• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

reglacoste

Reaction score
My Dear OtterMeanGreen,

Where is the "etiquette" located on your 257 ?
The mine came without. I've been looking for everywhere but nothing ..

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Figured I would introduce myself. I made an account here because this is the only place I could find on the internet where people know more about filson than "oh cool bag!" or "yuck why's it cost that much?"

I recently got into Filson at a very specific time where I was graduating college, developing more of a sense of who I want to be as a person, getting into the mindset of buying fewer items which are of higher quality, and getting more into menswear as a whole. I gained some weight in college, and recently having lost all of it, I'm very excited about investing in lifetime clothing (though not filson clothing, it looks awful on me.) As far as other brands I am into, these include Barbour, Patagonia, Cotopaxi, Acne, etc. There is just something about Filson that I have felt with very few items in general - I get a very distinct feeling when I hold one of their bags that remind me of a person I could be. The idea of an aspirational item that at the same time does not flaunt anything to those around me was something that appealed to me a lot.

I'm a future med student in SE USA, very into outdoors brands and environmentalism. I'm an immigrant who is really trying to develop my own sense of style and values that I can pass down and build a sense of our shared culture as a family. I'm sure any fellow immigrants will agree that many of the things that to others are old and cliché can feel very new and cool to us.

Sorry for the long intro! Here's my collection, I'm done with tan for now, and really looking to pick up a Navy tote and medium duffle sometime in the future. Also the briefcase is for sale or trade to any interested.

EDIT: In case anyone is curious, I looked at the tags of all 3, and here are the details

Filson duffle: style "220" made 03/09 in the USA (picked up for $105)
Filson briefcase: style "70256" made 11/13 in the USA (picked up for $130)
Filson suitcase: made 10/17 in the dominican republic (picked up on ebay for $300)
Welcome! Thanks for the interesting first post. You’ve got a very practical collection there already. I’m always impressed that people are committed enough to sew patches on their bags. I worry I might change my mind about the patch or the bag...
A comment on “buy it for life” clothing: jackets and footwear can have very long lifetimes if properly cared for. Mackinaw wool in vests and hats also does incredibly well over the long haul. But pants and shirts tend not to. Also, circumstances change as do tastes. For what it’s worth, I’d suggest investing in a one or two pieces of outerwear and boots/shoes that you really like and have classic status or proven durability. That might not be Filson stuff of course! Good luck with it and with med school.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Dear OtterMeanGreen,

Where is the "etiquette" located on your 257 ?
The mine came without. I've been looking for everywhere but nothing ..

I’m not sure what you mean by “etiquette”, are you referring to the little white tag with coding? A vast majority of Talon Era came without any. The first editions most certainly did not, only the later editions that borderlined with the YKK Era. Hopefully that makes sense.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
I’m not sure what you mean by “etiquette”, are you referring to the little white tag with coding? A vast majority of Talon Era came without any. The first editions most certainly did not, only the later editions that borderlined with the YKK Era. Hopefully that makes sense.

Think he means the build tag too - similarly to what I was asking last week.

What’s the approximate dating with the so-called eras?

90s - ? Talon
Early 00s - ? YKK

bucky0486

Reaction score
I saw this while browsing for some medium sized duffles.

Lol, "Talon zippers."

reglacoste

Reaction score
That's exactly what i meant, than you for the answer !:cool:
Do someone know where can i buy some Filson Padlocks ?
I think i already asked but i'm not sure

;)

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what i meant, than you for the answer !:cool:
Do someone know where can i buy some Filson Padlocks ?
I think i already asked but i'm not sure

;)
Great! @GzStudio is probably your guy, but I’m not positive if he ships all the way out there. He’s our resident Filson outfitter/Armor. @TinMan3 might also be able to assist, he’s also a seasoned Filson outfitter/matchmaker lol

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw this while browsing for some medium sized duffles.

View attachment 1193578

Lol, "Talon zippers."

Haha yeah Brown Filson's certainly weren’t around for the Talon Era, neither was Black or Navy for that matter. eBay is chock full of dishonest sellers and exaggerations, that or they simply don’t know what they are selling. Common example: listing a MTB as a duffel bag.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think he means the build tag too - similarly to what I was asking last week.

What’s the approximate dating with the so-called eras?

90s - ? Talon
Early 00s - ? YKK

Ah a question that never gets old despite being asked many times on this thread.

These dates are based upon my research. Keep in mind the dates listed below are a close estimate, there are cases of overlap during the transitions

1.Talon Era (all editions/revisions)
1992-2002

2. YKK Era
2002-2009

3. Filson Branded YKK
2009-Current

Last edited:

bucky0486

Reaction score
Haha yeah Brown Filson's certainly weren’t around for the Talon Era, neither was Black or Navy for that matter. eBay is chock full of dishonest sellers and exaggerations, that or they simply don’t know what they are selling. Common example: listing a MTB as a duffel bag.

When I saw "Brown" and "Talon" in the same sentence, I knew that was a red flag. But then to include a close-up picture of the zippers that clearly say "FILSON," I had to laugh. The only thing I can think is that the seller noticed that other Filson items that listed "Talon zippers" went for more money and threw that in the description in the hopes of luring in an unsuspecting buyer.

I'm not sure if it's dishonesty or incompetence. Either way, I'm not a buyer.

reglacoste

Reaction score
Ah a question that never gets old despite being asked many times on this thread.

These dates are based upon my research. Keep in mind the dates listed below are a close estimate, there are cases of overlap during the transitions

1.Talon Era (all editions/revisions)
1992-2002

2. YKK Era
2002-2009

3. Filson Branded YKK
2009-Current
Do you know when the Journey Man and roll top backpack have been released ?
I've both of them, great for daily and hiking.
Just curious to know if there are some of these bags from YKK era but i guess not.

What were the back packs bags from Talon Era ?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know when the Journey Man and roll top backpack have been released ?
I've both of them, great for daily and hiking.
Just curious to know if there are some of these bags from YKK era but i guess not.

What were the back packs bags from Talon Era ?

Journeyman is a Bedrock creation for sure, as is the Roll Top. I'm not positive of the Roll Top's release date, but it is somewhere around 2015-2016. First Editions of the Journeyman is I believe late 2012-2013. Bedrock took control in First Quarter of 2012.

The only Talon/Era Backpack style bag is going to be the Rucksack.

reglacoste

Reaction score
That was approximately what i thought.
Only one "vintage" Talon Era Bag, veeeeeeeerrrryyyyyyy beautiful ... Even if the size and form is not so much my style.
But i could consider buy it on Ebay.
I guess this is a very rare bag ! and expensive app. 350 $ minimum i'm pretty sure !

One big question : From which era the Sportsman bag comes from ? YKK ?
Is there some "Talon Era" Sportsman bag ? ???:inlove::inlove:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads