• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

markmel74

Reaction score
Interesting to see the difference in colors on the waxed canvas vs a 2 year old #256. Love both of them!

B13FB998-CFA8-47A3-80DB-C57D15B74043.jpeg

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes - I've never liked it. One of the reasons why I like the 256 better.

For a while, I thought about cutting it off and offering to someone on here...
Seconded. Least favorite piece of this bag, I hate it. Always have.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the snap handle. I can jeep things from flopping around and much nicer to my hands than dual straps. Less of an issue when the bag is light, but when I'm traveling...

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the snap handle. I can jeep things from flopping around and much nicer to my hands than dual straps. Less of an issue when the bag is light, but when I'm traveling...
Plus if you have a jacket you can thread it through the snapped handles and not worry about it flapping around while you shoulder carry the bag.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what do you guys think about the quality of the dopp, if you can call it that, as it looks more like a compartment case. It's crafted by a one man team from Texas, using very fine build materials consistent with Filson. The price isn't bad either for what you get. Plus I see some nice beefy YKK's similar to Filson and the use of rivets and a pretty decent liner. However the size is just to large for a dopp kit I think. But anyways just wanted to share.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/W-Durable-...item2150735f6a:g:~CUAAOSwQ5pcM~IA:rk:166:pf:0

dopp kit.PNG

mdr5401

Reaction score
Speaking of bags, eBay is now littered with these damn things.

View attachment 1104336

I actually picked up one of those Daybags from the Filson Outlet in Marysville, WA before my last trip to Europe in November... I couldn't resist, given the outlet-store markdown + the 35% Off Sale they had. Regardless of whether most would consider it to be a "true filson"; you really can't beat $28 for a U.S. made backpack with a lifetime warranty.

It folds down flat when empty and fits perfectly inside my Pullman between packing cubes. It's great for throwing in a couple jackets, camera, souvenirs, etc. while exploring a new city. SmartSelect_20190111-093032_Instagram.jpg
Attempting to repack 13 days of clothes, souvenirs, and wine after driving over 2,000 miles, through 6 countries.

20190111_083023.jpg
SUCCESS! (@ Malpensa Airport)

Last edited:

Centralia

Reaction score
Well, I didn't manage to retain ownership of the suede pouch I bought yesterday evening for long. My daughter was visiting, and she decided that she needed it more than I did. Almost lost the little tin cloth one too!

The outlet in Marysville did have a few more of those large suede pouches available, they are quite superb with amazing leather. If you've been considering one, I'd give them a call. They also have some in smooth leather, but I didn't think they were nearly as nice.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what do you guys think about the quality of the dopp, if you can call it that, as it looks more like a compartment case. It's crafted by a one man team from Texas, using very fine build materials consistent with Filson. The price isn't bad either for what you get. Plus I see some nice beefy YKK's similar to Filson and the use of rivets and a pretty decent liner. However the size is just to large for a dopp kit I think. But anyways just wanted to share.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/W-Durable-...item2150735f6a:g:~CUAAOSwQ5pcM~IA:rk:166:pf:0

View attachment 1104888

Please hold while I get my makeup, moisturizer and toner...

woodsjw

Reaction score
Hey, I understand why your disappointed in general, but I think you're being a little hard on the CS side. I would consider what you described as a very good interaction. Yes they oversold and didn't correct their website; that's really more of a business operations fault. CS on the other hand still tried to fulfill your order by sourcing the jacket from elsewhere. Ultimately, if they get one in, they are going to reach out and offer it at the same price AND they gave you an additional 20%. That's awesome. Not the situation you ultimately wanted, but to me, that's 3 things that CS did well in an attempt to mitigate the business failure.

My issue wasn't with the stock error, this happens to even the best online retailers... or with how they attempted to remedy the situation... it was with the lack of communication without being prompted by me asking what was going on with my purchase.

I wasn't contacted to be notified that the jacket was out of stock until I had waited over a week for a shipping notification and I finally reached out to see what was going on.

I also wasn't told that I would be notified if one came back in stock, until I expressed my disappointment that my order had been cancelled... it was also about a week before I heard back from them on my initial reply.

It's definitely a busy time for many companies, especially with end of the year sales, but I was disappointed, overall, with how the interaction went because I was left in the dark for most of the interaction and when I was told something, it didn't match what was still being communicated on their website.

I'm not mad... the jacket wasn't even something I "needed" LOL... but, IMHO, the CS followup/communication was lacking and left me untrusting that if I order something else from them in the future that it would be a positive experience.

O'well. Back to your regularly scheduled Filson conversation... ;)

woodsjw

Reaction score
Well, I didn't manage to retain ownership of the suede pouch I bought yesterday evening for long. My daughter was visiting, and she decided that she needed it more than I did. Almost lost the little tin cloth one too!

The outlet in Marysville did have a few more of those large suede pouches available, they are quite superb with amazing leather. If you've been considering one, I'd give them a call. They also have some in smooth leather, but I didn't think they were nearly as nice.

I'm curious if they had any of the weatherproof leather items at the outlet? I'm slowly building my collection ;)

woodsjw

Reaction score

I love the snap handle on the #257 as well. I don't have it on my Filson Leather Briefcase and the handles are very floppy compared to my #257 which have kept their shape due to being snapped together most of the time. I'm not sure I'd go through the trouble of adding one to a #256 if I didn't have it, but I like it fine on my #257 and wouldn't dream of removing it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads