• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canuckle

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone here would be able to tell me more about this Filson bag, based on these photos? Specifically I am wondering roughly what year it is, and if anyone knows the model # and type of bag. It has Talon zippers. When did Filson switch from Talon to YKK?

Thanks a lot!!

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (6).jpg
s-l1600 (5).jpg
s-l1600 (7).jpg

CCF1897

Reaction score
I am thinking about selling my Mac Tin Cruiser. This was a 2016 release and the XL’s sold out in about two weeks, it was one and done production. The jacket is a beast. Forest Green wool Mac,lined with flannel and otter green tin cloth overlays over the shoulder and sleeves for extra protection. I’ve only worn it a few times due to my love for my navy single Mac and forest double Mac. It just never found its place in the rotation with everything else I have, but the condition is like new, no marks or signs of wear . I can post pics or message them to anyone that is interested. Size is XL. I’m a 48R and it fits me well, I wear a 46 in both of my other Macs.
The link below was the original filson add for this.

Wanted to put it out to this group first before listing on-line.

Canuckle

Reaction score
That looks like a 242 Large Carry On to me, Canuckle.

@Canuckle its also an earlier edition, likely mid ‘90s, seeing that it does not have the straps to secure the cloth in place like there was on the later ‘90s talon 242s.

Thanks guys. I thought it was a 242 but I was confused because the 242's I looked at had some differences like the front zippered pouch and no straps inside of it to secure clothing (I kind of like that actually).

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone here would be able to tell me more about this Filson bag, based on these photos? Specifically I am wondering roughly what year it is, and if anyone knows the model # and type of bag. It has Talon zippers. When did Filson switch from Talon to YKK?

Thanks a lot!!

View attachment 1105241 View attachment 1105246 View attachment 1105247 View attachment 1105248

Like @TinMan3 has stated it’s a first edition #242 Large Carry On with Talon Zippers (phased out in 2002-2003). Based on the strap-less interior and leather I put it at 1993-1994. Filson saw multiple revisions in and around 1995-1996, which included the revision of the Small Duffel (220), from a sans storm flap to a model with a storm flap. Good find but if it were me, I would hold out until you found a 2nd edition with interior clothing straps, it just makes life easier living that clamshell lifestyle

woodsjw

Reaction score
Like @TinMan3 has stated it’s a first edition #242 Large Carry On with Talon Zippers (phased out in 2002-2003). Based on the strap-less interior and leather I put it at 1993-1994. Filson saw multiple revisions in and around 1995-1996, which included the revision of the Small Duffel (220), from a sans storm flap to a model with a storm flap. Good find but if it were me, I would hold out until you found a 2nd edition with interior clothing straps, it just makes life easier living that clamshell lifestyle

Packing cubes might make it manageable without the straps.

Stratkat

Reaction score
AECC16B6-1EC9-45FB-8A13-0D8EF53E3E68.jpeg
Also picked up a lined cruiser vest and a wool cap to match. Looks like my new winter theme will be tan and red plaid. BTW, I wasn't sure of size (even though I have many Filson vests) due to the lining of this vest. I am typically a 48L, or an XL in Filson. So I got both the XL and the XXL. The XXL is huge and will get returned, or maybe sold on ebay for higher than purchase price. Anyone who wants it here, can get it for the $160 I paid, plus shipping (anything other than XS is sold out at Filson.com).

View attachment 1105188
The vest is so practical, you are gonna love it!

CCF1897

Reaction score
I am thinking about selling my Mac Tin Cruiser. This was a 2016 release and the XL’s sold out in about two weeks, it was one and done production. The jacket is a beast. Forest Green wool Mac,lined with flannel and otter green tin cloth overlays over the shoulder and sleeves for extra protection. I’ve only worn it a few times due to my love for my navy single Mac and forest double Mac. It just never found its place in the rotation with everything else I have, but the condition is like new, no marks or signs of wear . I can post pics or message them to anyone that is interested. Size is XL. I’m a 48R and it fits me well, I wear a 46 in both of my other Macs.
The link below was the original filson add for this.

Wanted to put it out to this group first before listing on-line.

Looks like the link did not come through. Here it is if anyone is interested.

DF6D2960-E637-40D4-B554-88DC933B3F94.jpeg

B2D8CEA1-9E70-415B-AB9B-01C432AB0188.jpeg

CFCF5BD4-D082-466E-AC36-C9CB15593EAB.jpeg

F101A4B1-6F22-4237-86D4-E37F10CB4CA2.jpeg

6E08B047-AEA4-4AC7-B99A-94F73EC3FCA4.jpeg

5261C3A8-F0B8-4A2F-A408-CEE34D90D2B0.jpeg

8D2E1042-2816-4D9C-B1D6-7732AE3B443A.jpeg

Canuckle

Reaction score
I lucked out tonight big time. I went out to buy a duffle bag I saw tonight on craigslist. It was just posted 30 minutes ago and I jumped on it. Title said "Small Filson Duffle" and the pictures were poor. Guy was asking $170 I offered $150 and he accepted. So I drove out, got there, paid $150 and upon further inspection it isn't a small duffle at all, it is a Medium Travel Bag Model #246. It has YKK zippers and a build date of March 2009 and is in absolutely pristine condition, 9.5/10. Guy said he never used it has basically been sitting in his closet for 10 years. I think I got a pretty awesome deal. I really like this bag a lot. I had previously bought a Medium duffle a year and half ago (bedrock 2016 model) but was unimpressed with the leather quality and zipper quality so I sold it. This 2009 version has beautiful leather though much better quality and the zippers are smooth as butter. I think I may keep this one forever. What do you guys think, pretty good catch?
00S0S_7oi0UZMrOjE_1200x900.jpg 00H0H_f8OgCR4isma_1200x900.jpg 00q0q_emy3xG6NKD9_1200x900.jpg

00b0b_dLcwKr6xXIH_1200x900.jpg 00Y0Y_5glcX06U9z2_1200x900.jpg 01414_gkHh2oJ01ba_1200x900.jpg 00V0V_iyl2DzChzmC_1200x900.jpg 00D0D_4VfmYFiFPz1_1200x900.jpg 00606_iCWCRDDgwew_1200x900.jpg

woodsjw

Reaction score
I lucked out tonight big time. I went out to buy a duffle bag I saw tonight on craigslist. It was just posted 30 minutes ago and I jumped on it. Title said "Small Filson Duffle" and the pictures were poor. Guy was asking $170 I offered $150 and he accepted. So I drove out, got there, paid $150 and upon further inspection it isn't a small duffle at all, it is a Medium Travel Bag Model #246. It has YKK zippers and a build date of March 2009 and is in absolutely pristine condition, 9.5/10. Guy said he never used it has basically been sitting in his closet for 10 years. I think I got a pretty awesome deal. I really like this bag a lot. I had previously bought a Medium duffle a year and half ago (bedrock 2016 model) but was unimpressed with the leather quality and zipper quality so I sold it. This 2009 version has beautiful leather though much better quality and the zippers are smooth as butter. I think I may keep this one forever. What do you guys think, pretty good catch?
View attachment 1105877 View attachment 1105878 View attachment 1105879

View attachment 1105880 View attachment 1105881 View attachment 1105882 View attachment 1105883 View attachment 1105885 View attachment 1105886

Awesome! Definitely a great deal!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1105877 View attachment 1105878 View attachment 1105879

View attachment 1105880 View attachment 1105881 View attachment 1105882 View attachment 1105883 View attachment 1105885 View attachment 1105886

That’s one clean TAN! Great find and congratulations on quite a deal, even at $170 it’s a steal. 2009 was the last year that Filson offered the YKK branded zippers (switching to YKK-Filson branded zippers). Great photos too btw

It’s funny I actually touched up on exactly this topic of sellers not doing their homework before posting, and it was this bags older brother actually (#248 LTB), found On Page 925 (you must’ve have missed it). I mentioned that duffel bags don’t feature exterior pockets and in other words the STB, MTB, LTB often get confused for duffels.

I have a 1990’s Talon MTB, bought from “The GzStudio Collection”

0A90C0BD-80D8-453F-8E8F-99535AEB9E3B.jpeg

BAD9F350-402E-4A36-B0C3-2A3F6C9468E6.jpeg

Last edited:

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sunday post - longer read...

I thought I’d do a quick 2018 in review of the Filson stuff I bought and what’s been good. Photo inspired by @OtterMeanGreen from a recent post...

68954755-E55A-436D-B8D8-A805E6CC4F3C.jpeg

I bought 13 items, none at full retail, some at excellent discount. I’m well aware that this is expensive stuff, so I plan my purchases and buy with the intention of keeping and using them for a long time!

Here’s the list in purchase order from January 2018 onward

Tin Packer hat
2 x vintage flannel shirts
Moleskin shirt
Key fob
Moleskin vest
Travel tray
Snap wallet
Medium suede pouch
Small field bag
Ultra Light vest
Double tin pants
Mack cap

Accessories:
The travel tray was a way to get above a shipping price cutoff - it was cheaper to buy it, and get free shipping than to pay the shipping. It folds into a taco for storing stuff flat for travel, as well as expanding to a handy tray.

The suede pouch is gorgeous, but I’m yet to find just the right use for it. Definitely a keeper.

Key fob is used daily and is softening well, and matches my Filson wallet. Modified to remove the big clippy thing in favour of a simple split ring.

Clothing:
Tin packer hat: just awesome. Practical, good looking. Wonderful in the rain to give you that feeling of being immune to the weather. Can be sweaty in the dry as it doesn’t breathe much. Rewaxed in the fall/autumn.

I love the hand of the vintage flannel. Worn at least once a week. Generously sized, so very easy and comfortable to wear.

Moleskin shirt - a real favourite both for the colour and the comfort. It’s almost like a jacket because it stops so much of the wind.

Moleskin vest - a classic. Love it. Seems to be getting better as it breaks in.

Ultralight vest - seemingly just another insulted vest - but it is more than the sum of it’s parts. Very warm for it’s weight. Lined collar and pockets. Goes well under my Tin Cruiser. Super small to pack for travel. Modern materials but Filson feel.

Double Tin pants: Christmas gift, so too soon to tell, I’ll post more about these when I’ve worn them some more. Had wanted them for a long time though, so excited to get them.

Mackinaw cap (with ear flaps) - deeply discounted. Very comfortable, needs to shrink a little bit for perfect fit. Unique silhouette, looks great with my vintage double Mack cruiser, or tin cruiser.

Bag:
Small field bag 230 - ‘talon’ era. Paid lots of shipping and customs (relatively) to bring this over from the US. My first vintage Filson bag. The leather is coppery and very soft. This is the bag that makes me want to hop a flight to the US, meet @GzStudio , give him all my ‘modern’ stuff in exchange for lots of older stuff.

Less whimsically, it’s a practical day bag, gets used a lot. It does require a bit of planning in that if you buy anything during the day, it likely won’t fit in the bag. But for water/headphones/iPad/snacks/tea/hat it’s great.

Conclusion
Is there a single stand out item? No. It all gets used (excepting the suede pouch, but even that sits on my desk and is nice to look at). Better, this stuff all works well together. Every item is excellent quality and makes me feel good when wearing or using it. I’m lucky and grateful to have it. In its own small way it makes life easier and nicer.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sunday post - longer read...

I thought I’d do a quick 2018 in review of the Filson stuff I bought and what’s been good. Photo inspired by @OtterMeanGreen from a recent post...

View attachment 1105990

I bought 13 items, none at full retail, some at excellent discount. I’m well aware that this is expensive stuff, so I plan my purchases and buy with the intention of keeping and using them for a long time!

Here’s the list in purchase order from January 2018 onward

Tin Packer hat
2 x vintage flannel shirts
Moleskin shirt
Key fob
Moleskin vest
Travel tray
Snap wallet
Medium suede pouch
Small field bag
Ultra Light vest
Double tin pants
Mack cap

Accessories:
The travel tray was a way to get above a shipping price cutoff - it was cheaper to buy it, and get free shipping than to pay the shipping. It folds into a taco for storing stuff flat for travel, as well as expanding to a handy tray.

The suede pouch is gorgeous, but I’m yet to find just the right use for it. Definitely a keeper.

Key fob is used daily and is softening well, and matches my Filson wallet. Modified to remove the big clippy thing in favour of a simple split ring.

Clothing:
Tin packer hat: just awesome. Practical, good looking. Wonderful in the rain to give you that feeling of being immune to the weather. Can be sweaty in the dry as it doesn’t breathe much. Rewaxed in the fall/autumn.

I love the hand of the vintage flannel. Worn at least once a week. Generously sized, so very easy and comfortable to wear.

Moleskin shirt - a real favourite both for the colour and the comfort. It’s almost like a jacket because it stops so much of the wind.

Moleskin vest - a classic. Love it. Seems to be getting better as it breaks in.

Ultralight vest - seemingly just another insulted vest - but it is more than the sum of it’s parts. Very warm for it’s weight. Lined collar and pockets. Goes well under my Tin Cruiser. Super small to pack for travel. Modern materials but Filson feel.

Double Tin pants: Christmas gift, so too soon to tell, I’ll post more about these when I’ve worn them some more. Had wanted them for a long time though, so excited to get them.

Mackinaw cap (with ear flaps) - deeply discounted. Very comfortable, needs to shrink a little bit for perfect fit. Unique silhouette, looks great with my vintage double Mack cruiser, or tin cruiser.

Bag:
Small field bag 230 - ‘talon’ era. Paid lots of shipping and customs (relatively) to bring this over from the US. My first vintage Filson bag. The leather is coppery and very soft. This is the bag that makes me want to hop a flight to the US, meet @GzStudio , give him all my ‘modern’ stuff in exchange for lots of older stuff.

Less whimsically, it’s a practical day bag, gets used a lot. It does require a bit of planning in that if you buy anything during the day, it likely won’t fit in the bag. But for water/headphones/iPad/snacks/tea/hat it’s great.

Conclusion
Is there a single stand out item? No. It all gets used (excepting the suede pouch, but even that sits on my desk and is nice to look at). Better, this stuff all works well together. Every item is excellent quality and makes me feel good when wearing or using it. I’m lucky and grateful to have it. In its own small way it makes life easier and nicer.

Impressive write-up, glad I was the source of inspiration. If I had to pick a favorite it would be your Moleskin Shirt. I'm looking forward to trying one on soon at the flagship store, too bad they won't let me take it for a test drive outside of the store, so I could bear witness to it's attributes (they don't come cheap)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads