• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Looks like a nice happy Buffalo Plaid Family. BTW I’m rooting for St. Louis for their first Cup win. Hoping they pull off a Game 7 upset in front of a Boston crowd.
Considering I live in St. Louis right now, I'm REALLY rooting for the Blues to beat the Bruins. I really can't stand Marchand (just during this series, I guess) but he's doing something right. Filson clothes being just one of them...

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I was thinking it might be okay for my son as a personal item with whom everything just ends up being a jumbled mess of phone charger, cords, drinks, snacks anyway.

I’d be concerned about it tipping over in the overhead bin and stuff falling everywhere. Small items might not then be noticed and thus lost. Also might not fit upright under the seat in front, with similar results. Loosing stuff under airline seats is a nightmare - I’ve done it too often!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you guys see the latest Carl Murawski video on Filson. Pretty entertaining.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently this guy was pretty busy at an estate sale. He has at least 3 beautiful Talon Era Filson's in Tan; one is the flap-less small duffel and another is a gorgeous first edition MTB #246, which is definitely the older larger size (as seen in the first picture). Also it features a wide shoulder strap without padding, and it looks to be the old world quality version.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out that markup. Crazy!! Beautiful old world quality vintage Filson 1980's Jac Shirt with the tags somehow still attached.

price.PNG

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shameless Filson/Shinola watch post... pairs well with Greek IPA.

I like some of the Filson watch designs (no doubt benefiting from the Shinola connection). I particularly like the field watch with its simple design, domed crystal and absence of the date. The bold Arabic numerals giving it a more modern look.

Field.JPG

nevadabob

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think Shinola is making Filson's watches any more...new country of origin and new price points gots me all sortsa suspicious.

Also, the fact that Filson sold watches, stopped, sold watches made by Filson, stopped, and now is selling more watches is another flag for me.

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think Shinola is making Filson's watches any more...new country of origin and new price points gots me all sortsa suspicious.

Also, the fact that Filson sold watches, stopped, sold watches made by Filson, stopped, and now is selling more watches is another flag for me.
I spoke with a Filson employee. They dove into the watch game a few years back with Shinola and it was the right idea at the wrong price point and too much too fast. They sold off all inventory (at heavy discounts).

They worked with the Shinola to design the ‘New’ Filson Field Watch styles. They are made in Japan but from very good quality materials and at a much more reasonable price point.

I think they are doing now what should have been done in the first place. While I liked their old style (field watch, Dutch harbor, Skagit, and a few more), starting with one simple classic design at a price point that won’t scare people away then building out from there is the way to go. You don’t get the MiUSA perception, but I think they will be more successful this way.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
FWIW Shinola is an exceptionally shady company and Filson is continuing a bad mistake by associating with them

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW Shinola is an exceptionally shady company and Filson is continuing a bad mistake by associating with them
Ahh but Filson and Shinola have similar ownership. I don’t know the details of the ownership structure but they are both owned in whole or more likely in part by Bedrock Holdings. You may have read on here that the Filson of the ‘90s and 2000’s no longer exists today, this would be why. Filson today is a Marketing Company selling an image and feeding off of the goodwill of its loyal customers. Yes, they still offer some excellent products and they still have manufacturing plants in the USA, but I’m not sure I would say they are too far different from Shinola. Just an opinion.

Another opinion, Shinola makes a quality timepiece that while it is overpriced remarkably, should last a very long time, and they will fix or replace for life. The ‘Assembled in the USA’ mantra is BS and they really pride themselves on their commitment to Detroit. One would think they singlehandedly brought Detroit out of bankruptcy. Anyways, I find both Filson and Shinola to be interesting marketing companies who have mastered selling high priced products to the masses using similar strategies. Not really all that different of an approach.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you care to elaborate? I have no ax to grind, just curious. I’ve never seen a Shinola product I’d want to buy or own, and don’t have any resonance with the Detroit heritage. But they must have some sort of customer base, or be on some loss-making equity funded expansion plan, given their high prices and retail locations...

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Ahh but Filson and Shinola have similar ownership. I don’t know the details of the ownership structure but they are both owned in whole or more likely in part by Bedrock Holdings. You may have read on here that the Filson of the ‘90s and 2000’s no longer exists today, this would be why. Filson today is a Marketing Company selling an image and feeding off of the goodwill of its loyal customers. Yes, they still offer some excellent products and they still have manufacturing plants in the USA, but I’m not sure I would say they are too far different from Shinola. Just an opinion.

Another opinion, Shinola makes a quality timepiece that while it is overpriced remarkably, should last a very long time, and they will fix or replace for life. The ‘Assembled in the USA’ mantra is BS and they really pride themselves on their commitment to Detroit. One would think they singlehandedly brought Detroit out of bankruptcy. Anyways, I find both Filson and Shinola to be interesting marketing companies who have mastered selling high priced products to the masses using similar strategies. Not really all that different of an approach.

Sure, but at least Filson is making their products in the US -- they aren't making them overseas, adding a final stitch in the US, and stamping "US MADE" on them.

Would you care to elaborate? I have no ax to grind, just curious. I’ve never seen a Shinola product I’d want to buy or own, and don’t have any resonance with the Detroit heritage. But they must have some sort of customer base, or be on some loss-making equity funded expansion plan, given their high prices and retail locations...

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure, but at least Filson is making their products in the US -- they aren't making them overseas, adding a final stitch in the US, and stamping "US MADE" on them.

I'm originally from Detroit and have a strong affinity to the city (I lived there most of my life) and to the revitalization of the inner city. I've also been able to visit the Shinola factory in downtown Detroit and have seen people making the watches. Are many of the components outsourced? Uh, yes. Of course.

But to walk in that store/factory and see people making products, (I don't even care if it's the last step in the process or not), to see inner city Detroiters working, to see the number of shops, bars and restaurants open around that area, makes me happy to be from Detroit and a proud American. Hell, there's even a Filson store two doors down from the Detroit location. The Detroit Shinola store has had a good crowd nearly every time I've been there.

Are the Shinola products over-priced? Hell yea they are. Does that matter to me? Hell no it doesn't. (BTW, ever buy a Louis Vuitton bag? Talk about over-priced).

Shinola has priced their products at a price-point that attempts to establish themselves as a "premium" brand. I've seen their leather goods up close, I own several pieces, I own at least one Shinola watch, as well. (And bought both my kids Shinola's as high school graduation presents).

In other words, I'm a big supporter of their brand and I hope they continue to add to the revitalization of my (former) city. It's a good story, and I'm OK with that.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out the leather on this 0602 YKK First Edition #256. I think it looks awesome, especially paired up with Otter Green. With shipping it's only $170, crazy good deal!

256 1.PNG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads