• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So while I am not as prolific as @OtterMeanGreen

I beg to differ. You certainly have set the precedent for quality consecutive postings. I love your usage of professional blog style pictures as well. You certainly hit the nail on the head for everyone else's identity, especially your own, as we could use a guy such as yourself in our little Filson crew. I so need one of those pouches for internal #257 organizational storage. I just need something a bit smaller and thinner, so I can still carry my cigars and whiskey next to it (obviously right :lol:).

I like your idea of a reusable spork and steel straw (I may have to adopt that). I really like the look of your original Filson luggage tag, I have yet to see one like it. The Chicago Screw is perhaps one of the best mod/improvements you can do with a Filson; however there is one just as worthy, which is the snap enclosure mod you can do for the #256. Cranes use to perform it, but I don't think they do anymore, which can be said for their posting on here as well.

I like your "modding" style very much, as you really didn't gut anything (not much to gut in a #256 :lol:). As I've stated previously, I am not anti-mod. I do appreciate those improving the bag, especially when it relates to how they will be using it. @Davey13 says this mod will better aid him along his travels, and I tend to agree with him in that regard. How has the foam pad you added helped with the #256's tell-tale ability to flop over and not stand up on its own (like the #257 does so well)?

Wait a second; Trader Joe's & Hobby Lobby? So I guess you're not from South Africa or Australia like I originally suspected? :lol:. I'm guessing it's either Wyoming or Montana? I agree though, that's one of the main reasons why I keep coming back here, as we all have so much in common (overlap) other than just Filson, camaraderie for lack of a better word. I especially like your idea of the Maxpedition bag, I need to get me one of those.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@speedy611, an overlapping Venn diagram of the toys in all our closets, humidors, bar carts, and garages would present an interesting visual.

The spork comes in very handy, and my wife just gave me a stainless steel straw to use. I am trying to be conscious of single use items that I consume. And it is fun to eat outside on a regular basis. The spork is a titanium Snow Peak purchased off a clearance rack. Its ridiculous lightness makes me smile when using it.

I also have a much smaller "bag for inside the bag", but decided that it was too full and not "squishy" enough when inside the briefcase. I like the bigger bag not filled to capacity.

And another mod update - I used the seam ripper to make the two pen slots one larger slot this morning. You can see the clip from a pocket knife in the new larger pocket, and the iPhone in the enlarged pocket to the right.
View attachment 1002996

BTW what is that interesting looking contraption in your Maxpedition main compartment. It's the tool that presently reads "Made in USA"? It's the 2nd tool on the left most side of the main deep compartment.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great write-up Toombs. Really enjoyed your post and your focus on ensuring that you have the things that matter to you in your bag. I have a 256 AND a 257 (both acquired from our forum friend GZStudio). I'm on a 14 day trip right now (Sanibel Island, Florida half-work, half-fun) so I'm carrying the 257 (along with my Filson rolling carry-on and my Club Glove golf bag). [Side topic - how cool would it be to get a Filson golf bag?]

I like the idea of that Maxpedition bag inside your bag. I carry a Filson small leather pouch inside my 256/7 which carries extra headphones, my Fuji x100F camera, SD card reader, etc.). The challenge I have with it is it's utter lack of organization - it's literally just a pouch. I may consider one of the bags you have as another little hobby I've picked up (to add to my 30 OTHER hobbies) is Fountain Pens (Lamy 2000 in particular) and high quality notebooks (Rhodia, Clairefontaine, Field Notes, etc.) and that maxpedition could organize my life just a wee bit better, perhaps.

Oh and as far as travel goes? Off to Silicon Valley next week for meetings with a side trip to Napa because, well, why not...

How do you protect your Fuji x100F Camera while in the pouch among all of the other loose odds and ends? Also I would pay to literally see a concept of a Filson Rugged Twill Golf Bag. The age old question would of course be, what color? I too am a Pen hobbyist. Currently using my workhorse that I got as a tip while working at Ferrari, a Monteverde Invincia. At the time I wasn't too impressed, but have grown to love it. I love the weight of it in the hand and how it effortlessly moves when writing. I also have a 12 year old Space Pen from Fisher that I literally just replaced the original ink cartridge. It definitely has some pretty good patina on it from all the use it's seen over the years. The Monteverde I treat like I treat my #257, with delicacy. It still looks pretty much brand new, despite being over 8 years old.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great write-up Toombs. Really enjoyed your post and your focus on ensuring that you have the things that matter to you in your bag. I have a 256 AND a 257 (both acquired from our forum friend GZStudio). I'm on a 14 day trip right now (Sanibel Island, Florida half-work, half-fun) so I'm carrying the 257 (along with my Filson rolling carry-on and my Club Glove golf bag). [Side topic - how cool would it be to get a Filson golf bag?]

I like the idea of that Maxpedition bag inside your bag. I carry a Filson small leather pouch inside my 256/7 which carries extra headphones, my Fuji x100F camera, SD card reader, etc.). The challenge I have with it is it's utter lack of organization - it's literally just a pouch. I may consider one of the bags you have as another little hobby I've picked up (to add to my 30 OTHER hobbies) is Fountain Pens (Lamy 2000 in particular) and high quality notebooks (Rhodia, Clairefontaine, Field Notes, etc.) and that maxpedition could organize my life just a wee bit better, perhaps.

Oh and as far as travel goes? Off to Silicon Valley next week for meetings with a side trip to Napa because, well, why not...

F7184D14-16EF-4B31-928C-35BB53712D33.jpeg

Last edited:

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...The Chicago Screw is perhaps one of the best mod/improvements you can do with a Filson...

Full disclosure: I google like an old lady. That said, what is this mod? Google search did not return relevant data or pictures.

mdwsta4

Reaction score
I mentioned how irritating the 48 hour was on a few trips because the hard panel that’s supposed to keep the bottom flat digs into my hip and thigh. Carrying the bag in 90* heat a few dozen blocks in NYC I had enough! Dropped into a store, grab a pair of scissors and cut open the seam at the bottom of the bag to rip the GD insert out.

I don’t know how this isn’t a common complaint or how other people get around it. Hopefully the bag is more comfortable now. Of course, I also need to figure out how to close up the hole I created in my heat induced fit of rage

Toombs

Reaction score
Full disclosure: I google like an old lady. That said, what is this mod? Google search did not return relevant data or pictures.

The "Chicago Screw" mod that I am referring to is pictured in post #9306 by @Samgoody. He used a fixed brad, and @speedy611 in post #9312 wisely suggested a "Chicago Screw" in place of the brad. @Texan also has post #11447 that has very good pictures of this mod.

Very early in this thread there are references to use a Chicago Screw to shorten the shoulder strap in various ways, but I did not like the way it was done in the earlier posts.

Last edited:

Toombs

Reaction score
Thank-you everyone for the kind support of the several long posts with pictures. I am glad that they were well received.

In reference to the "bag in a bag" discussion, I have used a few different sized leather folio sleeves for segregating odds and ends from the general space of the briefcase for many years, but they never had enough organization and jumbled whatever wires, dongles, notes, that I put in them. I also did not like the fact that they were relatively flat so even a plug adapter for an iPhone caused a bulge in the bag.

The Maxpedition bags come in a multiple of sizes. I like them for three very specific reasons. 1) They had depth to them that would accommodate larger plugs, adapters, or thick items. 2) They opened like a book so you could see everything. 3) Similar to "grid it" systems, there were enough pockets and elastic straps to hold things into an organized structure.

Last edited:

Toombs

Reaction score
Some misc replies to comments.

@mgrennier, If I still traveled, I would definitely have held out for a #257. Honestly the only time that I want that extra little space for a jacket or fleece is while traveling. I too enjoy nice pens, and swap them around depending on my mood. However, and this is sacrilege. I have been using a Bic Crystal Pen for the last few weeks and love it. Maybe it just feels a little counter culture to me. I don't know.

@OtterMeanGreen , I appreciate the comments about the notes and pictures. That means a lot because I rarely drop into the daily conversation. My go to pen is a Fisher Space Pen in a Stainless Steel Rick Hinderer Investigator pen body. Even though right now, I am using that Bic Crystal Pen.

The foam in the bottom of the briefcase does stiffen the bottom a little - fore and aft. It does not help the bag remain upright on its own. The 256 is just too slender.

If the Crane's Handle Clasp Snap Enclosure were still available, I would probably do it. It tidies up the hand straps, and is a good place for a jacket or fleece to be held in place. It was also an option when ordered directly from Filson or Crane's. I think both places charged an extra $20-$25 for it, and up until a few years ago you could even buy the piece separately and have it sewn on at your local cobbler.

The "made in the USA" tool is a small tripod, Pedco Ultra pod tripod II. It comes in handy for taking photos of my work.

I am not from Australia, South Africa, Wyoming, or Montana. Except in terms of an adventurous spirit. Hobby Lobby is in the next town over, and I have to stock up at Trader Joe's in Atlanta, Birmingham, or New Orleans. I currently live in L.A. (Lower Alabama). If you are on Instagram, I am Toombs on there as well.

Last edited:

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a quick chime in on the pen discussion - I’m not a collector but used a Parker Sonnet all through university and love the action (especially as a lefty!) A very close family member was the managing director of Parker and I’ve got several limited run sets of the Duofolds and associated ball pens and pencils.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I head out for the day in the summer - particularly if I will be away from my car - I find I have too much stuff to comfortably fit in my pockets since I am not wearing a coat or jacket: sunglasses case, portable battery for phone, water bottle, book, keys, gum etc. However it’s far too little for a backpack or a messenger. And though ‘crossbody’ bags (formerly called ‘fanny packs’ in the US) have made a comeback, I don’t like carrying my gear on my chest or my hips.

So I have been using a Swedish 1960s army gas mask bag that I bought in Stockholm years ago for a few euro. Just the right size. Comfortable to carry (backpacks can get sweaty in hot weather). The vintage and military has deflected the murse comments so far!

EAC5DC12-D561-4C7C-9607-7DAD467EC4DE.jpeg

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mentioned how irritating the 48 hour was on a few trips because the hard panel that’s supposed to keep the bottom flat digs into my hip and thigh. Carrying the bag in 90* heat a few dozen blocks in NYC I had enough! Dropped into a store, grab a pair of scissors and cut open the seam at the bottom of the bag to rip the GD insert out.

I don’t know how this isn’t a common complaint or how other people get around it. Hopefully the bag is more comfortable now. Of course, I also need to figure out how to close up the hole I created in my heat induced fit of rage

That’s an interesting modification (fit of heat-induced rage and all) on the 48 hour bag. I’m prepping for a short two night trio to San Jose for client visits and then off to Napa for one night (2 nights total). I’m thinking my 48 hour would be just the ticket for a one-bag solution. I think removing the stiffener on the bottom may allow it to carry more like the 24 hour bag (briefcase like).

Before I do that though, what are your thoughts on how it carries after your mod?

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you protect your Fuji x100F Camera while in the pouch among all of the other loose odds and ends? Also I would pay to literally see a concept of a Filson Rugged Twill Golf Bag. The age old question would of course be, what color? I too am a Pen hobbyist. Currently using my workhorse that I got as a tip while working at Ferrari, a Monteverde Invincia. At the time I wasn't too impressed, but have grown to love it. I love the weight of it in the hand and how it effortlessly moves when writing. I also have a 12 year old Space Pen from Fisher that I literally just replaced the original ink cartridge. It definitely has some pretty good patina on it from all the use it's seen over the years. The Monteverde I treat like I treat my #257, with delicacy. It still looks pretty much brand new, despite being over 8 years old.
I don’t really protect it all that much. For a while I was putting it inside the green felt-like bag that came with my medium pouch.

(A bag inside a bag inside a bag)

I’ve since stopped doing that though although it’s a good practice.

The important parts of the camera (read: lens) is covered with both a clear filter and the lens cap.

I don’t mind a little patina on the camera.

Here is a shot from my trip to Sanibel Island with the Fuji.

8E56380F-E409-49FF-94A2-5346F8F36709.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads