• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Noonan67

Reaction score
I just meant because I bought them. I wish I could find a heavy tin briefcase or sportsman's bag. I took my medium duffle on an 19 day cross country trip a few years ago. I had that, my 257, and sportsman's bag and it was probably more than I needed to take. If you come across any of those heavy tin bags and want to sell them please message me.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I added my bags to the list. Bought my nephew and niece Ranger backpacks today, in black and green. I don't know if I should add them to the list. I came across another thread about the Heavy Tin Thread bags, of which I have a medium duffle. I wish I would have been able to find more models made of this material. If you think the regular bags are tough, check one of them out if you have a chance.

I wish I had a Uncle as cool as you, would've been nice to have a Filson backpack as a school bag throughout the years. I didn't go the same route as say my sister, buying a new backpack before every school year. She used one of those quintessential LL Bean backpacks with her initials from grade school all throughout college. Never knew nylon produced such rich patina until I saw hers. I'll have to snap a photo next time I see her with it.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Not a Filson

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tags still attached (but used) First Edition #264 Tan Compartment Case. Notice the Strap Mounting Points, they are on the outside of the exterior side pockets, unlike mine which are mounted on the inside of the exterior pockets. Lots of "Hulk Matter" too. Beautiful leather. I like this version a little better, as my 2nd edition doesn't allow for easy access to the exterior side pockets, as the D-Ring mounting points are intrusive, so I don't really store anything in there that's not flat. The version below is like most Filson's I've seen and I'm not sure why Filson changed it.

264 first.PNG

My #264 2nd Edition, which allegedly was owned by the CFO of Filson, but the story as yet to be described to me.

IMG_3653.JPG

Last edited:

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very pleased to snag an ultralight jacket at bargain basement price, in the color I wanted too. I’ve been on the lookout for
one of these ever since I got the vest version last fall.

0D2D1578-126E-4717-9442-CAC2AEC45758.jpeg

I think it was originally @mgrennier or @Soletrane who originally said how good these are, so thanks for the tip!

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My tin cloth hat got a hell of a workout over the weekend. It protected my dome and ears while I was replacing some bad boards on my deck and laying down some stain. Hot work...

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My tin cloth hat got a hell of a workout over the weekend. It protected my dome and ears while I was replacing some bad boards on my deck and laying down some stain. Hot work...
I have one of those (two in fact), I find it to be too damn hot in the summertime... Wasn't it hot?

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one of those (two in fact), I find it to be too damn hot in the summertime... Wasn't it hot?
Agreed. Tin packer is surprisingly hot and gets sweaty quite easily. I actually just missed out on a eBay auction where I had hoped to get a second one. I was intending to wash it to remove as much of the wax as possible and then use it as my summer hat. Oh well.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question on the list - How are we going to keep it from getting lost in pages of this thread so we can frequently reference it?

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question on the list - How are we going to keep it from getting lost in pages of this thread so we can frequently reference it?
I was thinking a monthly update with screenshots of the current charts/metrics. I could also include a link to the listing each time. Would anyone be opposed to that? We’re still waiting to have a few of our regulars add their bags. Not point fingers but...

@GzStudio
@Soletrane
@woodsjw
@Stratkat
@nevadabob
@CCF1897
@M635Guy
@Kwaker
@Chupacabra
@bucky0486

Here is the link so there are no excuses ?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking a monthly update with screenshots of the current charts/metrics. I could also include a link to the listing each time. Would anyone be opposed to that? We’re still waiting to have a few of our regulars add their bags. Not point fingers but...

@GzStudio
@Soletrane
@woodsjw
@Stratkat
@nevadabob
@CCF1897
@M635Guy
@Kwaker
@Chupacabra
@bucky0486

Here is the link so there are no excuses ?

Also on a side note the list should include bags in use, not for sale. Otherwise that could get a bit ridiculous, no?

GzStudio

Reaction score
I also rotate unlisted stock as that is one of the main points I do what I do.....it'll be hard. I change bags at least 2 times at week on average.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads