• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@woodsjw thought about you when I saw this. Might be one size too large though

woodsjw

Reaction score
@woodsjw thought about you when I saw this. Might be one size too large though

Thanks OMG! I ended up finding one a few months back but ended up selling it after I got it... just not enough cold weather here in TX to justify having two of them!

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK folks, several posts coming up. Feel free to skip ahead if you aren’t interested!

Last week I was browsing facebook marketplace, which here in the UK is used as a local classifieds site, and is a great resource. This is a bad habit and can lead to a lot of ‘what if’ questions.

To my astonishment, there was a new post matching my ‘Filson’ search. 4 bags being sold as a bundle. For the not very much amount of about $70 per bag. For you US based bargain hunters, this isn’t all that unusual perhaps, but here, it’s unprecedented in my experience.

So, negotiations ensue, postage is arranged and these things show up yesterday. I knew approximately which models I was getting, but the photos were a little blurry, and the build tags not shown. I was told the bags were about 8 years old, and I could see the older style ‘might as well have the best’ tags, plus what looked like YKK zips. Seller was an assistant for someone, knew little about the bags, or their rarity in this market.

Here’s what I saw after unpacking the parcel

DF69B551-587E-4175-A2AB-3EEFEB2915D4.jpeg

Thus:
Garment bag 270 08/05
Large outfitter 239 11/06
Large rolling duffle 283 07/06
XL rolling duffle 284 06/05

Overall, condition is very good. Twill is soft and doesn’t smell. Leather is good, with russet colours coming through where scratched. A few areas on the twill with small marks that can be removed with a little TLC.

I guess I didn’t really buy these to keep all of them, but figured if I could sell one or two I’d be break even.

I’ll comment on each in some posts below.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here’s the 239 large outfitter. I’d never seen one of these in the flesh, but heard about them. Wow. It’s a beast, both in size and construction. I had initially thought from the seller pic that this was an MTB, but then saw the side zip pockets and a tell tale zip puller down below. So it had to be an outfitter, but didn’t know if it was the regular or large.

8AABEE75-D9AB-4CF0-8188-0A6AB6D7DFA4.jpeg

A very square, handsome bag. Of the 4 this is the most likely to be kept.

57B069CF-663F-4F1C-ACB7-9238ADFA7D9C.jpeg

Yes, that’s RW 877 with lots of room to spare in the base compartment. The inner fabric dividers are missing I think, because there are studs where they might have gone.

CB5E141F-7B63-4372-9DB0-4361F7A9724D.jpeg

4 big YKK zips on this thing.

A padded shoulder strap was included and it’s hard to be sure, but it seems absolutely brand new and unused. It might be a replacement.

Would I use this? For large car carry, yes. It’s a good shape for a car trunk - more efficient and boxy than my large duffle. I will test pack both to see which holds more.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
270 Garment bag.

EE6A5A6D-C32D-473E-9583-9528B0E478FC.jpeg

This feels like a US army issue uniform carrier somehow. It’s as very nice, overbuilt piece, but I guess feels a bit outdated in shape. It would swallow a lot of stuff I think, and the shoe pockets on the inside are neat. I think the buckles on the bottom are in the wrong place - surely this is where all the abrasion will occur?

B7DBD421-14CF-4767-B8D4-BFE82CDDEE92.jpeg

Shoulder strap is missing on this one. I wouldn’t mind keeping this - be a fun way to show up to a black tie country weekend with my tux. And given that happens about once every 5 years, I guess I’ll probably sell this one.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The big beast - XL rolling duffle. It’s absolutely huge. I like the fact it doesn’t have an extending handle - just a big leather grip on top.

E0E2C255-2AF6-414B-844D-E0DC8339E9B3.jpeg

Then the massive chunk’o’cow on the base
EC1AAAD7-D9B7-427C-9D06-ED4FBA99E6B3.jpeg

This is in the worst overall condition - a tear and a crack in the plastic housing meaning one of the wheels is loose and not taking weight. (Not shown) You can see in the pic that the screw is pulling through the plastic too.

Question: is this something Filson will fix under warranty? The broken wheel housing is a problem, as is the hole as it will likely get worse.
44036F86-8520-4260-8FFF-4D1B93D61037.jpeg

I may keep if I can get it fixed, and sell my large duffle. The wheels are very nice to have!

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lastly, the regular rolling duffle. No damage on this on, thankfully.

A254D5D3-95F3-4959-818D-7E4B64BA7EB3.jpeg

Handle works well, and patina on the leather patches is nice
DE532499-1192-4C84-B245-EAB011D52C35.jpeg

Both this and the XL have these zipped internal pockets. They almost seem to work better when laid flat across the top of your stuff, which might make sense for quick access to smaller / important items
CEF055A4-2AD5-4E93-9363-17F7E1FEBF7A.jpeg

I could see us using this as a family hauler - it’s not so huge as to be untenable, but is definitely a capacious bag. For all those reasons it’d probably sell well too, especially given that new here it’s about £600!!

So, if you made it this far, thanks for reading. Any advice or suggestions as to what to keep and what to sell (or offers...) is welcome! It’s going to be hard to justify my large duffle and pullman - and outfitter and 2x rolling duffles.

Finally - @OtterMeanGreen - I hope I haven’t induced you into an OG coma ;-)

Wandering

Reaction score

View attachment 1229475

View attachment 1229476

Both this and the XL have these zipped internal pockets. They almost seem to work better when laid flat across the top of your stuff, which might make sense for quick access to smaller / important items
View attachment 1229477

I could see us using this as a family hauler - it’s not so huge as to be untenable, but is definitely a capacious bag. For all those reasons it’d probably sell well too, especially given that new here it’s about £600!!

So, if you made it this far, thanks for reading. Any advice or suggestions as to what to keep and what to sell (or offers...) is welcome! It’s going to be hard to justify my large duffle and pullman - and outfitter and 2x rolling duffles.

Very nice bags. Filson has got a good rolling luggage assortment. It's only too bad that none of their rolling luggage is truly carry-on, except for their now discontinued Small rolling duffle when not full, which I have and like a lot.
It also has got the zipped internal pocket, but not the flap covering the main compartment. I feel it makes it stand out from the other duffles that way, so I don't miss it.
I have returned my (only recently updated) Rolling carry-on bag as I've come to the conclusion that no European airline would accept it as carry-on...Quite an oversight on Filson's part, I feel.

Wandering

Reaction score
270 Garment bag.

View attachment 1229469

This feels like a US army issue uniform carrier somehow. It’s as very nice, overbuilt piece, but I guess feels a bit outdated in shape. It would swallow a lot of stuff I think, and the shoe pockets on the inside are neat. I think the buckles on the bottom are in the wrong place - surely this is where all the abrasion will occur?

View attachment 1229470

Shoulder strap is missing on this one. I wouldn’t mind keeping this - be a fun way to show up to a black tie country weekend with my tux. And given that happens about once every 5 years, I guess I’ll probably sell this one.
I've contemplated buying such a garment bag on sale. Until I saw how big it really was (would be too heavy for me with shoes and shoe trees included) and some reviewers said the hanger holders were not shut tight.

So now I'll have the regular suit cover on my wish list :)

CCF1897

Reaction score

View attachment 1229475

View attachment 1229476

View attachment 1229477

@speedy611 congrats on the purchase looks like you’ve got some great bags there! Appreciate the detail you gave to describe the conditions as well. I don’t think you would have any issue getting Filson to fix that XL in my experience. The one issue I can see is they might deem it easier to replace vs repair. So that’s always a risk, I’ve been able to work with them and come to agreement before hand that we would talk about replace vs repair before any action was taken if they felt a repair was not worth the effort.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@speedy611 congrats on the purchase looks like you’ve got some great bags there! Appreciate the detail you gave to describe the conditions as well. I don’t think you would have any issue getting Filson to fix that XL in my experience. The one issue I can see is they might deem it easier to replace vs repair. So that’s always a risk, I’ve been able to work with them and come to agreement before hand that we would talk about replace vs repair before any action was taken if they felt a repair was not worth the effort.
Thank you. Yes, it’s an interesting one - if they wanted to replace I’d have to think about that. Either way it’s not a bad situation to be in!

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK folks, several posts coming up. Feel free to skip ahead if you aren’t interested!

Last week I was browsing facebook marketplace, which here in the UK is used as a local classifieds site, and is a great resource. This is a bad habit and can lead to a lot of ‘what if’ questions.

To my astonishment, there was a new post matching my ‘Filson’ search. 4 bags being sold as a bundle. For the not very much amount of about $70 per bag. For you US based bargain hunters, this isn’t all that unusual perhaps, but here, it’s unprecedented in my experience.

So, negotiations ensue, postage is arranged and these things show up yesterday. I knew approximately which models I was getting, but the photos were a little blurry, and the build tags not shown. I was told the bags were about 8 years old, and I could see the older style ‘might as well have the best’ tags, plus what looked like YKK zips. Seller was an assistant for someone, knew little about the bags, or their rarity in this market.

Here’s what I saw after unpacking the parcel

View attachment 1229465

Thus:
Garment bag 270 08/05
Large outfitter 239 11/06
Large rolling duffle 283 07/06
XL rolling duffle 284 06/05

Overall, condition is very good. Twill is soft and doesn’t smell. Leather is good, with russet colours coming through where scratched. A few areas on the twill with small marks that can be removed with a little TLC.

I guess I didn’t really buy these to keep all of them, but figured if I could sell one or two I’d be break even.

I’ll comment on each in some posts below.
That’s an interesting haul and very cool that you have the old Filson gear.

pnwprice

Reaction score
Here’s the 239 large outfitter. I’d never seen one of these in the flesh, but heard about them. Wow. It’s a beast, both in size and construction. I had initially thought from the seller pic that this was an MTB, but then saw the side zip pockets and a tell tale zip puller down below. So it had to be an outfitter, but didn’t know if it was the regular or large.

View attachment 1229468

A very square, handsome bag. Of the 4 this is the most likely to be kept.

View attachment 1229466

Yes, that’s RW 877 with lots of room to spare in the base compartment. The inner fabric dividers are missing I think, because there are studs where they might have gone.

View attachment 1229467

4 big YKK zips on this thing.

A padded shoulder strap was included and it’s hard to be sure, but it seems absolutely brand new and unused. It might be a replacement.

Would I use this? For large car carry, yes. It’s a good shape for a car trunk - more efficient and boxy than my large duffle. I will test pack both to see which holds more.

I have a talon version of this bag in tan. It’s a total beast. I’ve checked it on numerous flights and has nothing but some darkened fabric to show for it. Love it.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice bags. Filson has got a good rolling luggage assortment. It's only too bad that none of their rolling luggage is truly carry-on, except for their now discontinued Small rolling duffle when not full, which I have and like a lot.
It also has got the zipped internal pocket, but not the flap covering the main compartment. I feel it makes it stand out from the other duffles that way, so I don't miss it.
I have returned my (only recently updated) Rolling carry-on bag as I've come to the conclusion that no European airline would accept it as carry-on...Quite an oversight on Filson's part, I feel.
Coming from a guy who just travelled all over Europe with a rolling carry on as a carry on, it fit the requirements of Aegean Air, Jet 2 and Easy Jet without a problem. Size was never an issue, weight was more my concern as most of the EU airlines limit to 10-12kg. Anyways, not sure where you came up with the rolling carry on not being a carry on in Europe as this was not my experience at all. I even measured for each to make sure it was fine so I’m positive on this one.

Last edited:

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speedy611, an interesting haul! Definitely would keep the Outfitter - collectible and I could see it being a nice and unique piece for weekend trips via car to the country. Having a dedicated place to put muddy or sandy footwear or even wet swim trunks is super handy.

I realize the rolling xl duffle needs repair but it is intriguing as there are definitely times when I have needed to carry a lot but the resulting weight and size is just too unwieldy to hand or strap carry for any practical distance. The question I would have is how it maneuvers with the length and relatively narrow wheelbase i.e. is it prone to tip over when being pulled? Probably the regular rolling duffe is a good size already (and in better condition) so it might be the keeper for me. Especially if it’s as least as big as the old ‘medium’ duffle which I have found easily big enough for two plus weeks for me.

The garment bag is useful for carrying formal clothing (like uniforms or tuxes). But I have had pretty good success with lighter suit carriers when I wanted to minimize wrinkling. This looks like something that might be handy for a very formal wedding out in the country where one needs several changes of clothing. But I can’t see it getting much use otherwise for most people these days. I have noted that each passing year, I see less and less business travelers use full size garment bags like were commonly in use when I was starting out in the workforce.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads