• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked this new to me Filson x Burton 2-wheeler to replace my 12-yo High Sierra AT3.

Based upon my initial inspection, Filson provided the twill, zips and snaps to the Chinese manufacturer. The leather bits do not look and feel like the typical Wickett & Craig stock.

If there's interest, I can provide more pictures and additional specifications when I find a little more time to go over it with a finer toothed comb.

This is just my second collab peice. I once owned the Filson x Levi's trucker ... I sold it after a couple of years since I was never able to adjust to the clammy-feel of the waxed canvas.
Interesting find. I’d be happy to hear more. I know @OtterMeanGreen was looking for one of these so I’m sure he’d be pleased to get some detail too.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GzStudio

Reaction score
I’ve been using the original heavy (non-aev) tin 256 for the last week and a half. Love it. This is one I’ve kept as mine since 2015 or so. Have the medium and small duffle that I consider mine as well. All bulletproof.

singjai

Reaction score
Daily use (briefcase) vs occasional use (medium duffle) I bought both of these in December 2016. Crazy how much the briefcase is changing!

If I didn’t have my bags in front of me, I’d swear these were mine lol. I have a daily 257 that looked just like it ( just waxed today for the first time) and an occasional med duffel that still looks new. Both tan

Kwaker

Reaction score
I've attached more pics of the luggage. It's in really good shape and has no mustiness .. then again, its probably only 4/5 years old (there's no build tag). I picked it up from an American ex-pat now living here in the Toronto area.

Unlike the run of the mill Burton Flight Deck, this Filson variant features the following added touches:
- wool divider
- functional exterior compression straps
- Cobra quick-release buckles (overkill for luggage, but a nod to the overbuilt characteristics of many of our Filson pieces)

front&back.JPG
inside.JPG
inside2.jpg
buckle.JPG

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Kwaker - congrats, that’s a very nice and unusual piece. Thanks for all the extra pics. It looks very well organized inside.

Topic jump - vintage Filson garment dating: do I read this as October 1994? (9410)
20A27C22-EB73-4D76-BCB0-57DC4756473A.jpeg

What’s the 3251 for?

bucky0486

Reaction score
@Kwaker - congrats, that’s a very nice and unusual piece. Thanks for all the extra pics. It looks very well organized inside.

Topic jump - vintage Filson garment dating: do I read this as October 1994? (9410)
View attachment 1238590

What’s the 3251 for?

That’s the right date. I don’t remember when they switched from YYMM to MMYY, but the early 90s stuff has the year first.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1238590

What’s the 3251 for?
Your Filson garment was produced on September 4, 1910. I believe that C.C. himself may have worn it....

singjai

Reaction score
Had my 257 for about 5 years now and decided to wax the canvas for the first time. Noticed one weird thing that I had never noticed the past 5 years (first time I've actually inspected my bag since I bought it). The leather on the zipper aged completely differently on each side.

Anyone else notice this with their briefcase? I don't mind it, just thought I'd ask to see if it was a common thing.

Kwaker

Reaction score
Unlike your experience, the leather pieces on my bags (x 2) are better matched.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had my 257 for about 5 years now and decided to wax the canvas for the first time. Noticed one weird thing that I had never noticed the past 5 years (first time I've actually inspected my bag since I bought it). The leather on the zipper aged completely differently on each side.

Anyone else notice this with their briefcase? I don't mind it, just thought I'd ask to see if it was a common thing.

View attachment 1238788

View attachment 1238789

View attachment 1238790
I haven’t seen this before with respect to zips. But it’s the same as we’ve seen with handles and straps where leather is clearly from different hides or different parts of the hide. Some would be unhappy with this, I guess it’s a personal opinion. I don’t think it affects functionality at all.

woodsjw

Reaction score
I haven’t seen this before with respect to zips. But it’s the same as we’ve seen with handles and straps where leather is clearly from different hides or different parts of the hide. Some would be unhappy with this, I guess it’s a personal opinion. I don’t think it affects functionality at all.

Yeah, uniformity is not something I really look for in Filson bags... I kinda like that different parts of the bags age and wear differently depending upon their use and how they are constructed. I'm not sure there's anyway to guarantee that this doesn't happen.

woodsjw

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a new tin cloth jacket.. I like the Short Lined Cruiser that is currently on the website, but am also considering picking up a Tin Cloth Seattle Cruiser off ebay. Does anyone have an experience with this coat and will to offer any thoughts or pictures?

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love it so far. I carried in pretty heavy rain today and you can’t even tell. How long have you had yours?

Pretty new to me too, just a few weeks. Not sure how I feel about it yet, but not in love with the drawstring or the snaps on it. I think I like it due to the aesthetics of having a leather backpack. My rucksack is not getting as much wear since i got it, but I also have the tin cloth backpack too, so that is taking up some of my backpack time too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads