• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stratkat

Reaction score
Feeling guilty that I picked up a two-pack of leather work gloves from Costco. No-name brand, not high quality - but will just toss them out when they wear out. Doesn't fit my usual BIFL approach to these kinds of things, but work gloves are work gloves to me.

I guess I'm the odd-man out in this discussion.
no you arent, i go thru a pair of Home Depot gloves once a year, always the fingers, just doing yard work. this one Filson item i just cant justify!

CCF1897

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you guys and buy the Costco or Tractor Supply bulk pack that wear out in the fingers.

bart

Reaction score
Depends on what kind of work I’m doing, but I’m most cases I use Mechanix type gloves. Same for cold.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Folks - anyone got a feather cloth shirt? Spring is coming and Im thinking about something other than flannel!
Opinions welcome, and any info on sizing. I’m usually a Filson medium.

Briefly on the gloves comments - I too use cheaper gloves for working and then replace.
I have a very nice pair of Dents driving gloves which are thin and unlined but work well for keeping handy in pocket.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Folks - anyone got a feather cloth shirt? Spring is coming and Im thinking about something other than flannel!
Opinions welcome, and any info on sizing. I’m usually a Filson medium.

Briefly on the gloves comments - I too use cheaper gloves for working and then replace.
I have a very nice pair of Dents driving gloves which are thin and unlined but work well for keeping handy in pocket.
I have a feather cloth shirt - it's a steel blue/grey color. Very nice. I go back and forth between getting it laundered at a dry cleaner vs. washing it myself because I have a hard time not having it look too wrinkled... It's a great shirt. True to the usual size of Filson (meaning - I wear a large in EVERY other brand in the world, except Medium in Filson shirts)

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a feather cloth shirt - it's a steel blue/grey color. Very nice. I go back and forth between getting it laundered at a dry cleaner vs. washing it myself because I have a hard time not having it look too wrinkled... It's a great shirt. True to the usual size of Filson (meaning - I wear a large in EVERY other brand in the world, except Medium in Filson shirts)
Thank you - most helpful. I’ve ordered one in “light olive”. I will report back!

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread reinvigorated my attraction to Filson. New travel gear. Small Pullman and Journeyman.

IMG_1977.jpg

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pic of my Large Carryon 242 on a speed boat on the Arabian Sea. Bag worked well on this trip. I never even used the carrying strap once - it's that easy to carry by hand. Another bonus, as there was often no shelves to unpack my clothes - I just opened the clamshell style bag completely flat on the floor and grabbed clothes and gear from the open bag as needed. Simply zipped the bag up when it was time to move to the next destination. More generally, there were many situations where I saw other people's wheelie bags did not work well (the 4 wheel variety do work effortlessly in airports and hotels no doubt).

Only negative was that US Customs opened my bag (checked on the return trip) by splitting the zipper open (no permanent damage) with presumably a tool or a pen rather than using the 'master key' (which I assume they would have) for my approved TSA lock. Then taped up the gaping 'hole' left by the separated zipper with US Customs blue tape. All my gear was rifled through and messed up. And the nicely gift packaged boxes I bought as gifts (maybe they mistakenly thought they were ivory?) were torn up. I guess US Customs thought they were being nice by not cutting my TSA lock or breaking my Talon zipper clasps. I also received my checked bag the day after I arrived in the US (airline sent by courier).

Lesson learned. I will not put anything except clothing in a checked bag if even cheap souvenirs can cause this much concern. But otherwise, I find my Filson is no worse the wear from checking and will continue to do so on return journeys where I have layovers so I can walk around a terminal more comfortably. In fact, I like the little bit of 'stone washing' that checking does to a bag.
Arabian Sea.jpg

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pic of my Large Carryon 242 on a speed boat on the Arabian Sea. Bag worked well on this trip. I never even used the carrying strap once - it's that easy to carry by hand. Another bonus, as there was often no shelves to unpack my clothes - I just opened the clamshell style bag completely flat on the floor and grabbed clothes and gear from the open bag as needed. Simply zipped the bag up when it was time to move to the next destination. More generally, there were many situations where I saw other people's wheelie bags did not work well (the 4 wheel variety do work effortlessly in airports and hotels no doubt).

Only negative was that US Customs opened my bag (checked on the return trip) by splitting the zipper open (no permanent damage) with presumably a tool or a pen rather than using the 'master key' (which I assume they would have) for my approved TSA lock. Then taped up the gaping 'hole' left by the separated zipper with US Customs blue tape. All my gear was rifled through and messed up. And the nicely gift packaged boxes I bought as gifts (maybe they mistakenly thought they were ivory?) were torn up. I guess US Customs thought they were being nice by not cutting my TSA lock or breaking my Talon zipper clasps. I also received my checked bag the day after I arrived in the US (airline sent by courier).

Lesson learned. I will not put anything except clothing in a checked bag if even cheap souvenirs can cause this much concern. But otherwise, I find my Filson is no worse the wear from checking and will continue to do so on return journeys where I have layovers so I can walk around a terminal more comfortably. In fact, I like the little bit of 'stone washing' that checking does to a bag. View attachment 1131736

Great pictures and glad the bag survived the ravages of customs. Interesting to hear about the lack of need for the shoulder strap. Do you think that’s because the bag carries “close” as the handle is directly attached to the flap?
How long was the trip - did the 242 have all your stuff? If I recall it’s basically the same size as an original Pullman?

Stratkat

Reaction score
26A6561B-6C8D-4891-9E0B-B0FEC4F69236.jpeg
27C174D7-6C99-4A0F-803D-877E7D3CE0DA.jpeg
067A837F-3330-4E09-B04C-C1AA45BCB264.jpeg
80651D7E-9480-4A74-AA0A-DBF302389415.jpeg
26938E82-DCF2-43E1-92FC-685EF4CA34F1.jpeg
DFBC84A7-30ED-4E21-923C-11307E34CE0E.jpeg
A Tex Mex Tele, I’m finishing up. Dressed the fingerboard, re fret, made a new bone but to replace the plastic one, re routed the neck pocket, made up a new pick guard, and patched some holes. Will do a setup tomorrow.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the details of your woodworking StratKat. Very nice. As a woodworker myself, I can appreciate your attention to detail. I can tell you care about hour work.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great pictures and glad the bag survived the ravages of customs. Interesting to hear about the lack of need for the shoulder strap. Do you think that’s because the bag carries “close” as the handle is directly attached to the flap?
How long was the trip - did the 242 have all your stuff? If I recall it’s basically the same size as an original Pullman?

The trip was only a week. The bag was holding mostly summer weight pants, polos, tee shirts, a pair of athletic shoes, shorts, socks and a full sized toiletry bag and one folded up down jacket for the return to the US. It’s the same size as the small Pullman based on the posted measurements.

I had one of those fabric straps which work well and keep out of the way when not in use. But I didn’t feel a need to use it - even when I was walking around the terminal for longer periods. I think it’s the suitcase design which makes this possible. The bag’s center of gravity is closer to the body than most duffles and the handle is rigid (not attached to straps) and affixed to the center of the bag which means the bag has less lateral motion when walking.

It’s not a perfect design, mind you, as it wouldn’t be ideal for larger bulky objects. And retrieving items from the bag on the fly is typically more work than with a duffle. But if I am just carrying clothes for my destination in my bag - which I usually am - it works very well.

Stratkat

Reaction score
Love the details of your woodworking StratKat. Very nice. As a woodworker myself, I can appreciate your attention to detail. I can tell you care about hour work.
Thank you, this was a fun project. What kind of stuff do you make?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven’t posted in about a week so I thought I would share my first ever Filson collaboration piece. The Filson Stanley Master Series Hip Flask. It’s something I’ve been talking about for awhile now and when Filson emailed me that it was back in stock, I utilized my $50 gift certificate and acquired it at no personal cost.

It’s certainly no Jacob Bromwell, but I would say that it’s nearly as unique when compared to other flasks on the market. It’s 8 ounces in capacity (5 1/2 shots of whiskey), wide mouth (for easy filling), heavy grade stainless steel, features an unique inner gasketed threaded seal, which feels like you’re sipping from a smooth stainless shot glass, sturdy lid keeper and a curved powder coated body with machined engraved Filson logo. Can’t wait to create a nice patina and share some fine hooch.

P.S. love the box it came in, Filson really delivered on this one.

1BFD36EE-7450-4631-BD05-615CCABDFD64.jpeg

B4B8B716-8516-4186-BF85-01195F257032.jpeg

5FF13E5C-6384-49E1-AE59-5406C8A1465F.jpeg

ECA257B1-686E-497B-B82A-2BF0FC0D8CBF.jpeg

Last edited:

johnnymiz

Reaction score
Nice work Stratkat!

Wow, i love the design of that flask cap
Looks like like heavy duty quality for your $50

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads