• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wandering

Reaction score
It is new leather. This is new harness leather. They use it a lot on workshop and FRD bags.
Would you also know if they dye it or if this is the natural patina it takes on? Or perhaps they let it develop patina before they use it.

pnwprice

Reaction score
Would you also know if they dye it or if this is the natural patina it takes on? Or perhaps they let it develop patina before they use it.

It’s just tanned that color. They made a series of totes and 256 in this color combo. I still see them in the Seattle stores. I almost bought one this weekend! (I got the Mackinaw red duffle instead)

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking at getting the 48h duffle, missed out on the one sold by speedy611 a few pages back, so scanning eBay and other sources at the moment.

The style of this bag if fantastic imho, but I'm having some concerns regarding the material. I have a couple of 22-oz twill/canvas bags, and one tin cloth backpack (model #017). I feel that the latter is not as rugged and durable as the twill bags. It's like it gets worn at the "wrinkles" of the cloth. The softer twill does not show this wear at all. I do not use my tin cloth backpack a lot, but I really like its appearance and functionality. Would perhaps use it more If I felt that its material was more durable. Am I exaggerating or have you tin cloth bag owners also observed this?
I’m possibly the wrong person to reply here, given that I just sold both my tin cloth rucksack and my 48 hr. The primary reason in both cases was wanting a bit more space. The secondary was I came to realize I preferred the more classic designs - in twill. I had no experience of the tin cloth failing, but I did clearly see that it’s a different animal to the twill.

The 48 is a very good looking bag, the front pockets are extremely useful and the size is excellent for 2-3 days, sometimes more depending on season and circumstances. The only real twill alternatives (currently) are a duffle or small Pullman, neither of which have those convenient front pockets. You can look at secondary market MTB, 266 or 242, all of which are a bit bigger, and may not appeal or suit your needs.

Wandering

Reaction score
It’s just tanned that color. They made a series of totes and 256 in this color combo. I still see them in the Seattle stores. I almost bought one this weekend! (I got the Mackinaw red duffle instead)
I stand corrected. ?
It's a nice colour way for sure.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is new leather. This is new harness leather. They use it a lot on workshop and FRD bags.
Interesting that they are using this leather on a lot of the FRD bags. It’s strange in that it almost has a waxy feel to the outside. It’s also 1.5 times as thick as their ‘normal’ bridle leather. I’m sure it will darken with age but I’m curious how the finishing process was different on this leather.

3EB1A1C4-AEA5-4DF3-B904-BC9F0F6432DD.jpeg

nevadabob

Reaction score
Say tinman -- willing to play let's make a deal on that tote? I'll shoot a message over with some thoughts.

woodsjw

Reaction score
MTB arrived yesterday. I really like it a lot. More then I thought I would, in fact. I'll try to take some pictures of it with my VP Weekender and share them here very soon.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MTB arrived yesterday. I really like it a lot. More then I thought I would, in fact. I'll try to take some pictures of it with my VP Weekender and share them here very soon.

Here is a fully stuffed LTB. Hopefully not the last picture (still waiting for American to locate it after last night’s flight).
48C9C93B-7CD0-4A1F-8785-AEA527B7592C.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This in a UK national newspaper today...
View attachment 1227060

I fear we may be seen like this by “outsiders”!!

Now if the article mentioned a collapsible bike instead of a skateboard I would say it looks to me like you have a stalker Speedy :fonz:

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This in a UK national newspaper today...
View attachment 1227060

I fear we may be seen like this by “outsiders”!!

I don’t think many people pay attention to other people’s luggage. But when they do, I tend to get comments expressing admiration for the (1) bag itself; (2) how compactly I am packing; (3) how strong I am to carry a bag without wheels. All good. Not that I care too much as I use Filson entirely as a personal stylistic preference since It just feels right. Just like I prefer using a DSLR to my iPhone. Or chinos rather than slacks. Or a dive watch to a dress watch. Lace-ups to loafers. Or an SUV to a sedan....

I guess if I was obviously struggling with a heavy duffle like the hipster apparently was in the newspaper article, perhaps there would be more people around me thinking I was stupid not to have a wheeled bag. But hey that’s why they invented teenage sons or airport luggage carts. My son was actually carrying my overloaded duffle in a bear hug last trip telling me it’s good training for wrestling!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MTB arrived yesterday. I really like it a lot. More then I thought I would

Congrats! I had a feeling you might, the MTB is good like that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads