• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My best advice is to try one on in the store if you can. I did and it was exactly as I expected, however the Journeyman was more comfortable than I imagined, so that was a better experience and happy to be proven wrong.
Also imagine that as the rucksack breaks in the leather would become more comfortable. Like many things or quality, sometimes the comfort and satisfaction isn’t immediate. I can’t say because I prefer a briefcase and my ideal backpack would be the 1 edition journeyman.

@speedy611 thanks for the shout-out. It was brutal. -25 (F) was the coldest inexperienced and in the wind that will cut right into you. Really makes me think hard about moving lol.

EB1AE435-CDA6-4CBE-89BB-AF6EAC4A35B7.jpeg

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also imagine that as the rucksack breaks in the leather would become more comfortable. Like many things or quality, sometimes the comfort and satisfaction isn’t immediate. I can’t say because I prefer a briefcase and my ideal backpack would be the 1 edition journeyman.

@speedy611 thanks for the shout-out. It was brutal. -25 (F) was the coldest inexperienced and in the wind that will cut right into you. Really makes me think hard about moving lol.

View attachment 1117468
-25 F! Wow that’s no fun at all. It’s snowing a little here and our kids have been advised to go into school an hour later tomorrow. But it’s a balmy -2c / 28F.

Stay warm!

bart

Reaction score
Thought I’d post pictures of some new items I’ve picked up. The featherweight down jacket is really great, unbelievablely warm for its weight, and I tested it last night with just a teeshirt in -5 with WC-19 for 30 minutes and was toasty. Filson does not provide the down fill weight only that it is 850 fill but I can tell you it is loaded down and is exactly what I was looking for. I got it on sale for $159, a great deal for this quality. I was concerned about the pockets being on the exterior of the down but the moleskin lining keeps them warm. The ridgeway dark navy fleece vest came today. I really like it, zipper feels flimsy compared to the Ibex Scout Jura wool vests (my gold standard) but besides that it’s very nice. The ribbed “sweater look” on the outside will allow it to be dressed up. Lastley a pair of vintage wool pants I picked up from @TinMan3 are amazing. I had to have them hemmed but they are great. The wool has to be at least 26oz as I compared it to the wool on my single and double Mackinaws and it’s noticeably thicker to the touch.

View attachment 1117389

View attachment 1117390

View attachment 1117391

I spy more of your B&B gear there. A man of good taste. I never really saw much benefit in vests, my only one is an orange wool Stormy Kromer one for hunting.

I tend to agree with @Churchill W on the rucksack. I carried mine daily for two and a half years for work and still carry it on the weekends when we're out and about in town or on trips. There's enough space for camera gear and a jacket or sweatshirt without it feeling too full. I don't find it uncomfortable enough to stop carrying it.

The only reason I stopped carrying it for work is because I picked up a navy 257 and got excited about that (and still am).

View attachment 1117449

Nice chair! Both are okay, but the Eames is where I enjoy most of my bourbon.

I've made 4 Filson purchases already this year, with the intention to send one back. People were posting their 2018 haul and I think my only thing was actually the backpack I bought my wife. When I get some time I will try to post up some pics of the new ones.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice chair! Both are okay, but the Eames is where I enjoy most of my bourbon

Bourbon you say? How much of a fan are you?
Me? I think this picture will sum that up. That Tin Cup Bottle is my “Infinity Bottle”. An idea inspired by a pharmaceutical Chemist friend.

6E9FA43B-783B-4B6E-93F5-1D9C3F290671.jpeg

Just my current collection, have had at least 50 different Bourbons over the last 3 years.

2F2A15FE-3C86-4180-B8BF-3B94E5C0A1F5.jpeg

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me? I think this picture will sum that up. That Tin Cup Bottle is my “Infinity Bottle”. An idea inspired by a pharmaceutical Chemist friend.

View attachment 1117613

Just my current collection, have had at least 50 different Bourbons over the last 3 years.

View attachment 1117614
Stagg is seriously good. I've had mixed luck with Blanton's, which is strange. Have a couple bottles of the Japan-only stuff too.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stagg is seriously good. I've had mixed luck with Blanton's, which is strange. Have a couple bottles of the Japan-only stuff too.
Stagg is a rare bird, I won that bottle at a 120 person BTAC raffle, there were only 2 bottles. They usually go for $600 to $800 on the secondary market. What’s Luck? Blanton’s is getting pretty rare as well. I had to drive 50 miles for that special reserve bottle. I hear good things about Japanese Whiskey, haven’t had any yet. Irish Whiskey is my 2nd favorite behind Kentucky Bourbon/Rye

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stagg is a rare bird, I won that bottle at a 120 person BTAC raffle, there were only 2 bottles. They usually go for $600 to $800 on the secondary market. What’s Luck? Blanton’s is getting pretty rare as well. I had to drive 50 miles for that special reserve bottle. I hear good things about Japanese Whiskey, haven’t had any yet. Irish Whiskey is my 2nd favorite behind Kentucky Bourbon/Rye
I meant the Japan-only bottles of the Blantons - Black, Gold and Straight-from-the-Barrel. My Gold is pretty good, the SftB is only OK (supposed the be the best) and I'm giving a buddy a bottle of the Black (which is the least expensive, and 80 proof). I've sampled the Japanese scotches (Hakushu 12 and the Yamazaki 12), but they got rare and expensive in a hurry. I managed to get a bottle of the Hibiki 17 before it got crazy too. All of that stuff is really, really good.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw this advertisement before a YouTube video on Filson and wanted to share it with you guys. It’s a pretty innovative suitcase, but dare I say, of the ballistic variety. I believe they have Hard Shell cases likes AWAY but I don’t think they have these features.

bart

Reaction score
DC2193CA-63A6-4705-AD55-77C3A0935D69.jpeg
FE835CA0-68BF-48DB-AD7D-53BBBF5C2305.jpeg

View attachment 1117613

View attachment 1117614

Pretty big. I’d love to have a bottle of big stagg. Had a pour at a bar but never a bottle. Had a pour of most of the pappys as well. Best bottle I have now is this Jim beam. My best one I drank was an Elijah Craig 18 when I got married.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1117689 View attachment 1117685

Pretty big. I’d love to have a bottle of big stagg. Had a pour at a bar but never a bottle. Had a pour of most of the pappys as well. Best bottle I have now is this Jim beam. My best one I drank was an Elijah Craig 18 when I got married.

Awesome presentation! I love how you repurposed the Booker’s wood Case to use as a glass case. I have a similar mod with mine (love booker’s btw, I’m a Barrel Proof fan). I use mine as a tasting notes book shelf, but I enjoy your idea better. I spy a bottle of Blanton’s and Stagg Jr. Never had a single Pappy or ORVW before, but I have had some rare ones (140 Proof Stagg which is my favorite, CA Gold, William LaRue Weller).

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Made a very small mod to my denim bag. For me, this was a no brainer. Why Filson didn’t do this from the get go is beyond me. Every cone mills garment comes with this tag, and so should the briefcase.

I will admit, it took quite a lot of effort to source an item that had a tag, remove it, learn how to backstitch, and finally make sure to stitch it on correctly, but it was a fun little adventure and I learned a new skill along the way.

166B2CBA-2C05-4DE9-9501-A5C636A2F7E5.jpeg

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1117916 Odd, this one has the tag sewn under the storm flap. Yours looks great and it's cool that you were able to try something new!
Very nice! The only upside is that I got to choose where I wanted it. Good to see that they got it right on some of these bags!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads