• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, even though I'm a proud owner of a 257, I must say that the bag probably will look like shite and ten times more worn than the bag you posted in aprox. 60 years.

raneym305

Reaction score

I'm sorry, even though I'm a proud owner of a 257, I must say that the bag probably will look like shite and ten times more worn than the bag you posted in aprox. 60 years.

Haha I wouldn't call it "worn", just well loved.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have this issue with their Sportsman bag, with the handles grazing against the sharp zippers?

4ac609f7-3e00-4590.jpg

It's going to eat away at it eventually.

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone know of another sale like the one off cable car a couple months ago?

I wanna get a small duffle and another zippered tote in brown.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have this issue with their Sportsman bag, with the handles grazing against the sharp zippers?
4ac609f7-3e00-4590.jpg

It's going to eat away at it eventually.

Mine is not. On the long zipper side of the top U zipper one side of the strap is clean, the other has just light marks. I use mine as a range bag and carry at least 150 rounds of 12 ga. in it which is ~10 lbs. of lead alone. I usually zip it back up when carrying between stations, but not always. I also treat the leather with Bick 4 which I got from a tack shop. Yours does look like it is getting chewed up pretty hard.

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! The Filson boot oil is the same solution they use to tan their leather. Applied the boot oil to the scuffed areas of the strap, let it dry overnight, and wiped off the excess. After repeating a few times, strap is good as new.

Use Filson boot oil on the roughed up spot on that strap and it'll pretty much disappear. While you're at it treat all the leather straps on the bag. It's bridle leather so it's a full aniline vegetable tanned leather. Don't waste your time with colored wax.

Last edited:

detonate

Reaction score

anyone know of another sale like the one off cable car a couple months ago?
I wanna get a small duffle and another zippered tote in brown.

I'm also looking out for Filson deals. I know HiltonsTent still has the 15% off but I'm waiting for Mother's Day. Maybe there will be better sales then. A bit selfish on mother's day but I'm in love with the 256.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm also looking out for Filson deals. I know HiltonsTent still has the 15% off but I'm waiting for Mother's Day. Maybe there will be better sales then. A bit selfish on mother's day but I'm in love with the 256.

Call the store, call the store, call the store. LOL! By now everyone should know the routine.

573-254-3311

RustyKnight

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post to Styleforum but I've been lurking for a bit now. I"m proud to say that I'm about to order my first Filson bag (25). I've read this entire thread (not a good thing) and now am having trouble deciding on a bag. There's a lot of excellent feedback here.

There are two needs that I"d like to fill, which is why I am having trouble:
--

Need 1:
Smaller commuter bag. I usually only carry a sunglass case, cellphone, wallet, the occasional light folders or iPad. But I also would use this as a carry on for flights, which means packing in an Kindle, 13" MBP, Bose QC2 headphone case, small moleskin, passport wallet, food and snacks, etc.
Because of this, I'm leaning towards the 257 but I've seen the 256 fit all of this pretty well. I just like the looks of the 257 organization, and the handle. I just wouldn't want it to be too big and awkward for when it becomes a daily commute bag again without a laptop and such in it. 258 seems too large for my need.

So it's between the 257 and the 256. Also considering a rucksack, but feel this could be too casual if I chose to use it in my future semi-formal workplace. Also thinking about Carry-On Small bag or Field Bag, but sling or handles are usually my style. All of these bags look amazing.

Need 2:
Larger travel hold-all/weekender: Looking for something to throw all of my clothes in with an extra pair of shoes or two, with dopp kit, and possibly some more stored food. I like the look of the duffles (heard the small is "too small") but would like to carry-on only. So I'm still leaning toward the small, because Need 2 will be purchased after Need 1 (already have a rolling carry-on).I like the look of the travel bag.

So this is between the Small Duffle, Medium Duffle, or Medium Travel bag.

I only ask here because right now I am living outside of the US (South Korea) and don't have access to a Filson store. Will only be able to fulfill 1 need right now, thinking need 1 takes priority.

Appreciate any of your help! I've heard a few people say so far that they've never understood why so-and-so carried around that hideous bag, but honestly, these Filson pieces are beautiful work.

Cheers

RustyKnight

Reaction score
Also, could use some color suggestions too. It may see some future use in a more business type setting --I love contrast of the tan, but seeing the brown and green (green faded too) it's a lot harder to pick a color than I thought.

I'm looking to pull the trigger in the next day or two here..

tomatic

Reaction score
following my waxing hint with the apolis briefcase i wanted to share another modification i did to a small field bag:
since i found the carabiner on the strap way oversized and annoying on the small bag i took a strap from the original briefcase (which is longer) and removed the rivets together with the carabiners. afterwards i wrapped the ends around the two hinges and fixed them with two replacement rivets. the strap is now long enough to carry it crossbody and in addition it feels somewhat safer if you can't quickly open the carabiners in unsafe areas.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
How many Filson owners wax their canvas briefcases and bags? The canvas seems pretty waterproof in its own right, at least enough for typical San Francisco rain, are there other benefits to wax that I'm missing?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How many Filson owners wax their canvas briefcases and bags? The canvas seems pretty waterproof in its own right, at least enough for typical San Francisco rain, are there other benefits to wax that I'm missing?

It's waxed from the factory so once the water starts penetrating it's time to wax it which is something I've been known to do. Be advised it's not a fast process.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics