• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

does anyone have any thoughts on using the medium duffle in real life?

I have one at home that I am considering returning as while it looks cool, i think functionally it may not be all that.
Seems a bit hard to find stuff inside of it, and is rather uncomfortable to lug around.

I also have an Rei Cargo Weekender http://www.rei.com/product/747934/rei-cargo-weekender-bag , which i currently use for all my weekend trips and it is alot more functional. U shaped zippers, mutliple compartments,lighter,etc.... and its only ~60 bucks. Of course its REI, and nylon. Not so cool looking.

I've had my medium duffle for about a year. While I love the material and everything, I am disliking it more and more because of its size and weight. I probably would've been fine with a small. I find it easy to pack but lugging it around an airport or city is a *****.

Maybe I'm just a ***** but I might look for a lighter and smaller bag.

Yeah. It all depends what you use it for. If I needed it for a weekend golf trip, that's one thing. I ******* hated myself toting it around Asia for two weeks.

I use the medium duffle all the time, weight is a bit too much but function and durability is more important for me in bags. Find it perfect for asia, over the shoulder means no issues with crowds, easy to toss into cabs and stuff like that. Again depends on what you prefer i guess. And my 257 is way heavier than the porter bag I was debating but ended up going with 257 though kinda wish I kept the porter. Canvas / leather (real useful canvas, not the thin waxed stuff) is always gonna weigh way too much.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The truth is, you only buy Filson to be stylish. If you want performance i.e. water resistance and light-weight there are far better options out there.

poena

Reaction score

The truth is, you only buy Filson to be stylish. If you want performance i.e. water resistance and light-weight there are far better options out there.

any recs on a different bag to use as a carry on that's lighter weight and quality?

Kwaker

Reaction score
Agree with AriGold ... as I use my medium Field Bag as a diaper bag, I realize that my purchase was driven more by fashion than by function.

On the other hand, my Levi's by Filson trucker jacket is super practical this time of year.

Last edited:

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mine has served me well for over 20 years, before they were stylish and USA made products were common.

jruthe82

Reaction score
I have been reading this thread for a while and enjoy all the input.
I was wondering if anyone out there would like to trade a green 258 for a 257 straight up.
I have used it for a while in college when I had a lot to transport and now don't need all the space.
It is in great shape, nicely worn, but no damage.
Thanks,

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mine has served me well for over 20 years, before they invented less stylish but more technical and practical gear.

Fixed that for you. and i agree that Filson bags are extremely durable.

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Completely with AriGold. Even the stylish part is debatable. Many prefer the lightweight tech-fabric of Samsonite and Tumi in the outside-SF world.

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Completely with AriGold. Even the stylish part is debatable. Many prefer the lightweight tech-fabric of Samsonite and Tumi in the outside-SF world.

I've been asked a ridiculous amount of times who made my duffle. Never a word about any more outdoorsy or technical gear

ChadHahn

Reaction score
I have light computer bags, backpacks and other luggage but they are all stuck in the closet while I use the Filson. Light weight doesn't last long in the hold of a plane.

Chad

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

how practical is wearing a suit, shirt, leather soled shoes to work when we could be wearing sneakers, dry-fit tech underwear, and goretex jumpsuits? (don't rule out seeing that in SW&D forums though ;) )

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

how practical is wearing a suit, shirt, leather soled shoes to work when we could be wearing sneakers, dry-fit tech underwear, and goretex jumpsuits? (don't rule out seeing that in SW&D forums though ;) )

haha lawrence i do not dissent from your view. I use both a filson briefcase for my papers and MBA, and my recently acquired filson duffle for the gym and my snowboarding weekend trips. My vanity exceeds my need for something light weight, plus i am exceptionally strong and muscular so i am happy to use the filson. For those other weaker/beta men out there, choosing filson may not be so practical or for lugging around big loads over a long period of time.

Last edited:

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

haha lawrence i do not dissent from your view. I use both a filson briefcase for my papers and MBA, and my recently acquired filson duffle for the gym and my snowboarding weekend trips. My vanity exceeds my need for something light weight, plus i am exceptionally strong and muscular so i am happy to use the filson. For those other weaker/beta men out there, choosing filson may not be so practical or for lugging around big loads over a long period of time.

On a trip last year to Peru I went with a dual pronged approach: for the bulk of my stuff I brought my Patagoina MLC bag (Maximum Legal Carry on Bag) and a Filson Zippered Tote for the rest.

I understand the 256/257/258 can be heavy, but I think the Zippered Tote is as practical/utilitarian as a travel bag can get.

Last edited:

sandecker

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for a carry on bag for one and two days travel. Is there any suggestion of what Filson bag to choose?
I have looked at Duffle bag small and it seems like a good choice, or?

Thanks!
-sandecker

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads