• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will say, the tin cloth rucksack is so tempting. It was extremely impressive in person. I had seen it online, but that simply didn’t do it justice. I’m not sure if you remember but when I saw it in the London store I thought it may be a new model lol.

I think my other concern about tin cloth may not be founded, but I have heard that it simply doesn’t hold up as well as twill. How have your tin cloth bags held up @speedy611 ?

@TinMan3 - I remember! The rucksack is a bit of an interesting choice. Who is it marketed at? It’s not that large, and it’s not a “classic Filson” like a 256. But as you saw it’s impressive. Quilted back padding, all leather straps, cool interior detachable organizing pocket that will take small laptop or iPad. Clever side entry zip, and really nice proportions. It looks and feels beautiful.
0F1E776E-EA0B-4E54-B76D-10C4782FC3E0.jpeg

(Pinterest)

I used mine last year on a 3 week round the world trip, along with my large duffle. The rucksack was my carry on for long flights, my mobile office, my day bag for excursions. It did it all with ease and I enjoyed using it. Yes, a 256 could have done the same thing, but the rucksack was a good crossover between a bag for the office and a bag I could use off duty. A 256 on a family day out or a country walk just feels odd.

DBCFD8E6-5474-49EE-92CB-5A89C3C21D6D.jpeg

(Pinterest)

So what about that Tin Cloth? It’s 15oz, same as the tin cruiser jackets which are famed for their toughness. It can be rewaxed over and over. I really like the waxed finish look, and disagree with the idea that it looks dirty rather than patina’d. As I’ve said here before, the tin cloth is easy to clean. It might get dirty more quickly than twill but that dirt is easier to remove than if you get oil or coffee on twill.

As to durability of the tin cloth it’s good so far. My bags aren’t getting checked in so they are spared that treatment. I think the more waxed finish probably helps bags slide off things that might snag on twill. Only a theory but if true means you could use less material for the same durability - thus 15oz vs 22oz.

Go buy the rucksack :)

83F57B82-77AB-43D6-927A-9B8B3069A447.jpeg

(Pinterest)

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice ode to the tin cloth rucksack, Speedy611! I agree a rucksack is great on a trip as it can do triple duty as your ‘personal item’ on the flight, your work bag and as a casual bag walking in the town and country. I don’t like carrying a briefcase - even a casual soft one - when I’m “off-duty”but something like the rucksack fits right in.

Regarding the tin cloth durability issue. I think there is often a trade-off between weight and durability so it’s a matter of the right tool for the job. As I have written before, I reserve my 34oz heavy tin duffle for checking. But I wouldn’t want or need a 34oz heavy tin rucksack. Too heavy for the usage it would receive.

Roostertxp

Reaction score
What does the black and brown filson look like after a year or so of use? Any pics? See plenty of tan and green but wondering how the darker brown and black wears over time.

Samgoody

Reaction score
If you're a Filson fan who is somewhat annoyed by the floppiness of the leather shoulder strap excess "tongue," here's my hack: Go to your local cobbler and have them insert a brass brad to secure the tongue to the strap. You obviously have to be someone who has a single, preferred length-setting on your shoulder strap. If you are, this is a great way to set it and forget it -- and reduce wind resistance in the airport concourse.

IMG_7042.jpg

IMG_7043.jpg

IMG_7041.jpg

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does the black and brown filson look like after a year or so of use? Any pics? See plenty of tan and green but wondering how the darker brown and black wears over time.
Don’t have personal experience or photos to share, but what I have tended to see is that they “fade” quite a bit. Along with that, they both fade into sort of a brownish color. Someone else may have personal experience, but I tend to prefer how the tan and green age to the brown and black.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@TinMan3 - I remember! The rucksack is a bit of an interesting choice. Who is it marketed at? It’s not that large, and it’s not a “classic Filson” like a 256. But as you saw it’s impressive. Quilted back padding, all leather straps, cool interior detachable organizing pocket that will take small laptop or iPad. Clever side entry zip, and really nice proportions. It looks and feels beautiful.
View attachment 904020
(Pinterest)

I used mine last year on a 3 week round the world trip, along with my large duffle. The rucksack was my carry on for long flights, my mobile office, my day bag for excursions. It did it all with ease and I enjoyed using it. Yes, a 256 could have done the same thing, but the rucksack was a good crossover between a bag for the office and a bag I could use off duty. A 256 on a family day out or a country walk just feels odd.

View attachment 904021
(Pinterest)

So what about that Tin Cloth? It’s 15oz, same as the tin cruiser jackets which are famed for their toughness. It can be rewaxed over and over. I really like the waxed finish look, and disagree with the idea that it looks dirty rather than patina’d. As I’ve said here before, the tin cloth is easy to clean. It might get dirty more quickly than twill but that dirt is easier to remove than if you get oil or coffee on twill.

As to durability of the tin cloth it’s good so far. My bags aren’t getting checked in so they are spared that treatment. I think the more waxed finish probably helps bags slide off things that might snag on twill. Only a theory but if true means you could use less material for the same durability - thus 15oz vs 22oz.

Go buy the rucksack :)

View attachment 904022
(Pinterest)
You make an excellent point. On my most recent business trip to California, just after returning from the UK, I took my medium duffle and my 256. The combo was fine, but I think that the rucksack rather than the 256 would have been more practical. I think the reasoning behind it is that both a briefcase and duffle are made to be carried in the same way, by the straps. It would be much more natural to have the rucksack with the duffle, as one is on you back and the other is carried by your side.

Speedy, I would love to see some pictures of your patina'd rucksack when you have a chance. BTW, keep an eye out for the photos I took during our meet-up. Will be sending them out in a few minutes. I do apologize for the delay.

dukerules

Reaction score
Don’t have personal experience or photos to share, but what I have tended to see is that they “fade” quite a bit. Along with that, they both fade into sort of a brownish color. Someone else may have personal experience, but I tend to prefer how the tan and green age to the brown and black.
I have a friend who has a brown 256 that is approaching one year of age. The brown has mellowed quite a bit, and it looks a lot better than it did when he first bought it.

woodsjw

Reaction score
Good evening my fine, Filson friends...

I apologize for my absence as of late... this week I've been taking the GOEs (General Ordination Exam) and I've been spending about 8 hours a day writing so I haven't had much interest in writing in my off hours! I still owe the forum some pictures of my newly acquired 266... I'll try to get those up on the next few days.

Hope everyone is well! I've enjoyed catching up on reading the posts I've missed and it's nice to see some additional contributors adding the conversation!

Cheers!

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I apologize for my absence as of late... this week I've been taking the GOEs (General Ordination Exam) and I've been spending about 8 hours a day writing so I haven't had much interest in writing in my off hours! I still owe the forum some pictures of my newly acquired 266... I'll try to get those up on the next few days.

Hope everyone is well! I've enjoyed catching up on reading the posts I've missed and it's nice to see some additional contributors adding the conversation!

Cheers!
You also owe us pictures of your repaired Talon 257? Or did I miss something while abroad? Lol

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're a Filson fan who is somewhat annoyed by the floppiness of the leather shoulder strap excess "tongue," here's my hack: Go to your local cobbler and have them insert a brass brad to secure the tongue to the strap. You obviously have to be someone who has a single, preferred length-setting on your shoulder strap. If you are, this is a great way to set it and forget it -- and reduce wind resistance in the airport concourse.

View attachment 904111

View attachment 904112

View attachment 904113

Thanks for this Sam. Could I suggest a chicago screw instead of the permanent brad? It can just be undone so is less permanent. You could then have 2 or 3 holes for the tongue that would correspond to different strap lengths.

4DA776C8-C375-45DA-9B1C-3C39D30BF05F.jpeg

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You make an excellent point. On my most recent business trip to California, just after returning from the UK, I took my medium duffle and my 256. The combo was fine, but I think that the rucksack rather than the 256 would have been more practical. I think the reasoning behind it is that both a briefcase and duffle are made to be carried in the same way, by the straps. It would be much more natural to have the rucksack with the duffle, as one is on you back and the other is carried by your side.

Speedy, I would love to see some pictures of your patina'd rucksack when you have a chance. BTW, keep an eye out for the photos I took during our meet-up. Will be sending them out in a few minutes. I do apologize for the delay.

Thanks for the photos - much appreciated!
I’ll take some pics of the rucksack in the next day or two.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My wife uses a black zip tote. It’s beginning to soften and fade a little, but so far remains definitively black.

A friend has the navy zip tote that has seen a lot more use, and is turning into a quite soft, medium blue shade. It looks good, quite evenly faded. Sorry no pics.

I assume that all the twill starts out from the same source, and is then dyed and wax impregnated. Over time and use, it would make sense that whatever the starting colour they all begin to revert to the original colour of the cotton. We know that the otter green and tan both end up looking quite similar given enough time.

I don’t know whether the colour of the bags is sort of ‘stuck on’ to the surface of the cotton fibre in the way that indigo is to denim, or if the dye is deeper. If it is, then that’s more reason the bags would tend toward the same shades over time.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cheers!
Hope all goes well on this Woods. I have a bit of background in this area and also have a friend shortly to be ordained in the church of England. It’s a big commitment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads