• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bucky0486

Reaction score
Has anyone seen any of the new “Mackinaw Red” luggage on the secondary market at a reasonable price yet? I’m considering a small duffle in that color but can’t afford full retail price (and/or don’t want to).

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice bags. Filson has got a good rolling luggage assortment. It's only too bad that none of their rolling luggage is truly carry-on, except for their now discontinued Small rolling duffle when not full, which I have and like a lot.
It also has got the zipped internal pocket, but not the flap covering the main compartment. I feel it makes it stand out from the other duffles that way, so I don't miss it.
I have returned my (only recently updated) Rolling carry-on bag as I've come to the conclusion that no European airline would accept it as carry-on...Quite an oversight on Filson's part, I feel.
For the most part, airlines (except perhaps Lufthansa or other German-based airlines) aren't too finicky unless your luggage is grossly over-sized or there's a problem. I travel a fair bit and my 22" bag hasn't been a problem on my international flights, though mine are mostly to Asia, though I traveled quite a bit in Europe last year. I don't usually get to fly in premium cabins :(

Last edited:

Wandering

Reaction score
Coming from a guy who just travelled all over Europe with a rolling carry on as a carry on, it fit the requirements of Aegean Air, Jet 2 and Easy Jet without a problem. Size was never an issue, weight was more my concern as most of the EU airlines limit to 10-12kg. Anyways, not sure where you came up with the rolling carry on not being a carry on in Europe as this was not my experience at all. I even measured for each to make sure it was fine so I’m positive on this one.
Travelling from Belgium and having considered 3 airlines; Brussels airlines, Ryanair and KLm. For each one of these the rolling carry-on's dimensions exceed the limit.
I've eventually chosen KLM after taking the Thalys to Amsterdam and used my small rolling duffle, which is smaller than the rolling carry-on.
The small rolling duffle even, did not fit into the overhead compartiment when fully packed, but I was lucky enough to store it hnder the seat.

I only know one of your airlines;easyjet. They have got a good reputation regarding luggage, so it's possible. Nonetheless, Brussels Airlines, KLM and Ryanair are major players and you shouldn't get your rolling carry-on in their airplanes if you check the allowed dimensions.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Travelling from Belgium and having considered 3 airlines; Brussels airlines, Ryanair and KLm. For each one of these the rolling carry-on's dimensions exceed the limit.
I've eventually chosen KLM after taking the Thalys to Amsterdam and used my small rolling duffle, which is smaller than the rolling carry-on.
The small rolling duffle even, did not fit into the overhead compartiment when fully packed, but I was lucky enough to store it hnder the seat.

I only know one of your airlines;easyjet. They have got a good reputation regarding luggage, so it's possible. Nonetheless, Brussels Airlines, KLM and Ryanair are major players and you shouldn't get your rolling carry-on in their airplanes if you check the allowed dimensions.
Ryanair is garbage. Haven't flown KLM in many years and never flown Brussels. I guess I shouldn't be surprised they're on the stricter side of things.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
Speaking of travel and carry ons. One week in California with my STB and Rucksack.
Managed to squeeze the STB into a tight overhead spot.
35E46C46-FCFE-495D-8BE4-BDADDD3D6950.jpeg

woodsjw

Reaction score
At a local fishing store today I stumbled across a Filson Tote I’m not familiar with... originally $400 they have it marked down to $225 until tomorrow, then it goes back to $299.

Anyone seen this thing before? I kinda want it... View attachment 1225105

I ended up stopping back by my local store and they ended up marking down the bag further to $170... for that price I couldn't pass it up. I've been carrying it to work for the last week and I absolutely love it. It's got great internal organization, a spacious main compartment, perfect sized water bottle pockets on each side... my only complaint is that it can hold so much that it can become very heavy if I'm not mindful of overfilling it.

I'll post some pictures of the interior when I get a chance.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ended up stopping back by my local store and they ended up marking down the bag further to $170... for that price I couldn't pass it up. I've been carrying it to work for the last week and I absolutely love it. It's got great internal organization, a spacious main compartment, perfect sized water bottle pockets on each side... my only complaint is that it can hold so much that it can become very heavy if I'm not mindful of overfilling it.

I'll post some pictures of the interior when I get a chance.
That’s a nice bag at a great price Woods. How does the canvas feel compared to twill? Is it thicker? I’m assuming it’s not waxed/impregnated like the twill, so will age differently.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen any of the new “Mackinaw Red” luggage on the secondary market at a reasonable price yet? I’m considering a small duffle in that color but can’t afford full retail price (and/or don’t want to).

The red duffle caught my eye too. Thought it might look really good faded with the Nantucket Red color. Plus I like the honey colored leather. MSRP is more than I wish to pay too. Especially since I already have an old Talon era small duffle in tan.

woodsjw

Reaction score
That’s a nice bag at a great price Woods. How does the canvas feel compared to twill? Is it thicker? I’m assuming it’s not waxed/impregnated like the twill, so will age differently.

It has a much more textured appearance than the twill but feels every bit as rugged. There is also some slight decolorization where the fabric bends/slumps when the bag is not being carried, which give it the appear of some sort of light waxing or dye... I'm not totally sure.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
Thought this was the best place to share my sadness.
“The one that got away”
I was in California last week and I had chanced upon an online seller with a EUC Talon OG medium duffle asking for a mere 100 bucks. I contacted the seller a week before my arrival and made plans to complete the purchase in person. The date of my arrival was closing in and I made attempts to reach the seller to finalize details. Alas, he stopped replying to my messages and my hope faded. The mysterious seller and his beautiful bag disappeared into the wind without a trace. What could have been ...

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 48 hour enjoying, well, 48 hours in the Silicon Valley.

Attachments

• 7A1E69C9-2BC3-45BD-86EB-AE3294C73C7D.jpeg
    7A1E69C9-2BC3-45BD-86EB-AE3294C73C7D.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 94

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here’s what happens when you compare large duffle, XL outfitter and large rolling duffle. I was curious to see whether the rolling and non rolling duffle could take the same volume.

Rolling in Green, slightly shorter
1D2B5D34-379F-4CE9-927B-CA74E7DCB0A8.jpeg

But also squarer, so I’d argue actual volume is basically the same. Non rolling could probably be stuffed more due to having no frame/backplate. However, at that point carrying it is miserable. Been there, done that.
6185B725-CAE1-409D-A5D2-C1C8FA7891AC.jpeg

At a quick glance, quite hard to tell apart.
5B69371A-47E1-4981-9436-990F870C842C.jpeg

Taking the same contents from the tan (non rolling duffle). Will it fit into an XL outfitter? Yes. Outfitter is clearly much closer to absolutely full, but even so, I was quite surprised.
213E8954-5E49-4B45-850A-78A4395DDC67.jpeg

Just because...But here is an original Pullman just for comparison and scale.
7B9E6C18-8C6A-4399-A82F-4A457156B4F7.jpeg

Conclusion: I’m likely to keep the rolling duffle, rather than the original. It’ll take the same volume, is easier to carry, will mark less if checked as is Otter, and is slightly cooler with the older logo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads