was variability in quality even prior to Bedrock).

I will try it on my next business trip as my ‘personal item’ and see how it compares to my Journeyman backpack. This is the most competitive category for me as I have tried backpacks, briefcases, and other totes with varying success as they all have their respective advantages. View attachment 1256015
All these new tote bags posts. While I love the shape of the bag and the look of the bag, I just cannot get comfortable carrying it on business trips. Something about carrying a tote that doesn't appeal to me.

Soletrane - I'll be curious what you think after you carry it a few times on a business trip. I really WANT to like the 261 but I'm just not there yet.

CaryGooper

Reaction score
All these new tote bags posts. While I love the shape of the bag and the look of the bag, I just cannot get comfortable carrying it on business trips. Something about carrying a tote that doesn't appeal to me.

Soletrane - I'll be curious what you think after you carry it a few times on a business trip. I really WANT to like the 261 but I'm just not there yet.
Well it is a tote ?

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mgrennier, think of it as 'utility bag' if that helps any! ;-) Tongue-in-cheek as that is, I think there's a grain of truth to it.

I have the standard open tote - and THAT one feels like a tote to me. And as such, I have seldom used it for anything other than hauling gym clothes around. The Filson open tote seems different only in degree (heavier, thicker) than in kind or category from the standard grocery tote bag - as it too is open and vertically aligned ('portrait' as opposed to 'landscape'). I naturally place most items (e.g. shoes, books, water bottle) vertically in the open tote rather than horizontally like in a briefcase.

In contrast, the more cube shaped 261 feels to me more like a really fat briefcase. I place all the books, laptop, ipad and notebooks horizontally in the bag - like I would do in a briefcase (which is the preferred orientation for these types of items hence the landscape shape of almost every briefcase). So when my gear got to the point where it was just too much for my 256 sized Watson bag, it was quite natural to throw everything in the same orientation into the 261. I have a Red Oxx Gator Bag (now used mostly as a bag for my dSLR), and the 261 seems more like this cube shaped bag than my open tote (though larger than the Gator and thus more useful to me).

There is always a honeymoon period with a Filson bag where you try to use your new bag for almost everything, but once that dies down, you start to understand it's best place in the 'bag roster'. So I will try it and report back.

CaryGooper

Reaction score
mgrennier, think of it as 'utility bag' if that helps any! ;-) Tongue-in-cheek as that is, I think there's a grain of truth to it.

I have the standard open tote - and THAT one feels like a tote to me. And as such, I have seldom used it for anything other than hauling gym clothes around. The Filson open tote seems different only in degree (heavier, thicker) than in kind or category from the standard grocery tote bag - as it too is open and vertically aligned ('portrait' as opposed to 'landscape'). I naturally place most items (e.g. shoes, books, water bottle) vertically in the open tote rather than horizontally like in a briefcase.

In contrast, the more cube shaped 261 feels to me more like a really fat briefcase. I place all the books, laptop, ipad and notebooks horizontally in the bag - like I would do in a briefcase (which is the preferred orientation for these types of items hence the landscape shape of almost every briefcase). So when my gear got to the point where it was just too much for my 256 sized Watson bag, it was quite natural to throw everything in the same orientation into the 261. I have a Red Oxx Gator Bag (now used mostly as a bag for my dSLR), and the 261 seems more like this cube shaped bag than my open tote (though larger than the Gator and thus more useful to me).

There is always a honeymoon period with a Filson bag where you try to use your new bag for almost everything, but once that dies down, you start to understand it's best place in the 'bag roster'. So I will try it and report back.
Did not know they had to have a use. Just collect em.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did not know they had to have a use. Just collect em.

lol. For me the fun is all in the use. I don't get much fun out of just storing my bags in a cedar box in the attic, tbh. If I am a collector, I am the serial monogamist type - going through many bags just to get to The One.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads