• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stratkat

Reaction score
96935F31-43E8-44C0-A598-9E268CF01FDE.jpeg
C3D09338-C4B7-4AD2-B924-8F38C9C3C477.jpeg
I decided to recently go with the Buck 505 as my super small EDC.

Pic posted next to my airpods for size.

Will be buying a 55 or something similar soon as well. My daily cutting responsibilities are mostly tied directly to the number of Amazon boxes that find our way here. So I’m not exactly chopping too much wood

View attachment 1123303
Speaking of small, check this one out. I bought it when I was seventeen, and carried it for years! You can’t see it well but the rosewood is worn down around the rivets & bolsters from being in my pocket.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dad always carried a buck knife when I younger. In my early twenties, I bought a nice case knife from Bass Pro Shop with every intention of carrying it daily, but found that I didn't like for it to be loose in my front pants pocket. I looked into getting a clip installed on it, but decided the knife was too thick and the case too round to sit on it comfortably. I still own it and use it occasionally to open letters or packages around the house, but I ended up purchasing a more modern knife for daily carry. I own quite a few Benchmade knives now and carry the Triage model most days.
My thoughts exactly. I’m not exactly a knife guy, but love my benchmade for the clip onto the jeans and practicality of the size. @OtterMeanGreen thats a great knife and I look forward to hearing about it in daily life. I can truly say I use my knife every single day for something.

nevadabob

Reaction score
stratkak, I will say that your opinion is very valuable to me and may be contratry to some on those who frequently visit this thread, but I appreciate your point of view...even if I don't love that Filson (my own opinion here) is pushing that "tin cloth" and "rugged twill" bags cost to same to manufacture.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s great. The Northway is oil finished shelter cloth, but it’s lined with flannel, so it’s a med weight jacket, if it looks like the weather is going to turn, I’ll toss my vest in the truck. I try to walk 2 miles daily, and when it’s in the 30s I’ll wind up unzipping it to cool off. It was fine tonight with the sweatshirt and scarf, 23 when we got back to the room.
I am in DC for the Intermot show, then the A&S museum.

I was actually referring to your newly acquired 10088. Is yours a medium and if so, where did you find it?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Northway really is a fantastic jacket. I purchased mine new from a Filson retail store the first season it was available. I was surprised to see them put it on sale this year during the winter sale. I'm guessing that means they are discontinuing it. If you can find one still available through a third party vendor or on eBay, I highly recommend it.

Does it make for a good spring/fall jacket? Or does the 3.5oz flannel make for a sweaty experience?

Stratkat

Reaction score
I was actually referring to your newly acquired 10088. Is yours a medium and if so, where did you find it?
I got it Friday so I’ve only worn it around the house, I’ll give you a report when I have weather data. I did a search, when I saw Filson that stopped listening them, and found (medium, I think there are 4 left...) at Vermont Gear.
Does it make for a good spring/fall jacket? Or does the 3.5oz flannel make for a sweaty experience?
I really like it, I’d say it is perfect for those seasons, the sleeves are lined (with nylon?) so you aren’t in contact with the oil. If I’m building up heat on a long walk I’ll just unzip it. As I said previously, I keep it near the door and grab it for walks, errands etc. if it’s snowing and miserably cold out, I’ll throw on a vest, but most likely grab the Mac.

Last edited:

Stratkat

Reaction score
stratkak, I will say that your opinion is very valuable to me and may be contratry to some on those who frequently visit this thread, but I appreciate your point of view...even if I don't love that Filson (my own opinion here) is pushing that "tin cloth" and "rugged twill" bags cost to same to manufacture.
Thank you.

bart

Reaction score
Haha well so far I’ve just been admiring it since I bought it last night. However at first I’m gonna use it to open packages, letters (never owned a letter opener before), makeshift cigar cutter and cigar nubber, etc. I intend on always having it on me, which is why I opted for the 055 and not a 110 or 112 Ranger. Since I’m a minimalist I don’t plan on having more than 2 (probably get the 112 later); one pocket knife and another for big jobs. Plan on utilizing Bucks custom program for the 112 (not offered for the 055)

View attachment 1123267
Someone queue the crocodile Dundee quote and I’ll post the knife I carry everyday.

My dad was always a buck guy (though he has been carrying case pocket knives lately) and got me my first good folder which was a Buck 2 blade. Cut myself badly once, lost it and bought the same knife again later. Never carry it though.

He has a 119 he has had for about 45 years. It’s been through some things!

Otter, your two blade idea isn’t bad, but if I were doing that the second one would be a 5” or so fixed blade.

Knives were a much bigger obsession for me than Filson at one time and I have Several custom made ones, a few of my own design.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone queue the crocodile Dundee quote and I’ll post the knife I carry everyday.

My dad was always a buck guy (though he has been carrying case pocket knives lately) and got me my first good folder which was a Buck 2 blade. Cut myself badly once, lost it and bought the same knife again later. Never carry it though.

He has a 119 he has had for about 45 years. It’s been through some things!

Otter, your two blade idea isn’t bad, but if I were doing that the second one would be a 5” or so fixed blade.

Knives were a much bigger obsession for me than Filson at one time and I have Several custom made ones, a few of my own design.

Thanks! Fixed blade you say, hadn’t considered one of those. Filson has a pretty cool collaboration with Buck and this one caught my attention

https://www.filson.com/104-compadre-camp-knife.html#sku=20138054-fco-000002341

09214290-8F43-44FB-9596-DAAF13545A68.gif

FE44A9A7-49A2-4BFD-A5E7-FA791DB3BDDE.jpeg

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here’s a Japanese Kiridashi that I made as an experiment. Came from an old circular saw blade. I really like the kiridashi shapes, and this one is my “amazon opener”. It’s not really thick enough to get the proper single sided chisel grind of a true kiridashi, but it was fun to make.

63E76D9A-9105-4C2A-8423-BE5702C34900.jpeg

Carrying this in the UK in public would be regarded as a Very Bad Thing.
Day to day I find a Leatherman Rebar jolly handy.

Stratkat

Reaction score
Here’s a Japanese Kiridashi that I made as an experiment. Came from an old circular saw blade. I really like the kiridashi shapes, and this one is my “amazon opener”. It’s not really thick enough to get the proper single sided chisel grind of a true kiridashi, but it was fun to make.

View attachment 1123453

Very nice!

woodsjw

Reaction score

The interior flannel isn’t thick, so it makes the interior of the jacket soft and comfortable. I think it’s perfect for spring/fall and can be worn in winter if layered properly.

johnnymiz

Reaction score

View attachment 1123453

Great minds think alike.... ;-) table saw blades are good steel.
fixed blade i made when i had a free saturday a few years ago with my daily carry "money clip"

IMG_20190210_8191.jpg

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nicely done on the saw blade! That look so like a Spyderco for your money clip. What model is it?

johnnymiz

Reaction score
It is an old Spyderco Delica serrated. It has been my money clip for over a decade.
Great knife.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads