• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
Full page shot of “the bag” in the newest catalog.

nevadabob

Reaction score
Aight, so, I've been interested in watching natural leather age over time and I've been looking for an excuse to buy some. My personal dimensions have changed recently and it was time for a new belt. Searching The Internets led me to a company called Thirteen50 down in California. Thirteen stripes and 50 stars in the US flag, hence the company name. I ended up purchasing a belt, a mousepad, a bracelet and a new front pocket wallet. 94F0A250-1203-4156-B2EE-CC9739BD2FA1.jpeg

nevadabob

Reaction score
91395A60-B0EC-4C93-9E02-75DF91C26B50.jpeg The belt has wonderfully thick leather and four Chicago screws keeping the buckle in place. Here's a shot of my 2012ish Filson double leather belt, the Thirteen50 natural belt and a leather strap from a Filson bag made in December 2015.

nevadabob

Reaction score
A6EE0B69-3F87-4D34-B9DA-21C3E3675466.jpeg The wallet will replace my Filson front pocket wallet. Dims are very similar.

B9DA5BE2-0061-48A2-BD61-F3931260100B.jpeg

nevadabob

Reaction score
I am very pleased with my purchase and was pleasantly surprised that when I opened up the package, I'd been gifted some freebies: three additional bracelets in three additional colors. I was able to give one each to my wife and two daughters. From time to time, I'll post a picture or two as these puppies build character.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Modern era 70256 an 70246. Fully loaded the MTB is good looking but not the best friend to your back ? View attachment 1186376
That's exactly why I sold my MTB - great bag and really good for car travel, but a fully loaded one walking through airports? No thanks... As I described it a couple year ago, it's like a cardboard box with a strap (when loaded)

Coolwater

Reaction score
That's exactly why I sold my MTB - great bag and really good for car travel, but a fully loaded one walking through airports? No thanks... As I described it a couple year ago, it's like a cardboard box with a strap (when loaded)
Totally agree. I did a mistake during my previous trip. I took a 238 large outfitter that fortunately passed the carry on limit but boy that was a pain to carry this bag.
On my way back i prefered to check in it and swore to take it on car trips only.

Last edited:

pnwprice

Reaction score
These bags are travel champs. Friday through Monday trip packed no problem. 258 and old school no-flap small duffle.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These bags are travel champs. Friday through Monday trip packed no problem. 258 and old school no-flap small duffle.

View attachment 1186574

I don’t know if it’s the angle but the 258 looks like it dwarfs the Small First Edition Duffel. Did your 258 come with a padded shoulder strap? If so that’s interesting.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totally agree. I did a mistake during my previous trip. I took a 238 large outfitter that fortunately passed the carry on limit but boy that was a pain to carry this bag.
On my way back i prefered to check in it and swore to take it on car trips only.

If this were a year ago I would totally concur with that, however today I gotta disgagree with you guys on this. I’ve religiously each week used a 246 MTB for over a year now. When fully packed it feels lighter and more comfortable on my shoulder then my fully packed 257 Briefcase...no exaggeration. I also don’t crossbody carry it, but treat it more like a ice hockey bag; using one shoulder but carrying it flat against my back. This method feels right at home for me.

Also @mgrennier im finding that while it does carry like a box, it also packs like one too, and nothing packs better then a box ;) The only fly in the ointment I would say is choosing a comfortable bag to go along with it. A 257 isn’t it I must admit. Maybe a Journeyman would be better

This was me for 13 years, except i was a goalie, so the bag was larger, my pads were sling over the opposite shoulder and I had a stick bag in one hand. I’d say this no smaller than a XL Talon Duffel and with wet hockey equipment, even heavier. So I’m plenty happy with my MTB and look forward to using it each week

Attachments

• D837F3A0-BFD9-4B91-84E3-5384B70DEDF2.jpeg
    D837F3A0-BFD9-4B91-84E3-5384B70DEDF2.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

pnwprice

Reaction score
I don’t know if it’s the angle but the 258 looks like it dwarfs the Small First Edition Duffel. Did your 258 come with a padded shoulder strap? If so that’s interesting.

Those first talon duffles were tiny compared to today’s small duffle.

I also own the leather briefcase, and I move the padded strap to whatever heavy bag I’m carrying.

B6460293-66F4-4196-8A59-E573D7603C1F.jpeg

pnwprice

Reaction score
BTW that duffle is a thrift find. It’s such a weird little bag. Perfect gym bag/overnight size.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the large travel bag. EZ to pack; great capacity; less than comfortable to haul on my shoulders. I am getting less conservative about checking larger carry-on bags than in the past especially on the trip home.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads