• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea how I can remove some denim stains from my 256? :)

Stupid naked and famous is bleeding all over my bag.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just bought a tan zippered tote. maybe I should`ve gone for the brown. :fu:
Anyone in long sleeves and tie have tan bags?

Me -- tan zippered tote. :bigstar:

Mind you, a co-worker remarked, "that looks like the sort of bag a revolutionary would carry!" ... :rolleyes:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CI, flyfishing! Oh now we're talking. I got a few rods laying around. LOL. I tie my own as well. Flyfishing to me is like therapy. I really need to get back out to Wyoming.... for about a decade. You just might know this river... Better not let me around your archery range during gun season. 160 class is def an instant go shot. I have an itch to try and get myself one of those Pronghorns out in Wyoming or Montana with an unscoped Bisley Hunter in 45 Colt. I'll bring along the BAR in 270 just in case getting in range is impossible. I'll tell you what, the back of your truck could esily pass for mine. LOL. I've drug Filson gear all over the place for decades and to date haven't found anything better when afield. Again if the stuff can survive hardcore outdoorsman it'll pretty much just shrug off anything less.

Last edited:

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are products made for denim transfer but on canvas-type material it might be tough... there's a product called Vectra that my wife uses for denim transfer that worked some indigo out of her leather purses pretty well ... come to think of it the product might be for denim transfer protection rather than a cleanser

Last edited:

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll tell you what, the back of your truck could esily pass for mine. LOL. I've drug Filson gear all over the place for decades and to date haven't found anything better when afield.
Again if the stuff can survive hardcore outdoorsman it'll pretty much just shrug off anything less.

My father's an avid outdoorsman who hunts and fishes the northwest pretty intensely and makes a living in a related outdoorsman trade. Anyways, just to your point, he's been lugging all of the same equipment around for decades, but he sources it all from one place: Army surplus

He's probably saved hundreds if not thousands over the bigger retail brand names like Filson for equivalent gear in durability terms. I don't know much about the manufacturers of the Army gear but perhaps Filson is one of them...

Last edited:

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Me -- tan zippered tote. :bigstar:
Mind you, a co-worker remarked, "that looks like the sort of bag a revolutionary would carry!" ... :rolleyes:

ha! :rotflmao:
yeah I thought I`d keep the tan zippered tote. i`d probably add a small duffle in the same color. **** that brown small suffle + briefcase combo got me thinkin twice.

anyone got the wheeled carry on in tan?

Last edited:

poorman

Reaction score

ha! :rotflmao:
yeah I thought I`d keep the tan zippered tote. i`d probably add a small duffle in the same color. **** that brown small suffle + briefcase combo got me thinkin twice.

:)

motosacto

Reaction score

Yes. Flown >100,000 miles with it in the last 14 months. Works well. It's showing very little wear--just some leather scuffing and mild grey smudges on the fabric--they give it character. The only time I haven't flown with it since I got it at the end of 2010 was when I went to England in March. The mechanics of the handle take up a little bit of room in the bag and I carried on my Filson Pullman instead.

It is quite distinctive, though. If you want to cut a lower profile, one of the darker colors would be better -- the bag is still a Filson, but doesn't jump out quite as much from a distance.

motosacto

Reaction score
Quote:
I have the Pullman and the wheeled carry-on. I carried the Pullman to and through England for an 8 day trip in March, stuffed very full. The shoulder strap could be better--I lugged it all the way across Heathrow, through part of O'Hare, and through customers at Dulles. I wouldn't worry about exceeding maximum size--I haven't had anyone give me a second glance. The squishy nature of the bag makes getting it into standard (e.g., A320, 737, 757, 767) overhead bins no problem. Opening fully in half is great. The lack of wheels and a handle is the biggest disadvantage of the Pullman compared to my wheeled carry-on. When I don't have to push the carry-on limits, I take the wheeled bag...

motosacto

Reaction score
[...] a tan gun case says even at a distance Filson. But is almost impossible to keep clean as is the tan fly rod case. [...]

Why are you concerned about keeping the cases clean? If that's the primary concern, isn't nylon (say cordura or ballistic) a better solution?

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CI, flyfishing! Oh now we're talking. I got a few rods laying around. LOL. I tie my own as well. Flyfishing to me is like therapy. I really need to get back out to Wyoming.... for about a decade. You just might know this river...

Better not let me around your archery range during gun season. 160 class is def an instant go shot. I have an itch to try and get myself one of those Pronghorns out in Wyoming or Montana with an unscoped Bisley Hunter in 45 Colt. I'll bring along the BAR in 270 just in case getting in range is impossible.
I'll tell you what, the back of your truck could esily pass for mine. LOL. I've drug Filson gear all over the place for decades and to date haven't found anything better when afield.
Again if the stuff can survive hardcore outdoorsman it'll pretty much just shrug off anything less.

No I am not familiar with that place but it is beautiful!! Haven't done much in Wyoming but I have fly fished all over including the birthplace of FF, England.

Yeah I tie my own flies too. If you haven't bought hackle in awhile your in for a shock. The craze last couple of years for women to put feathers in their hair? Saddle hackles. Demand and price is through the roof. I have plenty of pheasant tail feathers for pt nymphs though:

4 of us Retired Navy guys get together in SD first couple of weeks in November. Pretty much limit out every day and it is a great time. Commander from Spearfish brought out antelope backstrap last year. We ended making one of the top 10 meals I've had in my life with bacon wrapped pheasant pheasant breast, rare lope done on the grill, wild rice casserole and pheasant pate on garlic bread. We all cook well but the Admiral especially so. The best meal I ever had in my life was at the Hyatt Regency in Hong Kong back in 79 on my way to the Iranian hostage situation. Worst in Mombasa Africa.

To get close enough for a shot at antelope with your pistol water holes would be your ticket. Nothing wrong with a 270 either!

Why are you concerned about keeping the cases clean? If that's the primary concern, isn't nylon (say cordura or ballistic) a better solution?
Because the fly rod and gun case both hang on my primary accent wall of my home when not in my vehicle. Right above my fine china hanging on they wall- painted plates of a bedded whitetail buck, a grouse and pheasant. They are the first thing people see when they walk in my house. Actually for fine china once my previous roommate of 25 years left I replaced all of her crappy stoneware with Mikasa white china. Yeah I have plenty of other cases. Like Crane's I have a lot of fly rods and have a 6" piece of PVC pipe with slots for the reels cut out and it can hold half a dozen rods. But talk about lacking style.... I also have a 3 gun ballistic cloth case made by a lady in Iowa for the US Olympic shooting team. Eventually I would like to purchase several Filson rod and gun cases to replace all the others. Those I would not mind getting dirty so much.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CI, that's the Snake River near Mt Moran. When I was out at Yellowstone Park I made it a point to fish the Yellowstone River and Lake and on my way back I hit the Laramie River as well. If the Winters weren't so obnoxious I would be living around Cody somewhere. What a lot of people don't know is Southern MO has some really good cold water flyfishing. It's one of our best kept secrets. LOL. Personally I have no preference for what waters I fish as long as there is something to catch. One of my favorite fish is the little old Bluegill. On a zero weight Sage it's just a ball catching them. They love hoppers ants and mosquitos and will eat them when they decide to be persnickety.

I'm glad I have a good supply of hackle and don't need to buy any for a while. I really don't want to know what it costs these days, If it's anything like gas all I'll do is get POed. I've been out to SD for pheasants and prairie dog blasting more than a few times. I usually haunt the Mission area and have been going to one ranch for about 35 years now. Always a good time.

The hellwithit. I'm going back to Wyoming in the Fall.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CI, that's the Snake River near Mt Moran. When I was out at Yellowstone Park I made it a point to fish the Yellowstone River and Lake and on my way back I hit the Laramie River as well. If the Winters weren't so obnoxious I would be living around Cody somewhere. What a lot of people don't know is Southern MO has some really good cold water flyfishing. It's one of our best kept secrets. LOL. Personally I have no preference for what waters I fish as long as there is something to catch. One of my favorite fish is the little old Bluegill. On a zero weight Sage it's just a ball catching them. They love hoppers ants and mosquitos and will eat them when they decide to be persnickety.
I'm glad I have a good supply of hackle and don't need to buy any for a while. I really don't want to know what it costs these days, If it's anything like gas all I'll do is get POed. I've been out to SD for pheasants and prairie dog blasting more than a few times. I usually haunt the Mission area and have been going to one ranch for about 35 years now. Always a good time.
The hellwithit. I'm going back to Wyoming in the Fall.

SE Idaho, upper portion of the North Fork (aka the Henry's Fork) of the Snake... outstanding world famous fly fishing in that area... I've been myself plenty of times. For more secluded ventures I prefer the Salmon river near the MT/ID border ... lots of potential monsters lurking in those canyons - if you don't mind a hell of a hike

Salmonrivermapfinal.jpg

I once yanked a 5lb bull trout out of the Panther Cr .... had to throw him back.. the poor ol' fella was 'threatened' or 'endangered' or whatever

Last edited:

raneym305

Reaction score

That's not a bug but a feature.

I can't wait to will a bag that looks like this to one of my grandsons once I'm dead and gone.

PS, I'm only 25 now and my 256 is only a few months old, so I still have alot of years of use to get out of my briefcase.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads