• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

still looks like a cheapo bag, 99$ well wasted. it is worth it to pay 10x the price for a decent bag. you might be proud that you spent $99 for a cheap bag, however people with good taste wouldn't even carry that bag if it was given to them for free.

What makes you think a Filson bag is cheap? Define decent while you're at it. If you really want to see what a Filson bag is all about I got a great idea. You get your "decent" leather bag and I'll grab a Filson bag and let's do a torture test out in the field. That means outside no matter what the weather. Just for snicks let's make the location Thailand during the monsoons or maybe Alaska for the flyfishing season. I'll be willing to wager that your "decent' leather bag won't survive the ordeal. People who buy Filson stuff understand the fact that these bags were designed to survive harsh nasty environments while keeping what's inside dry and protected. That's why they buy them. It's called smart money.

Oh and another thing. There are all kinds of people right here on this board and out in the wild with far better tastes than you'll ever attain who use Filson briefcases on a daily basis.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This just doesn't sit well with me at all. First off cotton is cold period. At least when it's waxed it provides some measure of protection from wind and moisture. As far as being stiff is concerned it sounds more like a break in problem. Yeah it's stiff when new and cold but loosens up with use. It took 2 years for my packer to loosen up and I wore that coat on job sites and afield nearly everyday in the Winters. Sweating while afield is a temperature control problem that's typically caused by poor base and middle layer choices than anything else. You add and remove layers as needed to control sweating. Plain and simply you took an outer garment that was specifically designed to protect you from thorns and more importantly the elements. Then you decide to remove the component of the garment that could keep you alive for what reason again? Oh I could go on but but I'll stop. One question though. If all you wanted was basically duck briar pants why didn't you buy that from another outfitter instead of screwing up a Filson product?

I don’t have much sympathy for someone that jacks up their rig with a 6” lift then doesn’t understand why the manufacture will not cover thousands of dollars in repairs for drive train damage. If you make mods then it is implied that you eat the cost if something goes wrong down the road. I’ve been meaning to PM you about the raptor half soles you put on your LTD Wolverine boots. Last fall I picked up a pair of AE walnut shell Dalton boots and had my first pair of half soles put on, standard Vibram half soles. They don’t help much with traction because they are hard rubber and still slippery on marble and tile, which is where I spent most of my work day. Searching around last fall it looks like the Vibram Raptor would work well for me but can’t find any real life experience after they are installed. Couple of months ago I stumbled across one of your posts where you had the Raptor installed. Off topic of this thread but your thoughts on the Raptor if you don’t mind? You do know that because Wolverine doesn’t have a contract with Horween for shell AE made the LTD? And putting half soles or sole protectors voids the warranty according to AE…. But some of us will do what it takes to make an OEM product functional like you did. If done smartly risk assessment is the first step.

I’m talking hunting for the king of the uplands, the ruffled grouse 0-60 in 1.5 seconds. According to the GPS I walk at least 8 miles a day grouse hunting, I'm not out just walking the dog. Grouse live in thickets where there is food and cover and the cover is normally the type that tears at flesh and clothes. Olympic NF and North Cascades in Wa. State is primarily fir trees, so not so much. Or Northern Mn. where aspen dominates not quite as bad either. But Western NC and Northern Appalachians northward including traditional New England coverts very much so. Mid to South Mn. and Wisconsin are as my friends from the West say “lousy with chlorophyll” too. 20-30 years ago not many options were available. Carharts only last a couple of weeks before being shreded. Filson was the best compromise due to ability to turn thorns.

Yes I am talking well broken in waxed clothing being stiff in the cold. I specifically said teens to twentys below zero. Although below zero it gets pretty damn stiff too. So does all waxed cotton that I have ever been around including my grandfathers ~100 year old DuxBak.

I’m very familiar with moisture management, you have to be when your miles from another human in the late fall and winter. Waxed clothing does not allow moisture or heat to escape which is why they are hot during physical exertion. Upland Journal is a BBS where many upland hunters hang out, here is a search using the keywoods Filson and hot for that site. And almost 500 hits on a site that is archived regularly so guess I'm not the only one:
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...&ie=UTF-8&q=filson+hot+site:uplandjournal.com

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CI, You understand the implications of mods and so do I. As you pointed out a good chunk of people out there just don't get it. As a Filson dealer I'm basically obligated to point out the don't do that or good luck with a warranty thing. It's not like we're having a fireside chat amongst outdoorsman. This board gets millions of hits a month. Anyway..... An upland bird guy you say. I'm a big game hunter with a handgun. From what you say we share many things in common including the need for clothing that holds together in the nasty stuff. Yeah waxed tincloth can get hot but I heavily rely on the waterproofing to keep me dry as well. Most of the time I hunt when the weather is going down the toilet and around here it can be 10 below in the morning and then you get nailed with thunderstorms in the afternoon and 35 degrees. Get soaked in that and a one mile hike to shelter might not be possible, never mind if it's 8 or ten miles. But then again a good outdooorsman is prepped for that. I have managed to work out a system that seems to work well with Filson waxed tincloth. What I'm finding out is you have to be way ahead of the game. By that I mean you strip layers long before you begin to feel the heat. Best way to describe it is you always feel a little bit cool all the time. Def not cold though. Of course there is a point where you exert so much energy you could be naked and still roast. LOL. Yep I know the 721s are made by AE. I've talked to Wolverine about recrafting services and they said they don't do it and just go have my favorite cobbler resole them. BTW I had my Original 1Ks resoled with the Raptor front plate with a lugged heel instead of the Raptor heel. It was more important to me to have a heel that didn't clog with mud or snow. The Raptor is excellent on wet snow and ice. It seems to bite good and it appears the sole is made from anti skid material. On wet tile it seems to do OK as well. Yeah you can slip but you don't have to do that flat foot slip shuffle to stay on your feet. One thing to keep in mind is they clog with mud almost instantly and it's a royal pain to get it out of those little random cleats. Enough talking let's go huntin'...

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
My set of Filson bags is nearing completion. I decided on getting a variety of bags in Otter Green (which is way underrated, goes with everything) , and I've slowly accumulated them on ebay by "buying it now" from people who under-price the used bags.

Own:

small duffle
medium duffle
large travel bag
outfitter bag
original briefcase

Want:

garment bag
sportsman bag (or something else for a camera)
gun tote (I'm thinking about getting my first rifle)

I'm hoping to use them forever and eventually pass them down. I may sell a couple off too if I don't use them. Anyone else put together a large set of bags in the same color? The resale value makes them one of the less risky luxuries for a rustic type.

Last edited:

raneym305

Reaction score
still looks like a cheapo bag, 99$ well wasted. it is worth it to pay 10x the price for a decent bag. you might be proud that you spent $99 for a cheap bag, however people with good taste wouldn't even carry that bag if it was given to them for free.

I'll go ahead and let you be That Guy who's gear is ruined when his precious $1000 "decent" bag goes over the side of the boat while fishing, or is in the back of a truck that you've just walked a mile away from when it gets caught in a rain storm.

Seriously, If you are not a fan of Filson bags, get off this thread. As far as I've seen, nobody here holds your opinion to a very high standard any way.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crane's thank you so much for your input, it is greatly appreciated! And I understand everything you said. Yeah I have a 60 yard archery range in my side yard with 160+ class bucks walking through it LOL. And on 4th year of preference points for elk and mulie in Co. But have come to love watching the dog work more than anything else.

At sunrise was using the 4 wt. on a limestone creek having fun with some browns and rainbows. About 10 it got up to 41 air temp so took the jacket off but kept the Seattle weight vest liner on. Perfect day and the Filson jacket and liner were also perfect. Took this picture of the back of the rig after I threw the jacket in:

About $1400 worth of Filson not counting what is in them. Fished for a bit more and kept 2 medium sized bows, built a small fire and wrapped them in aluminum foil and cooked them for lunch. Then headed over to the sportsman and conservation club to shoot a couple of rounds of Sporting Clays with my Custom Joel Etchen Gold E in prepration of a shoot down in Nebraska next weekend. On call this week (electronic leash) so have to carry my laptop everywhere I go just in case.

Some people will never understand Filson no matter what. Or know what a 44 lb. King feels like on an 8wt. and 10 lb. tippet. Their loss. Keep 'em in the X ring....

Last edited:

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. Nice collection. I'm rocking the otter green on the original briefcase, small duffle, and suit cover (not garment bag).

My set of Filson bags is nearing completion. I decided on getting a variety of bags in Otter Green (which is way underrated, goes with everything) , and I've slowly accumulated them on ebay by "buying it now" from people who under-price the used bags.
Own:
small duffle
medium duffle
large travel bag
outfitter bag
original briefcase
Want:
garment bag
I'm hoping to use them forever and eventually pass them down. I may sell a couple off too if I don't use them. Anyone else put together a large set of bags in the same color? The resale value makes them one of the less risky luxuries for a rustic type.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Own:
small duffle
medium duffle
large travel bag
outfitter bag
original briefcase
Want:
garment bag
Being retired Navy the green reminds me too much of the big green weenie, the Army
smile.gif
Seriously though no offense to those that served in the Army.

Nice collection. I like brown but your limited in selection with that color. I went with tan for the fly rod case and gun case (unscoped) because green is the common color of Boyt and several other gun case manufactures, so a tan gun case says even at a distance Filson. But is almost impossible to keep clean as is the tan fly rod case. Where I can't get brown I get green for that reason. For what it's worth I purchased a sportsman bag from a member on here that he was selling because he felt it was too large for a camera case and wanted a small duffle instead. The sportsman bag is the perfect size for a range bag so it may be a bit large for a camera bag. If you start shooting I highly recommend the sportsman bag however.

What are your thoughts on the large travel bag if you don't mind me asking? I keep thinking my next bag will be the classic Pullman but I keep looking at the large travel bag instead. There are not a lot of reviews on the Filson site for it.

raneym305

Reaction score
Quote:
If you don't mind me adding input here-

I've been trying to tackle the same issue: Large Carry On vs. Pullman vs. Large Travel Bag. I went to the filson store and picked the brains of just about everybody in there. It was pretty unanymous that the Pullman is the way to go.

First of all, being able to fully open the Large Carry On and Pullman completely knocked the Large Travel Bag out of the competition.

The exterior pockets of the Pullman are more easily accessible than the Large Carry On. It has a more box-like design, like a traditional suitcase, which makes it easier for packing. Also it has duel handle straps that come from the front and back of the bag, which creates a more even weight distribution when you carry it by its handles.

As far as anyone in the store could tell, there were only two downsides to the Pullman:
#1. The rings for the shoulder straps are on the back side (same as the Large Carry On), so when it is heavily packed, it's awkard to carry by shoulder strap unless you are carrying it on the opposite shoulder (if the bag is on your right side, cross the strap over to your left shoulder).
#2. The bag is designed to to take full advantage of Carry On size limits; so if you've stuff the bag so big that it's bulging, it will probably exceed the maximum size allowed to carry on and will have to be transported as a check in bag.

I'm leaning toward the Pullman. The restrictiveness of the Travel Bag was a deal breaker. The Large Carry On bag kind of looks like an oversized man purse to me, and seems a bit awkward to maneuver. Plus, the Pullman is less expensive than the Carry On and is, in my opinion, it's the best bang for your buck!

Last edited:

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score

What are your thoughts on the large travel bag if you don't mind me asking?

I'd go with the Pullman. The large travel is my least favorite bag. (I like the medium travel bag though.) I just got a really good deal on this large one. It's wide, which makes it much harder to carry by the handle because it rubs against your leg. Since it's big and likely to be heavy when used, the shoulder strap is kind of uncomfortable. The Pullman is more elongated. I bought a new one a couple years back, but quickly flipped it.

Last edited:

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind me adding input here-

I've been trying to tackle the same issue: Large Carry On vs. Pullman vs. Large Travel Bag. I went to the filson store and picked the brains of just about everybody in there. It was pretty unanymous that the Pullman is the way to go.

I for one do not mind your input and find it extremely helpful. Yes I was also considering the Large Carry On at one time so we can't be the only the two people in the world to be evaluating these 3 bags. I was able to rule out the Carry On but torn on the Travel Bag yet. After your critical and thorough evaluation not any more. Another thing I was considering was for short trips I could put another suit in the Pullman and skip carrying a garment bag. Thank You!

I'd go with the Pullman. The large travel is my least favorite bag. (I like the medium travel bag though.) I just got a really good deal on this large one. It's wide, which makes it much harder to carry by the handle because it rubs against your leg. Since it's big and likely to be heavy when used, the shoulder strap is kind of uncomfortable. The Pullman is more elongated. I bought a new one a couple years back, but quickly flipped it.

Thanks! I do believe there is an Otter Green Pullman in my future...
smile.gif

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I recently purchased the red label tote bag.

The handles seem to be messed up already and keep shedding leather particles all over my clothes....

Is this normal or is there a defect in the handles?

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi guys, I recently purchased the red label tote bag.
The handles seem to be messed up already and keep shedding leather particles all over my clothes....
Is this normal or is there a defect in the handles?

^this happens with the underside of the leather handles often. its just the raw leather shedding. it'll eventually stop (after a week of use) and start to smooth out.

if the shedding is coming from the finished outside part - then you should complain about a defect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads