• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nevadabob

Reaction score
Um, that was supposed to copy the quote with the recent photos of sunglasses in the choke tube bag, but it didn't work. OKCUL8r

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent eplanation as well.
Based on your comments and GZ's ones I think the 48 will fit my needs.
I have the 48 hr duffle. It’ll do 3-4 days no problem. Shoes as ever take space, so that can a limiting factor.
Dopp kit: the Filson small travel kit, about half full just fits the front pocket. I can’t imagine that the full Filson size Dopp would go in.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know a number of us are fans of the Away cases @mgrennier...
Apparently they are the next startup darling having raised more money from VC and selling suitcases as an “experience”. I guess I shouldn’t be snarky about that given the nature of this thread, but I do struggle
to be as interested in a mass produced box on wheels as I am about rugged twill...

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know a number of us are fans of the Away cases @mgrennier...
Apparently they are the next startup darling having raised more money from VC and selling suitcases as an “experience”. I guess I shouldn’t be snarky about that given the nature of this thread, but I do struggle
to be as interested in a mass produced box on wheels as I am about rugged twill...

I understand. You may not know this, but my Away box on wheels is a bit custom. For example:

Mine is made of the aluminum from the original Filson sewing machine. Further, i have custom talon zippers in mine with a buttery leather handle hand stitched in the Seattle factory.

And the wheels? Repurposed from CC Filson’s original shop floor cart.

Kidding. It’s a great suitcase though. I may be the only guy in America with a Filson bag tag hanging from the handle.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand. You may not know this, but my Away box on wheels is a bit custom. For example:

Mine is made of the aluminum from the original Filson sewing machine. Further, i have custom talon zippers in mine with a buttery leather handle hand stitched in the Seattle factory.

And the wheels? Repurposed from CC Filson’s original shop floor cart.

Kidding. It’s a great suitcase though. I may be the only guy in America with a Filson bag tag hanging from the handle.
In the US, where the carry is not typically weight restricted, I’m more keen on the leather and twill version. In the UK and abroad, 8-10 kg is just not that much, so every little bit really counts. I love my rolling carry on though. Would be difficult to trade in for anything but a rimowa;).

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Santorini, Filson looks good on you...

Attachments

• C52E4CF2-5F2E-4C48-9616-50FF539D3737.jpeg
    C52E4CF2-5F2E-4C48-9616-50FF539D3737.jpeg
    426 KB · Views: 131
  • D50772AA-AB5A-4A5E-89CC-E8B345C97CE1.jpeg
    D50772AA-AB5A-4A5E-89CC-E8B345C97CE1.jpeg
    255.8 KB · Views: 146

Dad Shoes

Reaction score
So I had some family in town this weekend and went to the Seattle flagship to show then around. Had to go back later in the week for this FRD beauty. It’s just too cool.

Pretty interesting piece. It’s an OG briefcase in almost perfect condition. Heavily fortified in a cool symmetrical stitch on every corner and wherever leather meets fabric. Topped off with the storm flap from a weatherproof leather briefcase. The talons on this thing look brand new. It’s like a cool workshop bag but made from like-new older materials. It feels bomb proof.
Thank you for sharing those pics. Beautiful!

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have this heavy tin open tote which I have used for years for the gym. It's just like the twill one but more rigid because of the heavy fabric. I was thinking of taking it as my carry-on (I am also checking luggage) on a long trip since it's a great bag to throw food and headphones into on the flight. However, it is 'open' so it's not as secure as other bags I have. Any thoughts on using an open tote on a flight?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For OMG and other hockey players here. Really don’t like Marchand but he’s got a nice coat at least.

View attachment 1190041

Awesome! Looks like a nice happy Buffalo Plaid Family. BTW I’m rooting for St. Louis for their first Cup win. Hoping they pull off a Game 7 upset in front of a Boston crowd.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have this heavy tin open tote which I have used for years for the gym. It's just like the twill one but more rigid because of the heavy fabric. I was thinking of taking it as my carry-on (I am also checking luggage) on a long trip since it's a great bag to throw food and headphones into on the flight. However, it is 'open' so it's not as secure as other bags I have. Any thoughts on using an open tote on a flight?
I have always opted for the zip tote (261) as a personal item on a flight (as long as I’m not carrying a briefcase) mostly due to the capacity and security, but I think an open tote would be ok as long as valuables are kept toward the bottom. It’s hard to beat the utility of the open tote with the capacity to just throw stuff in.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
zip tote best carryon

I just finished a trip with my small duffle. It fit 3 days worth of clothes well, including two pairs of shoes, but it still is kind of heavy to lug around on your shoulder through an airport vs. a roller bag

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have always opted for the zip tote (261) as a personal item on a flight (as long as I’m not carrying a briefcase) mostly due to the capacity and security, but I think an open tote would be ok as long as valuables are kept toward the bottom. It’s hard to beat the utility of the open tote with the capacity to just throw stuff in.

Thank you. I was thinking it might be okay for my son as a personal item with whom everything just ends up being a jumbled mess of phone charger, cords, drinks, snacks anyway.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
zip tote best carryon

I just finished a trip with my small duffle. It fit 3 days worth of clothes well, including two pairs of shoes, but it still is kind of heavy to lug around on your shoulder through an airport vs. a roller bag

It's definitely not as easy to lug around an airport terminal as a roller bag, but I find once you get out of the smooth surfaces and big sliding doors of an airport and start encountering stairs, train turnstiles, uneven surfaces - or even need to sprint to catch a shuttle bus or having to stuff your bag in the back of a full airport van, the small duffle has some advantages. I think these advantages gets exponentially nullified as the duffle bag gets incrementally bigger beyond this size though, in my own experience.

I found limiting the amount of shoes I carry to one or none in the duffle bag helps a lot too with the weight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads