• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are any of you familiar with Jimmy DiResta? He’s a maker/craftsman with a big YouTube channel. He’s in NYC

He’s done some work with Filson in the past and is now working on a canoe that will be in the NYC Filson store from September for those of you close-ish.

Nice! Have never heard of him but now I have, so thanks for sharing. That's pretty cool.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently Filson has there own branded Zippo for an uncommonly underwhelming cost of $35. Somehow on their website it's listed as "NEW", however reviews suggest it's been for sale for at least a full year. Apparently the Filson 1897 logo is only embossed and not etched, which explains the mixed reviews. Plus it's finished in antique silver and not brass.....go figure that one

https://www.filson.com/zippo-lighter.html#sku=20014429-fco-005666131

Stratkat

Reaction score
Exactly my thought, which is why after searching for Saddleback products used in the wild (camping, hiking, fishing, hunting, etc), I couldn't really find much. I'm sure people use them, but couldn't find many of them either.
Wow, I realize this is indeed a Filson forum, but there are lots of sites dedicated to Saddleback, lots of photos too, reviews good and bad. Some of them are just as passionate as you!
I first found out about them on a shoe forum there were the inevitable comparisons to Filson, which is how I found this site

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, I realize this is indeed a Filson forum, but there are lots of sites dedicated to Saddleback, lots of photos too, reviews good and bad. Some of them are just as passionate as you!
I first found out about them on a shoe forum there were the inevitable comparisons to Filson, which is how I found this site

I extended my search far outside of this forum. If you could link us to those sites (since there are many) then that would help out a lot. I'm of course referring to using Saddlebacks in a manner that many Filson's are used, which is clearly reflected by the plethora of sites that display it. So far all I see are teachers, lawyers and businessman alike using Saddlebacks. Wasn't the founder of Saddleback a teacher? That seems like the polar opposite of C.C. Filson who started off a railroad worker and later an outfitter for the logging and gold rush industries. I have no doubt that you won't find people as passionate about Saddleback as I am about Filson. But will you also find guys like @Toombs, @speedy611 & @mgrennier who enjoy utilizing their Saddlebacks in the field, who are just as passionate as I am with not yet using them for that purpose?

Stratkat

Reaction score
I extended my search far outside of this forum. If you could link us to those sites (since there are many) then that would help out a lot. I'm of course referring to using Saddlebacks in a manner that many Filson's are used, which is clearly reflected by the plethora of sites that display it. So far all I see are teachers, lawyers and businessman alike using Saddlebacks. Wasn't the founder of Saddleback a teacher? That seems like the polar opposite of C.C. Filson who started off a railroad worker and later an outfitter for the logging and gold rush industries. I have no doubt that you won't find people as passionate about Saddleback as I am about Filson. But will you also find guys like @Toombs, @speedy611 & @mgrennier who enjoy utilizing their Saddlebacks in the field, who are just as passionate as I am with not yet using them for that purpose?
You’ll have to do the research yourself, I satisfied my own curiosity and am very happy with my stuff. I will say I’d venture to say most of Filson customers probably use them for office as well, we are no longer living in the age of exploration. That being said I have the same faith in my Saddleback stuff as I do in Filson, it’s that well made, and there are some features I like more. As to what Dave did Before he became and captain of industry I do not know, I do know he is world traveled and has done a lot of field testing of he designs before manufacturing

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
h
The size difference between those two are quite sizable. How was the experience overall. Did you have to hike to your campsite?

The medium (old size) is 2.5x bigger than the small so sizable difference. The advantage of larger sized duffles becomes very apparent when you start packing gear like fleece jackets and towels. The small duffle which I have used for 2-3 day business trips becomes pretty undersized for camping. On the other hand, the Sportsman becomes more useful for hauling odds and ends from flashlights to first aid kits.

I did not hike but drove into the campsite. I liked using Filson goods in this context. Though there was much less navel gazing about my choice of luggage than on business trips.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly my thought, which is why after searching for Saddleback products used in the wild (camping, hiking, fishing, hunting, etc), I couldn't really find much. I'm sure people use them, but couldn't find many of them either.

My comment was mostly about the huge heavy leather Saddleback briefcases with the heavy steel hardware. But admittedly, I don’t like the cowboy/Western look in most leather goods. Some people can carry it off; I am not one of them.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It’s a hard comparison to make. Filson was founded during a time where almost all men had physically demanding jobs often with exposure to the elements. Saddleback was founded relatively recently with much of its popularity built around internet buzz. Having said that the predominant forum for Filson enthusiasts is on styleforum.net so I am not sure one or the other iis attracting a dramatically different clientele from one another in 2018. Look at the upmarket locations of the new Filson stores and the catalog photography.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’ll have to do the research yourself, I satisfied my own curiosity and am very happy with my stuff. I will say I’d venture to say most of Filson customers probably use them for office as well, we are no longer living in the age of exploration. That being said I have the same faith in my Saddleback stuff as I do in Filson, it’s that well made, and there are some features I like more. As to what Dave did Before he became and captain of industry I do not know, I do know he is world traveled and has done a lot of field testing of he designs before manufacturing

But I already have researched myself (as you will see reflected in both of my comments), and I found next to nothing. Based on your assumptions I should be able to satisfy my efforts with as much Saddleback products in the field/wild as Filson, but that is simply not true. At the very least I should be able to type in Google images and see that reflected, but only Filson is, in terms of being used as intended

He was most certainly a teacher as that is in the company bio.

That's the good thing about forums, it serves many as a key to information, knowledge and passion about something. As you can see on this thread (since you read it twice) that we help each other out and would never say "you'll have to do the research yourself" when someone is asking for help. We even go as far as helping search for bags that one is searching for (I've done it and it's been done for me). It's more like a brotherhood than a forum, at least that's what I think.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My comment was mostly about the huge heavy leather Saddleback briefcases with the heavy steel hardware. But admittedly, I don’t like the cowboy/Western look in most leather goods. Some people can carry it off; I am not one of them.

That is what my comment was about too. I understand that they now make Canvas goods, but I understand that to be a newer edition to the company and not yet tested through time and heavy usage/wear.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently Filson has there own branded Zippo for an uncommonly underwhelming cost of $35. Somehow on their website it's listed as "NEW", however reviews suggest it's been for sale for at least a full year. Apparently the Filson 1897 logo is only embossed and not etched, which explains the mixed reviews. Plus it's finished in antique silver and not brass.....go figure that one

https://www.filson.com/zippo-lighter.html#sku=20014429-fco-005666131
I bought one. :)

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:fonz: but of course you did, as it is a cool product for an incredible low price (so unlike Filson :lol:), about the same price as a regular zippo. I still have my eye on a solid brass one with the pipe lighter insert. That's kind of a side hobby of mine; tobacco pipes and accessories, tons of cool vintage briarwood pipes and antique heritage lighters.

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:fonz: but of course you did, as it is a cool product for an incredible low price (so unlike Filson :lol:), about the same price as a regular zippo. I still have my eye on a solid brass one with the pipe lighter insert. That's kind of a side hobby of mine; tobacco pipes and accessories, tons of cool vintage briarwood pipes and antique heritage lighters.
To add to this, they had a run last year. I like this design better, but that would be why it has reviews. It’s definitely referring to its predecessor.

I thought $35 was a steal. This is definitely a collectible Filson item that will likely be sought after at some point. But this one goes in my ‘personal collection’, even though I am not a smoker in any variety. Just a very cool piece to take camping twice a year :)

Stratkat

Reaction score
That is what my comment was about too. I understand that they now make Canvas goods, but I understand that to be a newer edition to the company and not yet tested through time and heavy usage/wear.
If you picked one up you would know it’s up to any thing you could throw at it.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To add to this, they had a run last year. I like this design better, but that would be why it has reviews. It’s definitely referring to its predecessor.

I thought $35 was a steal. This is definitely a collectible Filson item that will likely be sought after at some point. But this one goes in my ‘personal collection’, even though I am not a smoker in any variety. Just a very cool piece to take camping twice a year :)

So does the new one feature an etched Filson label, or is it still something that might wear off in time?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads