• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ooohh, very nice!

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Raise your hand if you rock a tote and you're proud. [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR]
Okay, I admit it. I rock a tote too. (Heavy tin, moss open tote.) Best gym bag. Ever.

Last edited:

gloose

Reaction score
I am selling a $385 Filson Gift Card for $350 obo. Message for details if interested.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
EDIT - SOLD!!!

Hey guys, thought since you're all Filson fans here I'd offer something pretty interesting. Here's a luggage tag for bags, totes, etc. Brand new with tags. Retail is $42 with shipping. I dunno, gimme say $25 plus $5 shipping for a total of $30 to anywhere in North America and it's yours. PM me if you're interested.

Last edited:

converge

Reaction score

I use this with my 240, 222, 257...works brilliantly - no slippage, good weight distribution and looks great too!
The OEM Leather strap is rubbish, practically!

Not a huge fan of the standard Filson leather strap with my 256. I find that it's too long and the leather pad digs into my shoulder when the 256 is full loaded. Filson sells their leather straps on their website but for some reason does not sell their webbed straps that are similar to this.

I'd be interested in trying the strap quoted above but just not sure I want to spend $55 when it may or may not be more comfortable.

converge

Reaction score

Don't get me wrong, gmanoftheroad, I am fully fine with the concept of "imitation being the most sincere form of flattery".  That said, the amount of detail that is EXACTLY the same between the Filson and the Vermilyea Pelle (and now the Gustin thanks to dcg for pointing that out) just seemed remarkable to me.  

That's all.  No worries.  

The canvas in the VP looks more like the waxed canvas that Frost River makes - I have one of their bags and they, too, are very nice.  

That Vermilyea Pelle is a sweet bag - on that we can all agree.

Last edited:

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've always thought size of the zipper tote would make a great daily carry but was turned off by the long handles and lack of shoulder strap. After carrying the 257 for a few years I began to explore the tote again after needing more room. I finally pulled the trigger on the zipper tote and immediately regretted it. So instead of returning it I though I would try making it into the bag I wanted. I shortened the handles and added the shoulder strap and anchors from my small duffel. This is now the best Filson bag that I've owned. The size and weight are perfect for what I've been looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! That's a great idea! I am going to try the same as I have an old faux-filson that I don't mind to deconstruct...would appreciate a better photo of the anchors, if possible.

tekaddict

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase my first Filson bag. I'm an IT Network Engineer and work in a NYC midtown firm. My daily items to carry are an iPad Pro 12.9 inch model, Mobile MiFi device, mouse, chargers and cables, eyeglasses, sunglasses, umbrella, notepad, water bottle, hat/gloves for winter months, and at times a 13 or 15 inch laptop. I don't carry the laptop everyday, mostly when traveling. I really like the Filson canvas look. I want a bag that looks good for casual dress/suit for work and also looks good for jeans/button shirt days. Is the Filson Small Duffle Bag too big for my use for everyday? How about the 24 hour tin bag? I found some 72 hour tin bags on eBay. I'm use to messenger style bags and Tumi backpacks but want a change.

Last edited:

cchaplow

Reaction score
Thinking of buying a bag for luggage. I'm torn between the medium duffel and the Pullman. Any suggestions? I like the look of the pullman more but the strap anchor points on the back may be annoying. The duffel seems more versatile but more of a pain to get things in and out of it. Just my thoughts of the two without seeing them in person. I also need them to fit in airline carry-on storage and I believe that they both will. My edc is a 257 and I love it.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thinking of buying a bag for luggage.  I'm torn between the medium duffel and the Pullman.  Any suggestions?  I like the look of the pullman more but the strap anchor points on the back may be annoying.  The duffel seems more versatile but more of a pain to get things in and out of it.  Just my thoughts of the two without seeing them in person.  I also need them to fit in airline carry-on storage and I believe that they both will.  My edc is a 257 and I love it.

I have the old large carry-on ref 242 (similar to the small pullman)and the larger recently discontinued medium duffle.

The clamshell design of the former means it is easier to pack folded clothes but find it is not a comfortable bag to carry despite its narrow profile as the strap attachment means the bag pulls away from you when carried. I prefer the duffle in terms of ease of carry. I use mesh bags or eagle creek folders to keep things neat and organized in the duffle. I find the small duffle harder to pack but not so much the medium. After trying otherFilson bags, I am also digging more and more the simple casual style of the duffles. Cool but much more under the radar than some of the other Filson.

Last edited:

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking to purchase my first Filson bag.  I'm an IT Network Engineer and work in a NYC midtown firm.  My daily items to carry are an iPad Pro 12.9 inch model, Mobile MiFi device, mouse, chargers and cables, eyeglasses, sunglasses, umbrella, notepad, water bottle, hat/gloves for winter months, and at times a 13 or 15 inch laptop.  I don't carry the laptop everyday, mostly when traveling.  I really like the Filson canvas look.  I want a bag that looks good for casual dress/suit for work and also looks good for jeans/button shirt days.  Is the Filson Small Duffle Bag too big for my use for everyday?  How about the 24 hour tin bag?  I found some 72 hour tin bags on eBay.  I'm use to messenger style bags and Tumi backpacks but want a change.

I would go with an original briefcase in navy blue unless you really want to have some spare room or you prefer to have padding http://www.filson.com/luggage-bags/briefcases-computer-bags/original-briefcase-1.html

I use the navy in a similar setting as yours and find it matches well from casual jeans up to semi-dressy. It isn't really the best match with a full suit and tie but with khakis and sportscoat it works well.

Friday

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase my first Filson bag. I'm an IT Network Engineer and work in a NYC midtown firm. My daily items to carry are an iPad Pro 12.9 inch model, Mobile MiFi device, mouse, chargers and cables, eyeglasses, sunglasses, umbrella, notepad, water bottle, hat/gloves for winter months, and at times a 13 or 15 inch laptop. I don't carry the laptop everyday, mostly when traveling. I really like the Filson canvas look. I want a bag that looks good for casual dress/suit for work and also looks good for jeans/button shirt days. Is the Filson Small Duffle Bag too big for my use for everyday? How about the 24 hour tin bag? I found some 72 hour tin bags on eBay. I'm use to messenger style bags and Tumi backpacks but want a change.

You could look at the Padded Computer Bag. I used it daily and carried similar items. It's a bit on the big side, but the slight padding, especially on the bottom, is really nice to have if you plan on carrying a lap top. Blue or black are really versatile if you're using it in a work environment.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi tekaddict.

Welcome to the Filson craziness.

I'd recommend the 24 hour bag or the Original Briefcase. (first of all, you should know that the 72 hour and 24 hour bag are the same bag - just a name change). I currently carry the 24 hour bag as my every day bag. I have it in the tan tin cloth (although I used to have it in the navy, which I also liked). Any of the above will allow you to comfortably carry your relatively light load.

My reason for going with the 24 hour bag vs. the Original Briefcase is that the two front pockets give me just a bit more storage to throw sunglasses in there or whatever. I've even used it several times on one night overnight trips. If you look closely, you'll note that the 24 hour bag is basically the Original with two pockets sewn on the front AND it's a lighter-weight material than the original.
If you're in Manhattan, Filson has a store in town where you could go look at them in person.

Either way, I think you'll be happy with a Filson bag. They're indestructible.

By the way, you'll not find many Tumi fans on this forum!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads