• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Figured I’d show off something I just got that y’all would enjoy. Topo Designs Klettersack. I love the cordura, The zippers are beefy and sexy, and it smells nice (something I don’t like about my Filson bags.)

Made in USA and hits at about $180 but $100 on backcountry. This is the kind of amazing product slowly reminding me how overpriced Filson is becoming in some aspects. This bag feels solid, and I love the feel of this canvas. Really recommend this company to any curious.
View attachment 1205146 View attachment 1205147

Is it canvas? I thought most of their packs were Cordura.

I don't have any Topo backpacks, but do have their dopp kit, a hip pack and some smaller pouches. I do like those, but none of their packs really appeal to much to me. For those type of packs I prefer Gregory or Osprey, but there is certainly a less technical appeal to them for everyday streetwear.

Kwaker

Reaction score
I think you're right about the 257, generally speaking, as it relates to the 256. I have both bags in tan. I go back and forth between the two but usually find that the 256 works better for daily carry (and really carries a LOT more than you'd think).

That said, a question for the group. Some of you have removed the center divider to make it a bag with a bigger middle pocket. I find myself not using the extra divider to store stuff (i'm able to put my trinkets on/in the one divider). For those that have removed the divider, are you finding it to be a good move on your parts? Any regrets?
I kept the divider but removed the 3 pockets that I found to be bulky (replacing them with leather pouches).
I’m pleased with the modification, but regret not being more careful undoing the bar-tacking (I tore into the divider itself while removing those pockets. D137D96B-16B3-48C8-96D7-5636F0DB1EAA.jpeg

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you're right about the 257, generally speaking, as it relates to the 256. I have both bags in tan. I go back and forth between the two but usually find that the 256 works better for daily carry (and really carries a LOT more than you'd think).

That said, a question for the group. Some of you have removed the center divider to make it a bag with a bigger middle pocket. I find myself not using the extra divider to store stuff (i'm able to put my trinkets on/in the one divider). For those that have removed the divider, are you finding it to be a good move on your parts? Any regrets?

I can’t speak to the 257 but I did remove a divider from my 258. It’s straight forward, just go slowly. On the 258 the extra divider is attached to another divider that is sewn to the actual edge seam of the 258. So it’s easy to remove as the extra on isn’t integral to the bag. That might be different on the 257. Personally I wouldn’t want to have to cut (rather than undo stitches) the divider out if that ended up being the choice.
It made a big difference to my use, stopping bigger things getting hung up as I shoved them in.
Lastly I repeat what I’ve said previously- you can get a heck of a lot in a 256. I lived out of mine as a mobile office on a 4 month round the world trip.

DNSamurai

Reaction score
I'm a lawyer and started with a 256. Eventually I found I needed just a little more room. Got a 257 and never looked back. That being said, I'm now contemplating a backpack. Any fellow lawyers here using a Journeyman or similar for your daily carry?

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can’t speak to the 257 but I did remove a divider from my 258. It’s straight forward, just go slowly. On the 258 the extra divider is attached to another divider that is sewn to the actual edge seam of the 258. So it’s easy to remove as the extra on isn’t integral to the bag. That might be different on the 257. Personally I wouldn’t want to have to cut (rather than undo stitches) the divider out if that ended up being the choice.
It made a big difference to my use, stopping bigger things getting hung up as I shoved them in.
Lastly I repeat what I’ve said previously- you can get a heck of a lot in a 256. I lived out of mine as a mobile office on a 4 month round the world trip.
Agreed - and I've traveled the world too (although 95% US domestic travel) - and i travel a LOT - nearly every week with my 256. It's a great bag and will continue to be my go-to, most likely. That said, I've decided to carry the 257 recently - mostly because of a recent long trip where I wanted a bit more space for sunglass case, Bose QC35s, and I just felt like I was carrying more stuff. That's where 257 shines. That said, I'm really not happy with the extra internal divider. It adds weight and doesn't really offer me any functional benefits. May cut it out or, possibly, just cut out the pockets (note: "cut out" is the wrong term - I'll carefully and gently remove the threads).

I've thought, many times, about selling the 257 but I find myself going back to it enough times where I may as well keep it.

If I need EXTRA space, then I can always switch to the Journeyman, but that's a rarity for me, it seems.

Canuckle

Reaction score
I keep wanting to add to my collection, but I am finding it hard to do so. I only have two bags: 256 (Original Briefcase) and 246 (MTB). The combination of the two seems like the most perfect way to travel. I bring the 256 as my personal item and the 246 as a carry on. I can travel for weeks at a time. And if I am only going somewhere for a few days, the MTB can be packed 50 or 60% and still carry very well and look nice, unlike the old Medium Duffel I had which was awful. I originally considered a 257, but I didn't like the internal divider and I also disliked the snaps on the handles.

Anyone else pack a 246+256 combo? Is it just me, or is this a pretty slick way to travel? Took me years to find this combo!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I keep wanting to add to my collection, but I am finding it hard to do so. I only have two bags: 256 (Original Briefcase) and 246 (MTB). The combination of the two seems like the most perfect way to travel. I bring the 256 as my personal item and the 246 as a carry on. I can travel for weeks at a time. And if I am only going somewhere for a few days, the MTB can be packed 50 or 60% and still carry very well and look nice, unlike the old Medium Duffel I had which was awful. I originally considered a 257, but I didn't like the internal divider and I also disliked the snaps on the handles.

Anyone else pack a 246+256 combo? Is it just me, or is this a pretty slick way to travel? Took me years to find this combo!

Pretty close. Actually was intending on a Talon Otter Green 256 but the opportunity of a lifetime presented itself to me in the form of a 1st edition like-new #257 and only for $237, so I took it and haven’t looked back.

Decided to take a new photo instead of recycling the same ones. The MTB is unloaded for my weekly travels. I love how the MTB looks full, the quintessential Filson look.
04838F14-7E7A-44BD-8923-24A6CD0747E0.jpeg

9CE20491-3216-4D4C-95F0-F2FE7F8717BD.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decided to try something different this week. I still had my cotton webbed Filson Strap leftover from my #266 that I exchanged with @GzStudio . So I put it to good use on my other Sportsman, the 264. It carries quite comfortably and looks cool contrasted with the Tan Twill.

8F7A78D7-4A8E-4E34-BB5A-189D46DDEBEE.jpeg

Last edited:

huelecama

Reaction score
Does anyone have a large Filson FRD pouch for sale? Specifically looking for the early models that have the "might as well have the best" tag.

Noonan67

Reaction score
I added my bags to the list. Bought my nephew and niece Ranger backpacks today, in black and green. I don't know if I should add them to the list. I came across another thread about the Heavy Tin Thread bags, of which I have a medium duffle. I wish I would have been able to find more models made of this material. If you think the regular bags are tough, check one of them out if you have a chance.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I added my bags to the list. Bought my nephew and niece Ranger backpacks today, in black and green. I don't know if I should add them to the list. I came across another thread about the Heavy Tin Thread bags, of which I have a medium duffle. I wish I would have been able to find more models made of this material. If you think the regular bags are tough, check one of them out if you have a chance.
I would say we should probably limit it to what’s in your household. So kids and wife yes, cousins, dads, aunts, would probably get hard to keep track of. Then again, I’m not going to stop you so it’s your call. I see the purpose of the list as something that we can see cool metrics on but also something to give new people an idea of who has what and ask questions about specific bags. So all that to say if you think you will be able to track their progress and report back, you may want to add them.

On your heavy tin comment. I got a heavy tin workshop bag a couple of days ago and am very impressed. It’s a 261 tote and just wow it is a monster. I meant to sell it as I love my talon 261 but I’m getting that feeling that I may have to make some tough decisions. Lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads