• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was approximately what i thought.
Only one "vintage" Talon Era Bag, veeeeeeeerrrryyyyyyy beautiful ... Even if the size and form is not so much my style.
But i could consider buy it on Ebay.
I guess this is a very rare bag ! and expensive app. 350 $ minimum i'm pretty sure !

One big question : From which era the Sportsman bag comes from ? YKK ?
Is there some "Talon Era" Sportsman bag ? ???:inlove::inlove:

The Sportsman bag debuted during the YKK Era when the Pad-less shoulder strap was nearing the transition into the padded one we still see today. In fact there is probably (again based on my research) only about 5% of Sportsman #266's that feature the same padless shoulder strap as seen in the all of the advertising photos during it's wide release. It's so rare I've only seen 1 or 2 examples of it for sale or on google.

reglacoste

Reaction score
The Sportsman bag debuted during the YKK Era when the Pad-less shoulder strap was nearing the transition into the padded one we still see today. In fact there is probably (again based on my research) only about 5% of Sportsman #266's that feature the same padless shoulder strap as seen in the all of the advertising photos during it's wide release. It's so rare I've only seen 1 or 2 examples of it for sale or on google.
Thank you !
what could you say about Rugged twill "YKK era's" quality ? Same as "Talon Era" ?

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it’s time the regular members here created a short FAQ that we could point folk to?

For example:
Common and classic bag models and their approximate eras
Twill vs Tin cloth
A brief history of the ownership of Filson
256/257/258 which to buy?
Options for 2/3 night one and two bag carry
Overview of classic clothing: vests, Mackinaws and Cruisers
The dark side: leather, suede, special editions and FRD.

Easy to host on here or a stand alone site. (Eg “Filson FAQ - companion thread to Filson Bag Thread”. One post per FAQ item)

If we divide the topics between ourselves it’s not a big task to put this together.

Thoughts?

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it’s time the regular members here created a short FAQ that we could point folk to?

For example:
Twill vs Tin cloth

Easy to host on here or a stand alone site. (Eg “Filson FAQ - companion thread to Filson Bag Thread”. One post per FAQ item)

If we divide the topics between ourselves it’s not a big task to put this together.

Thoughts?
Because we get so many ‘common’ questions, I think it’s a great idea. I think we probably have enough willing participants to divi up the topics. I like the idea of a standalone site since it’s really not possible to stickie certain posts on here. It would make it much easier to point people in that direction.

Of course, there’s always going to be some differences of opinion, but I think that’s where topics can always be brought back to the forum for debate and personal experience.

So how do you suggest get the ball rolling@speedy611?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you !
what could you say about Rugged twill "YKK era's" quality ? Same as "Talon Era" ?

It's close, when you consider the early YKK's but like anything, quality and consistency changes. It's definitely not the same in terms of leather quality and that is a certifiable fact. There's no suede side like Talon Era, albeit maybe the first editions YKK's saw some in the transition. The underside will create a pilling effect, which is unique to the YKK Era. I actually like this look so it's not a knock against it.

That's really the only discernible difference though. The very first editions of the Talon Era (1992 to early 1999) saw a difference in Otter Green, before it's wide release, but that hardly can be chalked up to a decline in quality, as it's just a different shade (as seen in my avatar). I believe Tan saw a slight change in color too somewhere in that time period.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah a question that never gets old despite being asked many times on this thread.

These dates are based upon my research. Keep in mind the dates listed below are a close estimate, there are cases of overlap during the transitions

1.Talon Era (all editions/revisions)
1992-2002

2. YKK Era
2002-2009

3. Filson Branded YKK
2009-Current

The three categories pretty much captures it all (though transitional pieces do exist, as you mention). I think the YKK bags are what Filson could be still producing - even though the YKK era leather doesn't quite age like the Talon era pieces (that everyone uses for photo shoots). But it's not substandard stuff that pills etc either.

My YKK era field satchel doesn't even have a zipper but falls squarely into that same paradigm. It doesn't age/fade into a a beautiful mellow chestnut brown like the older Talon era satchels but doesn't have any of the QC issues with leather quality or the lock base plate detaching like the Filson era satchels.

Last edited:

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
FWIW, for how most of us use the bags, any Filson bag is gonna stand up to a lot of abuse.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The three categories pretty much captures it all (though transitional pieces do exist, as you mention). I think the YKK bags are what Filson could be still producing - even though the YKK era leather doesn't quite age like the Talon era pieces (that everyone uses for photo shoots). But it's not substandard stuff that pills etc either.

My YKK era field satchel doesn't even have a zipper but falls squarely into that same paradigm. It doesn't age/fade into a a beautiful mellow chestnut brown like the older Talon era satchels but doesn't have any of the QC issues with leather quality or the lock base plate detaching like the Filson era satchels.

I actually don't equate pilling to substandard, as it's a form of aging. I'd rather have pilling then tearing, snapping, chipping or w/e strange wear pattern which was happening on your Filson-YKK Journeyman and others like it from that era. I think the new stuff is quality too, just don't expect it to age like the Talon/YKK. I imagine it will age like a military tank.

YKK Pilling Effect for those interested:
pil 1.PNG

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, for how most of us use the bags, any Filson bag is gonna stand up to a lot of abuse.

True, however standing up and aging are two different things. The current Era (or that of the last 8 years) are going to age completely different then that of the YKK Era and most certainly the Talon Era. That's why there's a big market for them currently, especially with the ever-changing Filson we see today, some for the good and some for the bad.

Last edited:

Stratkat

Reaction score
True, however standing up and aging are two different things. The current Era (or that of the last 8 years) are going to age completely different then that of the YKK Era and most certainly the Talon Era. That's why there's a big market for them currently, especially with the ever-changing Filson we see today, some for the good and some for the bad.
can you imagine the original owners of talon era bags saying, 'gee I hope this develops a great patina some day', lol.
it doesn't matter in the scheme of things, what matters is is it going to "stand up" to abuse.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can you imagine the original owners of talon era bags saying, 'gee I hope this develops a great patina some day', lol.
it doesn't matter in the scheme of things, what matters is is it going to "stand up" to abuse.

Different things matter to different people. I had a feeling you might be chiming in yours after my response. Quality and standing up to abuse are two different things. The oldest of the Talon Era is turning 27 years and many are still on the market or being used to this day. I'd wager that is both quality and standing up to abuse. I was pretty clear that I was referring to mainly leather upon the transitions of era's. I know you're still reluctant after all this time to buy or even hold a Talon Era, as you would immediately fall in love with it ;)

I don't recall ever hearing about QC issues like this during the YKK/Talon Era's and none are apparent on the resale market that I've witnessed. Does this fit within your "standing up to abuse" category? This is just one example of many for some of the Bedrock Era Leather.

leather 1.PNG
leather 3.PNG

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, but isn’t this the case for most vintage collectibles and clothing? Using Levi’s as a perfect example. Vintage Levi’s were never purchased thinking about the fades that will develop or the deep ties they will have to American history. They were simply a pair of reliable pants. Now, vintage Levi’s are very sought after and exceptionally valuable.

You view Filson as a great tool to have in the tool chest (which is true!). But speaking for myself, I view it as a collectible and a piece of American heritage. Maybe it doesn’t have the same provenance as Levi’s, but it doesn’t matter in the long run. Otter said it well, different things matter to different people and that’s ok.

bucky0486

Reaction score

Haha! "Like Filson, but French." That's like saying "Like Porsche, but Mexican." If there was a Mexican equivalent to Porsche cars, it would have its own market. Similarly, if there was a French version of Filson bags, it would be able to stand on its own and wouldn't have to lean on Filson's name brand to sell.

CCF1897

Reaction score

For example:
Twill vs Tin cloth

Thoughts?
Agree on this and would help if needed. Great idea!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics