• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wandering

Reaction score
Now if the article mentioned a collapsible bike instead of a skateboard I would say it looks to me like you have a stalker Speedy :fonz:
Surely I can't be the only one to cringe at the thought of resting a leather bag on the sandpaper-like surface of a skateboard?

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bagspotting yesterday. A tan Journeyman with a tan large twill carry-on 70081. I thought the Journeyman looked great in tan. The large carry-on which was only half full looked a bit floppy. A good “personal item” and “carry-on” combo.

Attachments

• 9D12A1D3-CE3D-416B-BA00-59E7C0AC10DC.jpeg
    9D12A1D3-CE3D-416B-BA00-59E7C0AC10DC.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 126

pnwprice

Reaction score
Interesting that they are using this leather on a lot of the FRD bags. It’s strange in that it almost has a waxy feel to the outside. It’s also 1.5 times as thick as their ‘normal’ bridle leather. I’m sure it will darken with age but I’m curious how the finishing process was different on this leather.

View attachment 1226788

From my understanding (and talking with the FRD folks), this leather is much more expensive, and this is the reason it’s used more on the “limited” workshop bags and restoration bags. It also softens much more over time. This is why you see talon bags with that lightened, suede-like side.

pnwprice

Reaction score
I just had to have one of these bags. ?‍♂️

Attachments

• 05091C17-9504-4FA9-96DC-0AE0CD78EA51.jpeg
    05091C17-9504-4FA9-96DC-0AE0CD78EA51.jpeg
    295.1 KB · Views: 129
  • 4547AABD-A0FB-49F5-A7EB-FB99F6132721.jpeg
    4547AABD-A0FB-49F5-A7EB-FB99F6132721.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 117
  • E83CB400-BC30-44D9-A15F-2D383B00C376.jpeg
    E83CB400-BC30-44D9-A15F-2D383B00C376.jpeg
    410.5 KB · Views: 159

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All this recent discussion about the Journeyman made me pull it out and sub it today for my field satchel as my work EDC. Verdict? It really is a very well made daypack and it’s looking better with time as the tin cloth and twill patinates slightly differently.

Looking at it, I can see why it cost more than the Ranger due to cost of construction (pockets, lining, zipper). But I still feel a bit too much like a student or intern carrying one to work. Especially since I don’t commute by train or bus or anything arduous or long.

Attachments

• 9FE0E3A1-B976-456F-A92A-920183747B08.jpeg
    9FE0E3A1-B976-456F-A92A-920183747B08.jpeg
    372.2 KB · Views: 168

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just had to have one of these bags. ?‍♂️

That’s very striking! The leather is beautiful. Does the red twill fade with time? I think a more washed out colour would appeal to me more, but perhaps the pop is what you like? Anyway, congrats.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking at getting the 48h duffle, missed out on the one sold by speedy611 a few pages back, so scanning eBay and other sources at the moment.

The style of this bag if fantastic imho, but I'm having some concerns regarding the material. I have a couple of 22-oz twill/canvas bags, and one tin cloth backpack (model #017). I feel that the latter is not as rugged and durable as the twill bags. It's like it gets worn at the "wrinkles" of the cloth. The softer twill does not show this wear at all. I do not use my tin cloth backpack a lot, but I really like its appearance and functionality. Would perhaps use it more If I felt that its material was more durable. Am I exaggerating or have you tin cloth bag owners also observed this?

I am a big fan of mine, but don't really have too many occasions to use it as in its name is good for two nighters. I did bring it along for a seven day trip, but it was more an auxiliary bag for my Osprey 60 liter duffle.

I have not had any issues with the tin cloth as of yet, but you are right it is less rugged than the twill and I have worn out holes in the latter. The used tin cloth backpackI picked up also has tears near the drawstring from wear and tear, so your concern regarding tin cloth is not unwarranted. I would still recommend the 48-hour though. It's great with all of its pockets. I like it so much I am on the hunt for a 24-hour to daily carry instead of my 256 or leather field satchel.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a big fan of mine, but don't really have too many occasions to use it as in its name is good for two nighters. I did bring it along for a seven day trip, but it was more an auxiliary bag for my Osprey 60 liter duffle.

I have not had any issues with the tin cloth as of yet, but you are right it is less rugged than the twill and I have worn out holes in the latter. The used tin cloth backpackI picked up also has tears near the drawstring from wear and tear, so your concern regarding tin cloth is not unwarranted. I would still recommend the 48-hour though. It's great with all of its pockets. I like it so much I am on the hunt for a 24-hour to daily carry instead of my 256 or leather field satchel.
I have the 48 hour and have traveled quite a bit with it. I've had it for about two years now.

I've had no concerns with the wear and tear on the tin cloth. Mine is holding up very well and is in great shape.

I've also had the 24 hour bag (which is basically the same bag, just smaller) - it was also a great bag but I did notice a bit more wear and tear on the corners of that bag along with the front pocket zippers not being as sturdy as the traditional Filson super-strength zippers (it was actually the fabric around the zippers that failed on mine - Filson took care of me though). Each of these issues were caused by my daily carry of the 24 hour bag - the 48 hour bag will just get a lot less use. Even if you travel a ton, there is no way it will go through as much wear and tear as any daily carry bag.

I can't recommend the 48 hour bag enough. I think it's one of the most well-designed bags that the modern Filson company has produced.

There are some real purists on this forum who will only do the thicker twill bags. I have a lot of respect for them and their wants, but trust me, the 48 hour bag will suit you VERY well for years and years and years.

The only risk of you hanging out on this forum is that the desire to buy the next and the newest (or maybe better said as the 'oldest') bag on this forum is very addictive. That desire will undoubtedly be stronger than any risk of the 48 hour bag failing.

pnwprice

Reaction score
That’s very striking! The leather is beautiful. Does the red twill fade with time? I think a more washed out colour would appeal to me more, but perhaps the pop is what you like? Anyway, congrats.

Time will tell! The natural leather tends to age very beautifully.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To complement a red duffle...
I stumbled on this pretty rare red nanamica tote in Canada if it’s if interest to anyone. No affiliation to me etc.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the 48 hour and have traveled quite a bit with it. I've had it for about two years now.

I've had no concerns with the wear and tear on the tin cloth. Mine is holding up very well and is in great shape.

I've also had the 24 hour bag (which is basically the same bag, just smaller) - it was also a great bag but I did notice a bit more wear and tear on the corners of that bag along with the front pocket zippers not being as sturdy as the traditional Filson super-strength zippers (it was actually the fabric around the zippers that failed on mine - Filson took care of me though). Each of these issues were caused by my daily carry of the 24 hour bag - the 48 hour bag will just get a lot less use. Even if you travel a ton, there is no way it will go through as much wear and tear as any daily carry bag.

I can't recommend the 48 hour bag enough. I think it's one of the most well-designed bags that the modern Filson company has produced.

There are some real purists on this forum who will only do the thicker twill bags. I have a lot of respect for them and their wants, but trust me, the 48 hour bag will suit you VERY well for years and years and years.

The only risk of you hanging out on this forum is that the desire to buy the next and the newest (or maybe better said as the 'oldest') bag on this forum is very addictive. That desire will undoubtedly be stronger than any risk of the 48 hour bag failing.

Well said. The other thing is there is little risk in using any Filson hard (my LTB just came back unscathed from American Airlines today after being lost at DFW) as the bags are durable, look better with use, and can be repaired at Filson (with the ‘oversewing’ repair work actually increasing the desirability of the bag!).

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do I remember someone looking for a small travel kit? The Filson FB group has a brand new one in navy going for $50. I can’t post the link because it’s a closed group, but I’m sure you can figure it out.

nevadabob

Reaction score
I finally went ahead and put my stuff on the bag list...but only the ones I use! Well, only the ones I remember. BTW, I'm looking for a Whidbey Carry-all if anyone has one laying around. That, and no price is too high for a Draftsman Weight - my last Filson bucket list item.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally went ahead and put my stuff on the bag list...but only the ones I use! Well, only the ones I remember. BTW, I'm looking for a Whidbey Carry-all if anyone has one laying around. That, and no price is too high for a Draftsman Weight - my last Filson bucket list item.

You have been looking for the draftsman weight for years! Did you find the playing card case and the pen case?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads