• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MCM

Reaction score
$30 for a 2008 #257 might be the deal of the year. This is the late YKK Era, which makes it even more appealing to me. You've got a good eye sir. As for the wax, I have yet to wax any Filson but recently I had my mind changed on Filson Oil Wax. For $30 you don't have much to lose here. it seems.

Thanks! I gave it a quick, light coat last night and I think it turned out well. Might do another after a week or so if I think it needs it. It's pretty tricky to get an even coat, the stuff just soaks in so quick, it's difficult to spread.

Not to try and steal your thunder but what State do you live in? I gotta give this thrifting hobby a chance, even if New Jersey is littered with Goodwill big box thrifters that probably have teams that sift out the valuable items.

I live in California (decent thrifting), but I'm from Minnesota (great thrifting), but I found this bag at a Housing Works in Manhattan.

Centralia

Reaction score
I'm curious if they had any of the weatherproof leather items at the outlet? I'm slowly building my collection ;)

@woodsjw

Yes. A very small duffel bag and a briefcase. Didn't look closely at the duffel, but did handle the briefcase. It looked A-OK to me, but I don't really like the all leather look with the design, so didn't go over it with a fine tooth comb.

Can't remember the price, but I think I recall thinking that it was quite reasonable.

woodsjw

Reaction score
@woodsjw

Yes. A very small duffel bag and a briefcase. Didn't look closely at the duffel, but did handle the briefcase. It looked A-OK to me, but I don't really like the all leather look with the design, so didn't go over it with a fine tooth comb.

Can't remember the price, but I think I recall thinking that it was quite reasonable.

Thanks for the reply! I already have the briefcase and the duffel, so I think my $$$ is safe for the moment! I need to start checking in from time to time as their are a few more pieces I'd like to own... Weatherproof Leather Dopp Kit for one.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I already have the briefcase and the duffel, so I think my $$$ is safe for the moment! I need to start checking in from time to time as their are a few more pieces I'd like to own... Weatherproof Leather Dopp Kit for one.
"Weather proof Leather Dopp Kit" - I just found that funny as the "weather" is the last thing a dopp kit will ever see (usually).

woodsjw

Reaction score
"Weather proof Leather Dopp Kit" - I just found that funny as the "weather" is the last thing a dopp kit will ever see (usually).

LOL... I actually don’t plan on using it as a dopp kit, as it’s much too large. I’d like to use it for a travel coffee kit!

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not being funny but weatherproof leather is a great choice for a wet environment like a bathroom!

Mattsky

Reaction score
My shipment has arrived! As promised, here are some shots of the haul. I got all 3 colors in the Ranger backpack, and I can't decide which one(s) to keep, so I might have to keep them all :) I like the size. I have the Rucksack in Otter Green and I find it too small to wear as a backpack (I'm 6'2", 225 lbs.) and it tends to look a but 'pursy' given its rounded shape. These might work better and they are much larger than the Rucksack so far.

upload_2019-1-11_18-1-53.png

With their included wool pouches...color is not great, sorry.
upload_2019-1-11_18-3-0.png

Last edited:

Mattsky

Reaction score
Also picked up a lined cruiser vest and a wool cap to match. Looks like my new winter theme will be tan and red plaid. BTW, I wasn't sure of size (even though I have many Filson vests) due to the lining of this vest. I am typically a 48L, or an XL in Filson. So I got both the XL and the XXL. The XXL is huge and will get returned, or maybe sold on ebay for higher than purchase price. Anyone who wants it here, can get it for the $160 I paid, plus shipping (anything other than XS is sold out at Filson.com).

upload_2019-1-11_18-4-25.png

Mattsky

Reaction score
And finally, I picked up one of the nylon backpacks, mostly because it was only $35. Had I known it also had the small wool pouch, I may have gotten a second color. The blue bag has a grey plaid pouch, same one as the black Ranger.

upload_2019-1-11_18-10-31.png

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually picked up one of those Daybags from the Filson Outlet in Marysville, WA before my last trip to Europe in November... I couldn't resist, given the outlet-store markdown + the 35% Off Sale they had. Regardless of whether most would consider it to be a "true filson"; you really can't beat $28 for a U.S. made backpack with a lifetime warranty.

It folds down flat when empty and fits perfectly inside my Pullman between packing cubes. It's great for throwing in a couple jackets, camera, souvenirs, etc. while exploring a new city. View attachment 1104916
Attempting to repack 13 days of clothes, souvenirs, and wine after driving over 2,000 miles, through 6 countries.

View attachment 1104919
SUCCESS! (@ Malpensa Airport)

You can’t beat that price and ability to stow and go. Luckily the Journeyman can also reap those benefits, but the price is certainly much greater. I’m not sure the daybag will compete with the longevity of the Journeyman though, but again, for $28, who cares.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please hold while I get my makeup, moisturizer and toner...
That’s what I thought but the quality & craftsmanship is more what I was focusing on, it appears to be that of Duluth Pack and Frost River to say the least.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My issue wasn't with the stock error, this happens to even the best online retailers... or with how they attempted to remedy the situation... it was with the lack of communication without being prompted by me asking what was going on with my purchase.

I wasn't contacted to be notified that the jacket was out of stock until I had waited over a week for a shipping notification and I finally reached out to see what was going on.

I also wasn't told that I would be notified if one came back in stock, until I expressed my disappointment that my order had been cancelled... it was also about a week before I heard back from them on my initial reply.

It's definitely a busy time for many companies, especially with end of the year sales, but I was disappointed, overall, with how the interaction went because I was left in the dark for most of the interaction and when I was told something, it didn't match what was still being communicated on their website.

I'm not mad... the jacket wasn't even something I "needed" LOL... but, IMHO, the CS followup/communication was lacking and left me untrusting that if I order something else from them in the future that it would be a positive experience.

O'well. Back to your regularly scheduled Filson conversation... ;)
Again I echo that sentiment with my recent interaction with Filson CS. I was kept in the dark for 2 weeks, and when i finally reached out they went with the same excuses that it was out of stock, even though the whole time the website showed “in stock”. Luckily it was a “gift” to myself so I didn’t suffer waiting for a Christmas Eve delivery.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I gave it a quick, light coat last night and I think it turned out well. Might do another after a week or so if I think it needs it. It's pretty tricky to get an even coat, the stuff just soaks in so quick, it's difficult to spread.

I live in California (decent thrifting), but I'm from Minnesota (great thrifting), but I found this bag at a Housing Works in Manhattan.

Wow, looks like NYC thrifting it is, only a 45 minute train ride separates me from thrifting glory.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I figured you guys would get a kick out of this. I was shopping at Target today and saw something quite familiar to our topic of “Raw Selvedge Denim”. I use quotes because I doubt for this price, it’s indeed Raw Denim. To me it looks aesthetic at best. All of their clothing products are this new company called “Goodfellow”.

F4C5948F-75F2-4381-A836-EF19A2652B0B.jpeg

B4472EAD-DCCE-425D-9699-CD8A00383560.jpeg

4C516D0F-3199-441B-A983-418598236745.jpeg

4C07E0FF-B385-4A11-AE4C-DAB55961364A.jpeg

430EC30F-9B41-410A-B714-D18E286DBF89.jpeg

4137FB31-014B-4D2B-8181-892CEA451E2B.jpeg

92CCCB07-53BD-4373-BD9D-0094612A2134.jpeg

Also they might’ve stole (or borrowed) some of Filson’s thunder with this backpack
6722FD23-C5A5-4559-9C00-9C08143D870C.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads