• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is how the 40 looks today. need to take a side by side pic of the two of them.
canvas soft top and steel doors both rotted away, so i ended up getting a bestop setup

View attachment 1133843
That’s great! I like the soft top and fabric doors. There something about driving around without doors that’s just fantastic fun.
It’s interesting how the various designs (FJ, Jeep, Land Rover) share similarities like the big wheel arches and very flat windscreens. The boxy shape is practical I guess. It used to be the case that Land Rovers had flat windows so they could be replaced by any glass available!

Not sure if it’s still there (@woodsjw ?) but the Austin Filson store has this in the window for a while:

774DCF6E-796B-4167-9005-0793EB786846.jpeg
1A9B25FF-14DF-4599-9FF7-58877E56D201.jpeg

Probably just a shell but fun to look at.

johnnymiz

Reaction score
theyre all similar because its all about relatively big tires, ground clearance, and stuffability of said big tires into the fenders. that and low revving, high grunt, toughness. the 40 hits its peak torque at 1800 rpm... its a tractor motor. at 3000 rpm it is starting to hate you. at 4000 it says no mas. compare that to a modern engine.. they just start getting going at 3k rpm and most hit peak around 6k.
the flat winscreen is so they can fold... you can remove the wheels, crate em up on a pallet, and put them on a cargo plane/boat and transport them to any hell hole you like.
those soft doors are great.. take about a second to remove and toss in the tailgate. i actually have factory canvas straps that go across the door to help keep you in. hahahah
thats a great old Willys (pronounced willis, not willies, for those that dont know ;-) )
and it fits perfectly with filson stuff...no frills, classic, rugged as hell

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
theyre all similar because its all about relatively big tires, ground clearance, and stuffability of said big tires into the fenders. that and low revving, high grunt, toughness. the 40 hits its peak torque at 1800 rpm... its a tractor motor. at 3000 rpm it is starting to hate you. at 4000 it says no mas. compare that to a modern engine.. they just start getting going at 3k rpm and most hit peak around 6k.
the flat winscreen is so they can fold... you can remove the wheels, crate em up on a pallet, and put them on a cargo plane/boat and transport them to any hell hole you like.
those soft doors are great.. take about a second to remove and toss in the tailgate. i actually have factory canvas straps that go across the door to help keep you in. hahahah
thats a great old Willys (pronounced willis, not willies, for those that dont know ;-) )
and it fits perfectly with filson stuff...no frills, classic, rugged as hell

Yes to all that. My Series is the same too - low revving big torque.
Land Rover made a version called a “lightweight” that was officially designated the “air portable” - exactly as you describe, to take up minimal room and be parachute dropped.
D24D6D42-25A1-4424-8D83-C6A62CC13C67.jpeg

They were narrower than standard apparently to fit on a standard NATO cargo pallet!

johnnymiz

Reaction score
there is no way that goes on the road. the m151 mutt was a real jeep and it couldnt get dot certified. sad

woodsjw

Reaction score
That’s great! I like the soft top and fabric doors. There something about driving around without doors that’s just fantastic fun.
It’s interesting how the various designs (FJ, Jeep, Land Rover) share similarities like the big wheel arches and very flat windscreens. The boxy shape is practical I guess. It used to be the case that Land Rovers had flat windows so they could be replaced by any glass available!

Not sure if it’s still there (@woodsjw ?) but the Austin Filson store has this in the window for a while:

View attachment 1133857 View attachment 1133858

Probably just a shell but fun to look at.

I haven’t been by in several months, but it was still there in the Fall/Winter.

billsmith

Reaction score
Long time lurker with a packing cube question. I recently purchased a new/unused large pullman case and want to outfit one of the sides with an array of packing cubes. Can anyone recommend a set of two or three that would fill the space including the depth so my items don't slosh around? Thanks.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker with a packing cube question. I recently purchased a new/unused large pullman case and want to outfit one of the sides with an array of packing cubes. Can anyone recommend a set of two or three that would fill the space including the depth so my items don't slosh around? Thanks.

I would recommend the set of three that I bought. It gives you a nice selection and fills up my Medium Travel Bag nicely which also allows room for a Dopp kit and a jacket.

I bought them from Backcountry.com and received them in lightning like speed

https://www.backcountry.com/eagle-c...yOjE6NzpFYWdsZSBjcmVlayBwYWNrIGl0IHNwZWN0ZXI=

Toombs

Reaction score
Since we brought up old trucks... My FJ40 is like a forged hammer. Dead reliable and goes anywhere slowly and deliberately. My FJ62 is almost as capable, but so much more refined. On the highway in the green one, it is earplugs and 55mph tops if you pay close attention. The FJ62 can keep up with modern traffic at a dignified and comfortable pace.

@johnnymiz is cool for driving one everyday.

D018DC52-BD5D-4762-8D3C-FD16AF1EF6F9.jpeg
80C0D0AA-9959-4914-8B08-857891E3FD67.jpeg

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second Otter's recommendation on the Eagle Creek packing cubes. I have about 6 or 7 of them - including the envelope-like folders, the compression cubes and just the regular ones. All different sizes. They're pretty indestructable which is amazing since they weigh next to nothing.

I travel nearly every week and have used packing cubes on EVERY trip for over 3 years.

I also have a set of Away packing cubes that I had when I had a gift card for Away - I use them as well as they are designed to fit perfectly in my aluminum carry-on. I go back and forth between the Away cubes and the Eagle Creek. Eagle Creek's are lighter.

johnnymiz

Reaction score
62s are great rides.... I wouldnt mind owning one of those. Your 40 is an old one. 3 speed, f motor, 4.10 gears, drums all around? Mine is kinda posh compared to that.... power steering, power disc brakes, 4speed, and i put 3.70s in it. Love yours tho...no cancer. You must live someplace with no road salt

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
62s are great rides.... I wouldnt mind owning one of those. Your 40 is an old one. 3 speed, f motor, 4.10 gears, drums all around? Mine is kinda posh compared to that.... power steering, power disc brakes, 4speed, and i put 3.70s in it. Love yours tho...no cancer. You must live someplace with no road salt
Power steering and discs? What heresy is this? Leaf springs, drums and coil/points are all a man could ever need...

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second Otter's recommendation on the Eagle Creek packing cubes. I have about 6 or 7 of them - including the envelope-like folders, the compression cubes and just the regular ones. All different sizes. They're pretty indestructable which is amazing since they weigh next to nothing.

I travel nearly every week and have used packing cubes on EVERY trip for over 3 years.

I also have a set of Away packing cubes that I had when I had a gift card for Away - I use them as well as they are designed to fit perfectly in my aluminum carry-on. I go back and forth between the Away cubes and the Eagle Creek. Eagle Creek's are lighter.

@billsmith - Welcome! I too have a large Pullman and like it a lot. Packing cubes are helpful, although the interior straps do a pretty good job on their own.
I use IKEA Upptacka cubes in mine as the larger ones are a good match for the Pullman’s dimensions. They are also very inexpensive meaning it’s a cheap experiment.

johnnymiz

Reaction score
Power steering and discs? What heresy is this? Leaf springs, drums and coil/points are all a man could ever need...

Hahaha...i know, i know. But it will actually keep up (kinda) with traffic on the interstates and do it pretty safely. My kids drive it, so it has to be safe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 38.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 29 18.5%

Forum statistics

Threads