• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Emthigious

Reaction score
Ah yeah that looks way better than a strap with a pad. I do like the width of the standard strap though, it's nice and congruent with the handles. I was going to say that might sound a bit too thought out and obsessed, but then I realized what forum thread I'm in :rotflmao:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 things - packing cubes. My experience is that size variety and good zips are the most important. Size so you can fit folded shirts in one, and underwear etc in others. Good zips because you’ll use them a lot and they take pressure when the cube is full.

On the hipster matrix - I saw this somewhere too recently. Agree it’s tongue in cheek but also think it shows that modern designers are looking for the heritage connection because it’s interesting and (dare I say) “authentic”.
Whilst I own Barbour, Redwing, Pendleton, Filson and LL Bean stuff, I use them for what they are meant for and don’t pair them with modern or stylistically unsuitable stuff for the sake of fashion. I just want classic, hardwearing, quality items that look good and age well. “Heritage” stuff tends to be heritage because it is all of these things.
I can’t be a hipster because despite being bearded and vegan, I have no tattoos...

That's good advice. I ended up using that exact criteria for my search and ordered a set last night....then realized I picked out the wrong color and cancelled my order. Good ol' REI no cancellation policy stopped me. Luckily I have a store not far from me and can return it there. I found the one I was looking for at Backcountry.com. The set I picked out has a structured medium cube that is good for collared shirts and pants. When it comes in I'll to a packing photo session, as there isn't too many online, especially with a MTB.

Good point on the Hipster Matrix, I wasn't insinuating that anyone here would qualify for being a hipster, even if modern day Filson plays strongly to that market lately. You're right tattoo's are a must these days, especially a sleeve with some kind of fish (not phish mind you :lol:).

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's good advice. I ended up using that exact criteria for my search and ordered a set last night....then realized I picked out the wrong color and cancelled my order. Good ol' REI no cancellation policy stopped me. Luckily I have a store not far from me and can return it there. I found the one I was looking for at Backcountry.com. The set I picked out has a structured medium cube that is good for collared shirts and pants. When it comes in I'll to a packing photo session, as there isn't too many online, especially with a MTB.

Good point on the Hipster Matrix, I wasn't insinuating that anyone here would qualify for being a hipster, even if modern day Filson plays strongly to that market lately. You're right tattoo's are a must these days, especially a sleeve with some kind of fish (not phish mind you :lol:).
Huh I have never heard of packing cubes..need to see these in action.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ummm... well first let me say that I collected GORUCK gear long before I ever owned anything from Filson... I've probably had 20+ GR bags that I've bought, used for a bit and ended up selling over the last 5-6 years.

Currently, I think I have 9... 3 GR2s, 4 GR1s, and 2 Kit Bags, but I've only paid full price once. I generally pick them up during their Christmas in July sale or around Black Friday and I usually pay 50% or below the retail price.

The great thing about the GR bags is they really hold their value, especially when a color is out of stock or discontinued. I could easily sell what I have currently and double or even triple my investment.

That's cool! Sounds like you've been with the company since the fruition. I have nothing against GoRuck and even considered one of their packing cubes, but since it's a 2-in-one it would be tough to use it with my other bags. I definitely see a Ranger Green GR2 40L in my future or a GR2 34L in Ranger Green. Maybe during that July sale you spoke of. Couldn't imagine paying retail for a GR2 40L ($495), about $200 more than my Talon MTB :lol:. The reason why it lost to the Minaal is due to the back ventilation issue others have experienced on the back when packed for a trip. Something my current BugOutBag suffers from, which prompted this whole search in the first place.

WOW!! I'm glad you said you got them on sale or 50% off, as I was gonna say the classic line, as depicted below.

PoH.png

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe not the most spectacular mod every, but I found the shoulder strap to my 256 *way* more useful without the shoulder pad. The pad doesn't really do that much in terms of weight distribution (at least not that I noticed) -- but I was always fiddling with it. Sometimes I carry my bag on the left shoulder, sometimes the right one, sometimes to my side, sometimes flung on my back. Every time the pad would be in the exact wrong spot so it would annoy me.

Believe it or not I never even considered taking mine off and trying it. Since I have the Padless version, I wonder how that would feel. Gonna try it out today with a full packing load and I'll report back on my findings. I have considered the strap that @GzStudio uses which is wider (tapered I think) towards the middle where it carries on on your shoulders.

This place isn't too bad, but I agree we tend to focus on the minute details more than most places. Although I'm sure if you found a Red Wing Forum they would be dissecting what era had the best laces and label material. :fonz:

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speedy. This is my first ever clamshell designed roller. I’ve usually gone with the more generic, traditional (and cheap) roller bags, until I got my Filson rolling carry-on, which I loved but eventually sold on ebay.

However, what changed for me (this only applies to my experiences with the Away bigger carry-on as I can’t speak to other brands), was a couple things.

First, I was able to see and use one in person. My wife bought herself one a few months before I did and I saw it in action. She was always a Briggs & Riley girl. Those are great but more in the traditional, Tumi-style black nylon bag. (Her Away bag is white - a serious departure for her).

Since I’ve been using my Away bag the last several weeks (I think you know that I travel every week for work), I’ve really fallen for it.

You put your clothes in one side and compress with their nifty compression system - basically the traditional straps but with a flat board that compresses them quite fully.

You put your shoes, Dopp kit and other stuff on the other side.

The bag easily folds up and it doesn’t bulge. It just closes to the normal size.

I found with a more traditional roller that you have to put your shoes, Dopp kit, etc. on top of your clothes and use the top of the bag (the larger zippered part) to compress it, which invariably leaves a bulge.

It just works better, in my opinion.

I still look for opportunities to carry my Filson duffles or 48 hour bags, but for the frequency of travel that I have, it’s going to be hard to go back.
Did you consider the Briggs & Riley Torq Series before you committed to the Away?

Happyish with mine, but there could be some improvements to it.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My fellow goruck brother! Haha! I love some goruck too! Goruck is how me and @woodsjw became friends and then he turned me onto to Filson! I have the same addiction and have similar GR numbers maybe a few [emoji6] more! However I have recently added a journeyman backpack to my filson lineup and really liking it so far. View attachment 1050948
That’s the one I’m carrying. The Journeyman is damn near a perfect backpack. Damn near, I say. Just a few more internal dividers or pockets and I’d be 1000% happy.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah yeah that looks way better than a strap with a pad. I do like the width of the standard strap though, it's nice and congruent with the handles. I was going to say that might sound a bit too thought out and obsessed, but then I realized what forum thread I'm in :rotflmao:
Ha! Yep - you’re fitting right in with this group of crazy people...

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you consider the Briggs & Riley Torq Series before you committed to the Away?

Happyish with mine, but there could be some improvements to it.
No. Never even considered that. My wife loves the Briggs & Riley bags as she’s had both the international sized one and the (US?) sized carry-on for years.

We’re both fans of companies like Warby Parker so the Away bag seemed to fit our needs without even considering anything else.

After carrying it now for several weeks, I have to say, the Away bag is a pretty damn nice bag. Super convenient features, works awesome.

The power of the brand is pretty amazing - I’ve had at least two people in the past week (one a flight attendant) ask me: “is that an Away bag? How do you like it?”.

Kind of crazy, honestly.

Don’t worry, though. Still love my Filsons.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. Never even considered that. My wife loves the Briggs & Riley bags as she’s had both the international sized one and the (US?) sized carry-on for years.

We’re both fans of companies like Warby Parker so the Away bag seemed to fit our needs without even considering anything else.

After carrying it now for several weeks, I have to say, the Away bag is a pretty damn nice bag. Super convenient features, works awesome.

The power of the brand is pretty amazing - I’ve had at least two people in the past week (one a flight attendant) ask me: “is that an Away bag? How do you like it?”.

Kind of crazy, honestly.

Don’t worry, though. Still love my Filsons.
I travel quite a bit, and have beat the crap out of my B&R bags, and they just shrug it off.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s the one I’m carrying. The Journeyman is damn near a perfect backpack. Damn near, I say. Just a few more internal dividers or pockets and I’d be 1000% happy.

What I’ve been saying for a long time! No one believed me until ‘Jack Ryan’ starting sporting one!!!

It is like a benevolent weed pushing out all my other ‘personal item’ sized bags from rotation like the Red Oxx Gator or the Ernest Alexander Watson or the Yuketan Mailman Bag!

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All this talk of hard cases. I’ve taken the plunge and picked up a gently used Pelican Storm rolling case in olive green. I think this will pair really well with my various Filsons, as well as being very distinctive on the luggage carousel. Yes, it’s just a box on wheels. Yes it has zero interior organisaztion. And it’s a bit heavier than a normal case, but not a complete anchor like the full Pelican transport cases are.
But it should have a lot of character and look good with scuffs and scars. It can be stickered up like a rimowa and I’m never going to worry about checking it!
I’ll report back once it arrives.

Green is a bit strong in this pic - should be more olive in person.

I’m excited.

E5873F1B-2809-4B62-9EDD-937A403C521E.jpeg

Here’s the Filson / Pelican vibe. Journeymen in evidence too...
A8275213-8A77-45B5-87D8-008F8F36A5FD.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads