• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Matchy matchy with my 256 and 2 wheeled carry-on:
JZDmyYJ.jpg

bart

Reaction score
BE4B4618-0D3D-4774-BA49-F3D3417A04BC.jpeg
This is my daily carry for somewhere between 17-20 years. It’s been to 10 countries or so, had some very close calls at being confiscated (some funny stories there), cut everything you might imagine a knife would cut...

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Staying on the topic of MiUSA I recently made a non-Filson purchase of my own that is both MiUSA and of very high quality and design. I bought it in person at Bass Pro Shop while in Atlantic City, NJ. For its size it also wasn’t cheap either, but with the right care, should last a lifetime, but in case it doesn’t, it has a lifetime warranty.

I give you my first ever quality knife; The Buck 055 Lockback. It’s half the size of the world famous Buck 110 (hence why it’s called the 055), has brass bolsters/rivets and American Walnut handle. It’s the perfect size for my pocket too. Just wanted to share this with you guys.

View attachment 1123092

View attachment 1123093

View attachment 1123094

Oh man, that brought back memories. I bought my first and only Buck ranger in Kapuskasing, Ontario, Canada in 1987 for - I think - $68Cdn. I was working a reforestation project and we would go into town on the weekend and spend our hard earned bucks. This was one of the only things I have from that time. I still keep it in in my glove compartment. Only use it once a year usually - to cut the twine holding my Christmas tree to my roof rack.

Kwaker

Reaction score
Oh man, that brought back memories. I bought my first and only Buck ranger in Kapuskasing, Ontario, Canada in 1987 for - I think - $68Cdn. I was working a reforestation project and we would go into town on the weekend and spend our hard earned bucks. This was one of the only things I have from that time. I still keep it in in my glove compartment. Only use it once a year usually - to cut the twine holding my Christmas tree to my roof rack.
Small world, I spent a portion of two summers (90, 91) planting seedlings in northern ON (Hearst, Chapleau). If I develop a cancer or cognitive dysfunction down the road, I would attribute it to the inadvertent ingestion of DEET and any chemicals applied to the thousands of seedlings I planted.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The interior flannel isn’t thick, so it makes the interior of the jacket soft and comfortable. I think it’s perfect for spring/fall and can be worn in winter if layered properly.
Awesome! I’ll have to be on the lookout for a medium at a reasonable cost. No way am I paying the current $400+ that they tend to go for. Here’s another great review from that same guy I posted earlier with the #10088

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1124091 This is my daily carry for somewhere between 17-20 years. It’s been to 10 countries or so, had some very close calls at being confiscated (some funny stories there), cut everything you might imagine a knife would cut...
Beautiful! What’s your secret with international airplane travel? Something tells me you don’t carry on, unless you’re law enforcement. My sister who’s a detective with an FBI task force just flew with her glock on her hip and her partner was chewing tobacco during the flight :lol: . Not saying I support that last part, since I had nail clippers confiscated once.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen and (now) ladies.

Question for you in terms of what you'd travel with. I want to see what bag(s) the folks on this thread would carry for the following scenario:
- one night trip to visit a client in Atlanta (3 hour presentation Wednesday morning)
- Travel day: jeans/sport coat - maybe light overcoat for rain
- Client visit: slacks/ same sport coat
- Same pair of shoes both days
- 1 pr. underwear, 1 under-shirt, 1 pair socks

In other words, I'll be packing: 1 dress shirt, 1 pair slacks, 1 pair socks, 1 pair underwear, 1 undershirt, toiletry bag.

At my disposal is the full gamut of bags and gear:
Journeyman backpack
Heritage Sportsman
Medium Duffle
Roller suitcase (Away)

What would you pick and why?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Filson customer service ... on hold for 20+ mins and counting
Hang up now. Best way I’ve found to contact Customer Service is to use Filson’s direct chat feature on their website, plus you can save the transcripts. This is not to be confused with the email feature, which I have yet to receive an on time reply

GzStudio

Reaction score

Question for you in terms of what you'd travel with. I want to see what bag(s) the folks on this thread would carry for the following scenario:
- one night trip to visit a client in Atlanta (3 hour presentation Wednesday morning)

In other words, I'll be packing: 1 dress shirt, 1 pair slacks, 1 pair socks, 1 pair underwear, 1 undershirt, toiletry bag.

Journeyman backpack
Heritage Sportsman
Medium Duffle
Roller suitcase (Away)

What are said shoes?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Journeyman backpack
Heritage Sportsman
Medium Duffle
Roller suitcase (Away)

Time to dust off that Heritage Sportsman. Maybe you can also carry the Journeyman.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
Hang up now. Best way I’ve found to contact Customer Service is to use Filson’s direct chat feature on their website, plus you can save the transcripts. This is not to be confused with the email feature, which I have yet to receive an on time reply

Don’t see it the chat option ... unless it makes a difference that I’m on an ipad

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t see it the chat option ... unless it makes a difference that I’m on an ipad

Not sure about the iPad, shouldn’t matter, but make sure it’s the desktop website version. It’s in the top right hand corner where “contact us” appears during off hours. Sometimes it helps to refresh the page.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
Not sure about the iPad, shouldn’t matter, but make sure it’s the desktop website version. It’s in the top right hand corner where “contact us” appears during off hours. Sometimes it helps to refresh the page.

Found it but no go.
Said “no agents available at this time”

But I’m number 2 in queue though!
Only 50 mins gone by

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found it but no go.
Said “no agents available at this time”

But I’m number 2 in queue though!
Only 50 mins gone by

Hmm interesting. I would keep trying the chat feature. It’s always worked for me on the first or second attempt. Plus it gives you time to articulate your responses or questions instead of having to try and stumble them out after the frustrating wait on the phone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads