• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda dissatisfied with new Filson bags. I have about half-a-dozen bags from the past ten years, and having just bought a duffle...the fabric seems cheap and thin compared to my older duffles. ?

bucky0486

Reaction score
I'm kinda dissatisfied with new Filson bags. I have about half-a-dozen bags from the past ten years, and having just bought a duffle...the fabric seems cheap and thin compared to my older duffles. ?
Can you share some more details (what are the older bags you have and which new duffle did you get) and some pictures?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard some rumblings that Filson has sales. Are these usually product specific? Also what sort of deal is there? Just wondering as I am still looking at totes. Are 3rd party sites better for deals?

pnwprice

Reaction score
I heard some rumblings that Filson has sales. Are these usually product specific? Also what sort of deal is there? Just wondering as I am still looking at totes. Are 3rd party sites better for deals?

There is usually a big summer sale mid-summer, and a big holiday sale as well. You can get some really great deals if you catch them fast enough. This last summer sale had really great deals on (now) discontinued duffles, totes, etc. I was able to get a couple small duffles for less than 180 bucks I think. Small pullman went on sale for under $200 too.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is usually a big summer sale mid-summer, and a big holiday sale as well. You can get some really great deals if you catch them fast enough. This last summer sale had really great deals on (now) discontinued duffles, totes, etc. I was able to get a couple small duffles for less than 180 bucks I think. Small pullman went on sale for under $200 too.
Discontinued being the key word. I have never seen them put anything for sale that then is available for full price later on. The only things that go on sale are colorways that are not coming back or styles that are being discontinued, so if you’re hoping for a tan 261, it’s not likely to be part of the sale.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Discontinued being the key word. I have never seen them put anything for sale that then is available for full price later on. The only things that go on sale are colorways that are not coming back or styles that are being discontinued, so if you’re hoping for a tan 261, it’s not likely to be part of the sale.

I think this summarizes it. I was thinking through all my Summer or Winter Filson sale item purchases over the last 4-5 years, I can't think of one example where it was available post-sale at full MSRP - at least in the same color. This also applies to other online retailers - they typically are only offering discontinued colors or styles at a discount. If you're flexible you can get some good deals this way.

CaryGooper

Reaction score
I think this summarizes it. I was thinking through all my Summer or Winter Filson sale item purchases over the last 4-5 years, I can't think of one example where it was available post-sale at full MSRP - at least in the same color. This also applies to other online retailers - they typically are only offering discontinued colors or styles at a discount. If you're flexible you can get some good deals this way.
I like having Filson items that are no longer available. It is also enjoyable predicting which items will disappear quickly. Most of the “why” is a mystery.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like having Filson items that are no longer available. It is also enjoyable predicting which items will disappear quickly. Most of the “why” is a mystery.
I think the “why” is either lack of sales, cost prohibitive to continue to manufacture (242 large carry on and Pullman), or an improved design.
On lack of sales - it’s possible that some items are released as a market test to verify whether a category of product might be successful. The meridian line of duffle and tote might have been examples - do they validate the market for more airline friendly bags?

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CaryCooper, I also don’t mind having discontinued items. If I like it, it doesn’t matter to me at all if it’s no longer available. In fact, when I happen to be sporting my typical discontinued gear - like the navy Journeyman backpack - it always gets some sort of positive feedback from the Filson store associates. Come to think of it, I am not sure if I have anything that can still be bought new in the same color or material.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to the grand opening tonight at the Naperville IL store. It was awesome. Whiskey tasting, beer and bbq was readily available with a live band and lots of Filson fans. I may have even recruiting a new member to the forum or two. I’m excited to have a retail store so close and look forward to the many events to come!
85AB4369-551B-4101-A02D-8B99C921F6D3.jpeg
4488AB49-709C-4BB5-A470-23CA20AEFA2D.jpeg
99A06AB5-A171-4523-8426-39286C2634F5.jpeg
7D787328-6115-498E-99A6-420159BF13FE.jpeg

pnwprice

Reaction score

bucky0486

Reaction score
I went to the grand opening tonight at the Naperville IL store. It was awesome. Whiskey tasting, beer and bbq was readily available with a live band and lots of Filson fans. I may have even recruiting a new member to the forum or two. I’m excited to have a retail store so close and look forward to the many events to come! View attachment 1252363 View attachment 1252364 View attachment 1252365 View attachment 1252366
This is the only store that's even close to me. I'll be headed there next time I fly through Chicago.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between the tan and sepia colors? They look extremely similar on my screen, with the tan maybe having more of a yellow cast to it. Is that accurate?

pnwprice

Reaction score
What is the difference between the tan and sepia colors? They look extremely similar on my screen, with the tan maybe having more of a yellow cast to it. Is that accurate?

think of sepia as a faded or pre-worn tan, basically. Tan is more yellow for sure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads