• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

woodsjw

Reaction score
9DDBBF39-8CD9-414E-9203-1E476375FE6F.jpeg
Picked up a Mackinaw Shirt Jacket of eBay I had been looking for since 2016 this weekend. I’ll post some more pictures soon... I hope it gets cold enough a few more times here in texas also I can wear it this year.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1114834 Picked up a Mackinaw Shirt Jacket of eBay I had been looking for since 2016 this weekend. I’ll post some more pictures soon... I hope it gets cold enough a few more times here in texas also I can wear it this year.
Awesome! Did you get this years' jac shirt? The military plaid is pretty cool!

woodsjw

Reaction score
Awesome! Did you get this years' jac shirt? The military plaid is pretty cool!

Not yet. I have the Mack Jax Shirt from last year, dark green plaid, and now this one fro two years ago... but if I can find the new one for a good price, I’ll definitely pick one up.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From a recent trip. Thought clamshell bags should get a brief shout-out especially with the similarly sized small Pullman recently on sale. This 242 has (again) become my 'go to' bag for business trips of 3-5 days. I think it's the use of the wide Filson nylon strap that has it back in heavy circulation (never liked it somehow with any leather strap I tried). I have two sport coats, 2 pairs of pants, 3 dress shirts, a pair of dress shoes, a full size toiletry kit, socks, undergarments, tee shirts, track pants in there and it's not overly compressed or stuffed (still on first notch of straps).

filson 242.jpg

Last edited:

nevadabob

Reaction score
These are all very bad photos for some reason, but at least you'll have some semblance of the shape. It fits my numb skull very well. The crown rests just on my crown and the brim barely brushes the tops of my ears. I haven't had this shaped yet, and may not. IMG_6781.JPG IMG_6782.JPG IMG_6783.JPG

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not too long ago I stated that many eBay sellers often get the MTB & LTB confused with Duffel Bags, and these 3 listings reflect that in the titles.

This one made me chuckle. Apparently he got the build number right but not the title of the bag. Also I'm guessing he must be a member here, as you can see in the Seller name. Anyone among us?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MINT-FILSO...item2ac1f68e35:g:uH0AAOSwUAxbY4a4:rk:100:pf:0

View attachment 1114268

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Filson-Med...451115?hash=item1a72292e2b:g:WokAAOSwX3ZcRjQi

View attachment 1114269

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Filson-Med...=item468e86c2cf:g:doYAAOSw76JcSJ-j:rk:18:pf:0

View attachment 1114270
The first one is @NAMOR. He probably used that title as it would come up in more searches. I think if he named it what it was he would get less exposure, which totally makes sense to me, i.e., Filson AND duffle are probably searched more than Filson AND MTB or LTB.

I've also been following bags from the last seller, specifically the 24 hour. I feel like it is a member that has posted in this thread before, the nick looks familiar to me.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are all very bad photos for some reason, but at least you'll have some semblance of the shape. It fits my numb skull very well. The crown rests just on my crown and the brim barely brushes the tops of my ears. I haven't had this shaped yet, and may not. View attachment 1115722 View attachment 1115723 View attachment 1115724
Thanks for these. What’s the deal here - I assume these are standard Stetsons with a shared logo with Filson? Or are there details that Filson have added?

bart

Reaction score
From a recent trip. Thought clamshell bags should get a brief shout-out especially with the similarly sized small Pullman recently on sale. This 242 has (again) become my 'go to' bag for business trips of 3-5 days. I think it's the use of the wide Filson nylon strap that has it back in heavy circulation (never liked it somehow with any leather strap I tried). I have two sport coats, 2 pairs of pants, 3 dress shirts, a pair of dress shoes, a full size toiletry kit, socks, undergarments, tee shirts, track pants in there and it's not overly compressed or stuffed (still on first notch of straps).

View attachment 1115679

The 242 and Small Pullman are great bags (and not really small). I actually have both at home right now doing a comparison. As far as I can tell, the capacity of both is the same.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had two Filson sightings today on my first trip with the VP bag. First guy had a duffle and a tan #256 he said he'd had for decades, and a younger guy with a newer #256 (also tan).

The VP bag looks like it's going to be a winner (not that I had any doubts).Absorbs my travel-stuff well and carries fine.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 242 and Small Pullman are great bags (and not really small). I actually have both at home right now doing a comparison. As far as I can tell, the capacity of both is the same.

Interested to see a photo comparison. Not too many people have both bags, I imagine. I think the 242 used to be the most expensive Filson twill bag at one time. There is a lot of bridle leather used in its manufacture (for a twill bag). Even the twill flap has leather edging. As Filson changes their bags over time, I have grown to appreciate this dinosaur more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads