• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. In a perfect world I’d probably keep it. But I don’t like having too much stuff, especially if it’s not going to get used often. Circumstances change too - the 48 was an attempt as a “one bag” solution for 1-2 night biz trips. I don’t do those at the moment, but I do have 3-5 day trips so need more space. I fear too that I’m sliding toward classic Filson more and more. All my bags are now part of the early / original line up, and all twill, excepting the tin cloth large tote.

And just to shift the blame - this is @TinMan3 and @soltrane fault! :)

I am the same way - I don’t like keeping stuff I never use. Having said that, I find if I wait long enough, there will come a travel scenario that uses every Filson bag eventually. And part of the fun is trying to decide on which bag to use when I am packing.

Regarding new vs old, I am fine as long as it’s twill. I prefer the leather on the vintage bags, but I am not against picking up a new twill bag at a good price - like the Ranger.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. In a perfect world I’d probably keep it. But I don’t like having too much stuff, especially if it’s not going to get used often. Circumstances change too - the 48 was an attempt as a “one bag” solution for 1-2 night biz trips. I don’t do those at the moment, but I do have 3-5 day trips so need more space. I fear too that I’m sliding toward classic Filson more and more. All my bags are now part of the early / original line up, and all twill, excepting the tin cloth large tote.

And just to shift the blame - this is @TinMan3 and @soltrane fault! :)
I accept your blame with pride :) Tin Cloth is a remarkable material for jackets, hats, pants, and just about anything you can wear. It patinas beautifully and wears very hard, but for me personally, it doesn’t hold its shape well enough for luggage. With that said, I too have a large grab and go tote that I find very nice for groceries or beach trips no matter how floppy it may be.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I accept your blame with pride :) Tin Cloth is a remarkable material for jackets, hats, pants, and just about anything you can wear. It patinas beautifully and wears very hard, but for me personally, it doesn’t hold its shape well enough for luggage. With that said, I too have a large grab and go tote that I find very nice for groceries or beach trips no matter how floppy it may be.
Quite. My 48hr duffle sold and got taken to the post office today. In my tin cloth tote...
The irony was not lost on me.

woodsjw

Reaction score
Quite. My 48hr duffle sold and got taken to the post office today. In my tin cloth tote...
The irony was not lost on me.

I came very close to picking up the 48Hr before I decided on the MTB. Ultimately, I didn't trust the tin cloth materiel as being tough enough to be checked. Glad yours moved quickly! Are you eyeing any replacements currently?

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I came very close to picking up the 48Hr before I decided on the MTB. Ultimately, I didn't trust the tin cloth materiel as being tough enough to be checked. Glad yours moved quickly! Are you eyeing any replacements currently?
Yes! I cheated and already bought a YKK era 242 Large Carry on - pics posted up thread. Essentially, twill, classic looks and a bit bigger. I thought also about the MTB and new or old medium duffle. Then this came available, which is very unusual for the UK so I jumped.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A tan tin cloth Meridian duffle was one of the only Filson I ever sold. Good design but as woodsjw mentioned, it lacked structure. I also wasn’t convinced it could fare well even with the occasional checking. And I needed that flexibility for at least occasional checking for a max sized carry-on particularly if I ended up on a full Embraer jet.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes! I cheated and already bought a YKK era 242 Large Carry on - pics posted up thread. Essentially, twill, classic looks and a bit bigger. I thought also about the MTB and new or old medium duffle. Then this came available, which is very unusual for the UK so I jumped.

Just as an aside between 242 owners: when I paired my 242 with one of the Filson fabric straps, I found myself using it much more. I always found the OEM leather strap got in the way when hand carrying and didn’t distribute the weight all that well for the 242 where the strap attachment points are both on the same side.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just as an aside between 242 owners: when I paired my 242 with one of the Filson fabric straps, I found myself using it much more. I always found the OEM leather strap got in the way when hand carrying and didn’t distribute the weight all that well for the 242 where the strap attachment points are both on the same side.
Good to know, thanks. I have a fabric strap so will try that. What I really want is one of the the wide leather padless straps - but that will have to wait until I can find one here, or I can swallow the postage and import fees!

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to know, thanks. I have a fabric strap so will try that. What I really want is one of the the wide leather padless straps - but that will have to wait until I can find one here, or I can swallow the postage and import fees!
I have the wide leather padless strap and I use it every day on my 256 or 257 (depending). I think it's just a lot more convenient than the strap with either the padded shoulder pad or the unpadded should pad. The underside isn't the beautiful velvet that we all crave, and the topside of the leather has a little aligator skin look, but it's nice nonetheless.

I've used it so much that it's really broken in now. It was SUPER stiff when I first got it.

I now have at least three straps laying around the house that I should probably sell or something.

johnnymiz

Reaction score
Today marks 10 years of this thread and more than 16000 posts.

Perhaps a little Hemingway from “Death in the Afternoon”:

“There are some things which cannot be learned quickly, and time, which is all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring. They are the very simplest things and because it takes a man's life to know them the little that each man gets from life is very costly and the only heritage he has to leave.”

Simple things understood slowly: quality, friendship, and a love of the outdoors in its many forms. All this coalescing in an unlikely corner of the Internet.

As ever, thanks to you all for the companionship, expertise and humour.

View attachment 1223346

excerpts from Hemingway... not the usual internet fodder.
but, i am not surprised with this group.
i don't post a lot but i come here every day and enjoy it.
well done.
thank you

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today marks 10 years of this thread and more than 16000 posts.

Perhaps a little Hemingway from “Death in the Afternoon”:

“There are some things which cannot be learned quickly, and time, which is all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring. They are the very simplest things and because it takes a man's life to know them the little that each man gets from life is very costly and the only heritage he has to leave.”

Simple things understood slowly: quality, friendship, and a love of the outdoors in its many forms. All this coalescing in an unlikely corner of the Internet.

As ever, thanks to you all for the companionship, expertise and humour.

View attachment 1223346
Speedy - I'd be remiss in not thanking you for this post. As a Hemingway fan myself - this quote is so very appropriate for this little world we've carved out for ourselves.

This has become a little bit of a respite from our daily, crazy lives.

I appreciate the cameraderie on this forum.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been absent lately, my new job has been nuts. However I shall return eventually, and with the same vigor & intensity you guys know me for.

In the meantime feast your eyes on my New Rugged Twill addition to my stable.

:fonz: I tease I tease....full review forthcoming, haven’t even opened it yet. However it’s a first edition, which is all im saying:

7A37554F-A1F0-4420-986E-C061F713001A.jpeg

GzStudio

Reaction score
I’ve been absent lately, my new job has been nuts. However I shall return eventually, and with the same vigor & intensity you guys know me for.

:fonz: I tease I tease....full review forthcoming, haven’t even opened it yet. However it’s a first edition, which is all im saying:

View attachment 1224376

Looks like a Journeyman.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1224376
Look, I like dogs too, but there’s no way that one is made of twill...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads