• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wood Street

Reaction score
Finally my Waxy heavy tin duffle starts to soften up and get some nice wear!

C20E8FBF-A396-47BC-8DEE-6A2D7FF3BCE5.JPG

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This might be superfluous at this point (especially coming from me), but why the heck not. Has anyone else noticed that this (I call it faux) "redesigned" Sportsman that Filson is selling on their website, is not only different, but it lacks something that most seasoned bag designers practice. That is developmental improvement within design, function, and most importantly, listening to consumer feedback. I'm not referring to the fact that it's now made with a lighter weight fabric (as they don't mention anything about 22 OZ Twill in their description), or that it's 5 inches smaller in total dimension, and I'm certainly not referring to their exploiting of nostalgia in the form of using a pad-less shoulder strap (which I have yet to find any evidence that the 266 was even around long enough for a pad-less shoulder strap).

NO NO NO NO NO!!!! I'm referring to the fact that it's missing one key upgrade (or modification if you will). If they listened to their customer base (or read Filson fan's article), you know the ones keeping their cash green, then they would've addressed the bridle leather handle strap that gets chewed to bits by the abrasion of the zipper teeth (open and closed). With the leather quality (and longevity declining) I would estimate that these new "Sportsman's" won't fair as well as my 2010 #266 or @Soletrane 2013 #266. I'm not talking about them adding a storm flap or a complete overhaul, just include a simple leather or rugged twill cover for the strap that comes in contact with the zipper teeth, or w/e else they can improvise.

If Filson ever revived the Medium Travel Bag or the #70257, I would at least hope they would listen to customer feedback which wouldn't be all that hard considering it's all pretty much in one place....THIS FORUM THREAD!!!! The main issue with both of these discontinued bags, that are called to mind is the "bag suicide" as I call it, which happens when it's on your shoulder or being held by the shoulder strap (when it flips over on itself). Many have said a simple fix would be to lower the leather D-Ring Brace downwards (or whichever way LOL)

According to the original owner of my 2010 #266, he only used it a few times and this is what it looked like afterwards. I have since covered it with leather tennis grip tape, but that carries with it, it's own king of problems (leather flaking from adhesive tape). I guess I'll take that over the strap tearing completely from the teeth and the load pressure put on them. I guess my main point is why do they leave it to the paying consumer to fix an oversight that eventually renders their bags as useless (in some form), an oversight that they know all to well, if they cared to research before reviving it (or redesigning it in their unique case). Chew on that for a little but let's have a discussion about it. If Filson has any moles here than who knows what the future will bring back (i'm talking about discontinued bags of course :fonz:)

IMG_4817.JPG

Last edited:

turdburglar

Reaction score
Hi all, not having much success with searching.. but curious if anyone has purchased a waxed canvas small duffle from ebay? They seem to be going for $210-$220 for brand new but I am unsure what to expect. Based on what I've read here, I could be expecting a second quality bag?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all, not having much success with searching.. but curious if anyone has purchased a waxed canvas small duffle from ebay? They seem to be going for $210-$220 for brand new but I am unsure what to expect. Based on what I've read here, I could be expecting a second quality bag?

Ask the sellers of the ones in your price range if their bags are seconds.

turdburglar

Reaction score
Ask the sellers of the ones in your price range if their bags are seconds.

Yes, I have done that and await their response- but also looking for feedback from any members who may have purchased same. Cheers!

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gratuitous shot of my typical road warrior load on the streets of Chicago (waiting for my uber)

256 - first time in the wild for me with my talon-era Original. Still has a bit of a musty smell but dramatically better than it was. Hoping that some use will eventually get rid of the last remaining wet tent smell.

And of course the newer medium duffle which is one of my favorite bags - indestructible.

View attachment 864473

Mgrennier, the 256 is how I imagine a 256 should age - gentle fading and softening of the twill and leather.

I think frequent use combined with defumigation, sunshine, etc eventually kills the funk.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Medium Duffel in NAVY is looking more fetching each and every time I see it. What is happening to me :cloud:, can I actually be considering a bedrock duffel over a talon era otter green or tan?

Can I ask what month/year it was built so I can keep that in mind if one crosses my path?
Mine has a build date of 06/16 so it's a newer one. The thing about the Medium Duffles is that they reduced the size of the medium to a much more manageable size (airport overhead friendly) than the previous one. I think they reduced the size some time in 2015 or 2016 so it's a pretty recent change.

If you look for an older one, you're bound to get a much bigger "medium". Here are the sizes:

Newer Medium Duffle: 20 x 13 x 12 = 3,120 cubic inches
Older Medium Duffle: 24.5 x 13.75 x 11.5 = 3,874 cubic inches

I owned an older one and it was friggin huge (reminded me of the size of the old Army duffles you'd see guys carry back in the day).

I'm really a fan of the Navy. I think it looks awesome. That said, I think the 48 hour that I'll eventually get will be green (my first green Filson except for my Fly Fishing Vest)

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have done that and await their response- but also looking for feedback from any members who may have purchased same. Cheers!

I’m not responding as a Filson expert, but as an EBay expert. The answer to your question will vary from seller to seller, and unless another person here has dealt with one of the sellers you are looking at, their experience will be irrelevant.

As for me, I always list seconds as such. But I don’t sell that much Filson stuff.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mgrennier, the 256 is how I imagine a 256 should age - gentle fading and softening of the twill and leather.

I think frequent use combined with defumigation, sunshine, etc eventually kills the funk.
Dude, I'm hoping so. Maybe it's just me, but every time I pick it up I have the not-so-faint smell of an old canvas tent. I'm going to push through and persevere though because I do like the look of it better than my '14 version.

it's definitely got a great feel to it. I really like the shorter leather padless strap as it doesn't swing around too much and, quite frankly, I'm not carrying 400 lbs in there - just a laptop, some chargers, notebooks and pens. I don't like not having the key holder inside but I didn't need it this trip as I'm becoming Uber's best customer (or so it seems) and don' t have my keys on me.

turdburglar

Reaction score
I’m not responding as a Filson expert, but as an EBay expert. The answer to your question will vary from seller to seller, and unless another person here has dealt with one of the sellers you are looking at, their experience will be irrelevant.

As for me, I always list seconds as such. But I don’t sell that much Filson stuff.

Thanks Fueco- appreciate the feedback. I'll wait to hear back from the seller. :)

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine has a build date of 06/16 so it's a newer one. The thing about the Medium Duffles is that they reduced the size of the medium to a much more manageable size (airport overhead friendly) than the previous one. I think they reduced the size some time in 2015 or 2016 so it's a pretty recent change.

If you look for an older one, you're bound to get a much bigger "medium". Here are the sizes:

Newer Medium Duffle: 20 x 13 x 12 = 3,120 cubic inches
Older Medium Duffle: 24.5 x 13.75 x 11.5 = 3,874 cubic inches

I owned an older one and it was friggin huge (reminded me of the size of the old Army duffles you'd see guys carry back in the day).

I'm really a fan of the Navy. I think it looks awesome. That said, I think the 48 hour that I'll eventually get will be green (my first green Filson except for my Fly Fishing Vest)

I have the old medium duffle in heavy tin - it's a beast so I only use as a checked bag or a long family vacation. Last business trip with it was a 2 week plus trip to Switzerland in the winter. Size comes in handy for weekend cold weather gear. Can only imagine how big the L or XL are/were!

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there are a lot of heavy travelers on this thread. I just finished up 4 months back and forth to Chicago.

Now will be starting a new project which means I get the pleasure of flying through Newark . . . In the winter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads