• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stratkat

Reaction score
I love both Filson and Levi’s but man that’s steep for a denim jacket
It’s not very pretty either! I don’t understand the collaboration thing. If I want levi’s I’ll buy Levi’s, if I want Filson I’ll buy that. Don’t even get me started on a Harley Davidson F150!!!

lineate

Reaction score
What made you pack up and move to London, if you don't mind me asking? How is "American Pride" viewed in London?

I came for work, for six months, and ended up loving it and having quite an adventure. Now I’m married to a born Londoner who will never live anywhere else, so I guess I’m here to stay?

“American Pride” is a bit of a weird one. I work in advertising, so you have to take everything I say with a grain of salt because I think about brand and branding many thousands of times more than a “normal” person.

I have a good friend who is a bit older than me, Scottish, and so down with Americana it’s unreal. He can nerd out on American provenance and heritage stories for anything from military surplus to Engineered Gaments reference points to New Balance trainers. All balanced with a healthy love of football (soccer) that is just beyond me. We can talk about these things passionately.

But that’s in my bubble, one extreme.

My immediate colleagues don’t think of me as that American at all, weirdly. They think I’m more into Japanese minimalism and stuff

In the middle, most people I know have been to, or desire to, visit the US.

Then there’s the other side.

Once, when I first moved to London, I went out to the countryside for a weekend with a friend. We’d been drinking, having a great time, and went to get some food late night at a chip shop. We were talking, I was probably quite loud. I only have an outdoor voice. A woman, a total stranger, in front of in the line to order turned around and punched me square in the face. Like, full on, proper punch that made me whip around. Killer hook.

I said “what the **** was that for?”

“I always wanted to punch an American”

Nice.

Having had a few, I was stupid enough to have said, “do you feel better now?”

She hauled off and punched me on the other side of my face, and said, “yeah.”

That was early 2009 I think, and literally the one time I’ve had an overtly adverse reaction in the U.K.

Today the American “brand” is having different challenges. But I’ve never had an exchange quite like that one.

Last edited:

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I came for work, for six months, and ended up loving it and having quite an adventure. Now I’m married to a born Londoner who will never love anywhere else, and we have a London baby, so I guess I’m here to stay?

“American Pride” is a bit of a weird one. I work in advertising, so you have to take everything I say with a grain of salt because I think about brand and branding many thousands of times more than a “normal” person.

I have a good friend who is a bit older than me, Scottish, and so down with Americana it’s unreal. He can nerd out on American provenance and heritage stories for anything from military surplus to Engineered Gaments reference points to New Balance trainers. All balanced with a healthy love of football (soccer) that is just beyond me. We can talk about these things passionately.

My immediate colleagues don’t think of me as that American at all, weirdly. They think I’m more into Japanese minimalism and stuff

Once, when I first moved to London, I went out to the countryside for a weekend with a friend. We’d been drinking, having a great time, and went to get some food late night at a chip shop. We were talking, I was probably quite loud. I only have an outdoor voice. A woman, a total stranger, in front of in the line to order turned around and punched me square in the face. Like, full on, proper punch that made me whip around. Killer hook.

Nice.

That was early 2009 I think, and literally the one time I’ve had an overtly adverse reaction in the U.K.

Today the American “brand” is having different challenges. But I’ve never had an exchange quite like that one.
That's.
Crazy.

I travel a lot, and I do notice that Americans tend to be very loud, but sheesh.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s now funny, and one of my favourite travel stories.
You have a better sense of humor than I do. I did have a guy poke at me a couple times once when I was overseas, which I ignored, which made him even more persnickety. After his second (missed) swing, he was wondering how he wound up face down on the floor (and complaining quite loudly about it). It's amazing and occasionally useful how little people understand their own balance. I've had a couple more sinister things happen traveling over the years that keep me pretty alert when I'm out and around...

I'm generally very easy-going...until I'm not. Honestly not sure how I would have reacted in your place, though I know I wouldn't hit a woman unless I genuinely needed to defend myself.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
7287923E-0D60-46E5-BA1F-A9FDE8ED0B9B.jpeg
Thought this looked interesting

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s not very pretty either! I don’t understand the collaboration thing. If I want levi’s I’ll buy Levi’s, if I want Filson I’ll buy that. Don’t even get me started on a Harley Davidson F150!!!

If that's what you like then that's what you like. However there are a lot of us here who appreciate and own Filson Collaborations and see the merit in them. I am a future Filson collab owner (Filson x Stanley Flask) and am really excited about it. Sure I could've paid $15 less and just bought one from Stanley, but owning such a rare piece (once it's discontinued) is a hard thing to pass on. @Tom Lebrando actually owns a Filson x Levis Cruiser and I'm sure there was something special that prompted him to pay for it. The Filson x Levis Trucker jacket is one of the most popular Filson garment items in modern day time, and even when used, they command high dollars, I've seen them reach $1000. The Pendleton blanket is technically a collaboration and I know @TinMan3 appreciates his.

Plus collaborations allow for some pretty exclusive stuff and make up for what Filson lacks in their abilities. Like the Buck Knife or Jacob Bromwell Flask, they reach out to those that are experts in particular fields. I think it's a positive. Imagine the success Filson would've had if they did a collaboration with their failed Passage Line, and they picked Tumi. That might've been a much greater success, and not a sore spot for the company, like it is today

Last edited:

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice Patina on your Otter Green 48HR, how are you liking it as it gets more broken in? Also that's a nice looking crocodile leather shoulder strap you got there (at least from this angle) :fonz:
The 48 hour is, in my opinion, the best bag that Filson has made outside of their duffles in recent years. I really like it a TON. Just love the way it carries, love the pockets and love the way it's been aging. I think I've now had it for about 14 months or so (or maybe it's 26 months, not 100% sure).

I'll be carrying it into the client site tomorrow so I'll let you know if any sideways glances happen. Of course, I'll be leading a 3 hour presentation/conversation so I may not notice them noticing my bag. Such is the life.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I came for work, for six months, and ended up loving it and having quite an adventure. Now I’m married to a born Londoner who will never live anywhere else, so I guess I’m here to stay?

Nice.

That's an amazing story and really, really funny. Glad you now see the sense of humor in that.

I've traveled the world myself and the only standout thing I noticed was in Asia. They all seemed to think that we' Americans are really, really rich. (at least in Shenzen).

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice.

Funny in hindsight perhaps but not at the time I’m sure!
I’m in the UK near London. Lived and worked in the USA and Australia. Travelled all over Asia. Never experienced any hostility. A few stares in India owing to having a big beard which translates to them as a holy man.

Obviously your experience was extreme and atypical. But I think that the US has been blamed for the financial crash in 2008, and of course more recently for your choice of president. Increasingly it seems the US is a place of extremes - amazing innovation and creativity, but also of social and political divide. Sadly non- Americans seem willing to lay blame quickly forgetting how reliant they are on all its innovations - whether beautiful Filson stuff or the more commonplace of Hollywood and Hamburgers.
Personally I wouldn’t be who am I’m either personally or professionally without my experiences in the US.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny in hindsight perhaps but not at the time I’m sure!
I’m in the UK near London. Lived and worked in the USA and Australia. Travelled all over Asia. Never experienced any hostility. A few stares in India owing to having a big beard which translates to them as a holy man.

Obviously your experience was extreme and atypical. But I think that the US has been blamed for the financial crash in 2008, and of course more recently for your choice of president. Increasingly it seems the US is a place of extremes - amazing innovation and creativity, but also of social and political divide. Sadly non- Americans seem willing to lay blame quickly forgetting how reliant they are on all its innovations - whether beautiful Filson stuff or the more commonplace of Hollywood and Hamburgers.
Personally I wouldn’t be who am I’m either personally or professionally without my experiences in the US.

That's nice of you to say. Wish I was a bit more of a traveler having only been as far as Seattle, Bahamas and Montreal, Canada. I think if those outside the US spent less time on mainstream media sources (shilling false propaganda) and more time on message boards like this one, then maybe your viewpoint would be a shared one. Unfortunately, like hamburgers, people outside the US eat that stuff up.

Speaking of Hamburgers, if anyone is in Connecticut near Yale University, stop by this place. They are credited with the first ever Hamburger. Just don't ask for ketchup, sort of a funny rule there.

https://www.eater.com/2015/4/15/8414107/louis-lunch-new-haven-connecticut-burger-invented-history#0

johnnymiz

Reaction score
Ive been to Louis'. The burgers are pretty awesome in a basic fried beef way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads