• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CaryGooper

Reaction score
How do you like them? Hoping to check them out tomorrow at the Filson store.
I like them. Only wore them briefly as it has been too warm but they look and feel like Filson shirts. The Brisbane Moss fabric sealed the deal. Certainly not sending them back.

CaryGooper

Reaction score
I like them. Only wore them briefly as it has been too warm but they look and feel like Filson shirts. The Brisbane Moss fabric sealed the deal. Certainly not sending them back.
Of course I liked them before I received them.

bucky0486

Reaction score
What’s really odd to me is that if they were already making these in the US, you would think they already had the equipment and personnel set up to manufacture the black vest, why why go overseas this time around? I know from my experience in manufacturing that every time we run a specific job again the efficiency is greater and more profitable in the long run, so making that change baffles me in some ways.
I think you're right about increasing efficiency over time, but for garments it is very easy and cheap to move things overseas or to another factory because there isn't any special tools or equipment needed. The normal costs of moving manufacturing facilities doesn't really apply to garments. Generally, if a manufacturer can make a shirt, they can make pants, or a vest, or whatever.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you're right about increasing efficiency over time, but for garments it is very easy and cheap to move things overseas or to another factory because there isn't any special tools or equipment needed. The normal costs of moving manufacturing facilities doesn't really apply to garments. Generally, if a manufacturer can make a shirt, they can make pants, or a vest, or whatever.

I was thinking the wage difference might be easily a tenfold difference between a garment worker in Seattle and one in Vietnam. And you can ship a LOT of Filson garments in a single shipping container back to the US. So the difference in cost of making the same item in US vs Vietnam could be significant.

What I have seen for some US apparel brands -that initially when they first make the item overseas, the item is comparable in quality to the US precursor but over time, the quality deteriorates as it further succumbs to the same cost cutting mindset that moved production overseas in the first place. The long slide down is often further accelerated if the company shifts from family or US ownership to part of an international fashion conglomerate which will squeeze the last drops out of the brand’s equity until you find the product selling at a steep discount at your local TJ Maxx. But there are certainly many US companies making quality products overseas so it isn’t necessarily inevitable.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the wage difference might be easily a tenfold difference between a garment worker in Seattle and one in Vietnam. And you can ship a LOT of Filson garments in a single shipping container back to the US. So the difference in cost of making the same item in US vs Vietnam could be significant.

What I have seen for some US apparel brands -that initially when they first make the item overseas, the item is comparable in quality to the US precursor but over time, the quality deteriorates as it further succumbs to the same cost cutting mindset that moved production overseas in the first place. The long slide down is often further accelerated if the company shifts from family or US ownership to part of an international fashion conglomerate which will squeeze the last drops out of the brand’s equity until you find the product selling at a steep discount at your local TJ Maxx. But there are certainly many US companies making quality products overseas so it isn’t necessarily inevitable.
I wonder if there is also a problem here for brands like Filson in the perception of value vs luxury? Ralph Lauren or Belstaff have managed to justify their margins via marketing and brand management without needing to maintain all production in USA / UK respectively. But they are viewed as a luxury brand, both by their wearers and by the public at large.
Filson is different. We might see it as luxury (or not) - but we are atypical in our understanding. The general public doesn’t see a Filson bag and think of it as much more than a nice canvas bag - and certainly not above a Gucci or even Coach in terms of quality and materials.
So how does Filson grow, maintain and extend brand value whilst sustaining the original quality. It’s a very, very fine balance.
One option is sub - branding - Eg Polo CS Purple Label for RL. Another is lower end of the market items that are better quality than TK Max but less than the flagship, and can serve as an intro to the heritage and provide and up sell pathway.
And so we have Filson T-shirt’s in all varieties, Dryden bags, etc etc. All made quite well, but without the costs.
Complicated stuff, and not something I criticize Filson for. I’m just glad many of the classics are available, and some of the new stuff is also great - ultralight jacket for example.
Now, excuse me, I need to go and work on the patina of my 1994 hunting vest...

nevadabob

Reaction score
I may be in the minority here, but as a Yankee, I don't see RL as a luxury brand. I'm genuinely shocked every olympics when the brand dresses our athletes.

RL? The TJ MAXX brand?

CaryGooper

Reaction score
Tracker shirt and faller bandana

Zeke90

Reaction score
I have the 257. Anyone had trouble bringing it on flight and the airline indicated its too large for a carry on? I wanted to bring this as my personal bag and then still have my small carry on overhead luggage

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the 257. Anyone had trouble bringing it on flight and the airline indicated its too large for a carry on? I wanted to bring this as my personal bag and then still have my small carry on overhead luggage

I regularly use my small duffel (under heavy load) as a personal item in addition to a hard sided suitcase, plus we all have seen women with their large totes that are filled to the brim. I think you'd be fine, unless you are flying on a strict airline.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if there is also a problem here for brands like Filson in the perception of value vs luxury? Ralph Lauren or Belstaff have managed to justify their margins via marketing and brand management without needing to maintain all production in USA / UK respectively. But they are viewed as a luxury brand, both by their wearers and by the public at large.
Filson is different. We might see it as luxury (or not) - but we are atypical in our understanding. The general public doesn’t see a Filson bag and think of it as much more than a nice canvas bag - and certainly not above a Gucci or even Coach in terms of quality and materials.
So how does Filson grow, maintain and extend brand value whilst sustaining the original quality. It’s a very, very fine balance.
One option is sub - branding - Eg Polo CS Purple Label for RL. Another is lower end of the market items that are better quality than TK Max but less than the flagship, and can serve as an intro to the heritage and provide and up sell pathway.
And so we have Filson T-shirt’s in all varieties, Dryden bags, etc etc. All made quite well, but without the costs.
Complicated stuff, and not something I criticize Filson for. I’m just glad many of the classics are available, and some of the new stuff is also great - ultralight jacket for example.
Now, excuse me, I need to go and work on the patina of my 1994 hunting vest...

I think one of Filson’s Unique Selling Propositions (borrowing a term from my MKT101 class) is that it is Made in America. RL may be built around the appeal of classic/traditional American attire but I don’t think the actual place of manufacture figures as prominently among the brand appeal. It’s not so much about ‘authenticity’ with RL but capturing and selling this mythical preppy mid-century American style to a broad consumer base. Mind you, it is challenging to talk about RL as a single brand as they have so many sub-brands from Chaps to Purple Label with different price points and retail outlets.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do not think this will be a problem unless you are on a plane with very little overhead space like one of the smaller Embraer jets.

Zeke90

Reaction score
Do not think this will be a problem unless you are on a plane with very little overhead space like one of the smaller Embraer jets.
ah great. jus worried the airline wont let me have jt as a personal bag i can stow underneath the seat infront of me, that would be a disaster

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ah great. jus worried the airline wont let me have jt as a personal bag i can stow underneath the seat infront of me, that would be a disaster

I have placed a full Sportsman under the seat in front of me so I am sure that a 257 would fit under most jet seats.

When I am unsure, for example when I am carrying two largish bags (I.e. both carry-on size) and there is a potentially strict gate agent, I will place the smaller of the two bags cross-shoulder with the bag laying across my back (bike courier style) so the agent just sees a shoulder strap from the front. The larger bag then is carried in my hand. As long as the bag in my hand is an acceptable size for carry-on, I am homefree as the gate agent tends to just look forward to the next passenger mainly looking for larger wheeled bags to gate check. I will still shove one under my seat so it’s not like I am trying to beat the system.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’ll never have a problem with the 257 for a second carry-on. It’s a briefcase. Will ALWAYS work. Trust me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads