• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

milw50717

Reaction score

Someone on the Acela slammed my strap repeatedly when closing the overhead bin 
baldy%5B1%5D.gif
. Any tips? Anyone suggest a good polish? 

Tough break. Sad to say, but anything that goes in the overheads is usually going to get a battering at some point.

Maybe some Obenaufs LP if you have some as that may darken the leather down a bit ??

There are going to be leather dyes that could be used. I'd use a lighter shade and build up in many applications to try to match the rest of the strap. Never done such things myself as always scared the dye or polish rubs off onto clothing.

Last edited:

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
damn, all this trouble over a cheap looking, but decently designed, canvas bag? just drop the filson and get a leather bag instead, it is more durable, and it doesn't look cheap like canvas does, and when leather get a patina it looks nice, when canvas gets a patina you know it is dirt stains smudged with moldy wax that makes your bag looks like it needs to be washed.
I can buy 3 Filson padded laptop cases for the price of a leather bag. And the Filson says despite wearing a suit and looking better than most of those around me I'm still a woodchuck at heart. Can't really see throwing a leather bag in the rig and driving through moose **** down two tracks a couple of months a year either. If you don't know what SSS means when a wolf shows interest in your dog while bird hunting you likely will never understand.

The duffle shrank around 10%. Not as much as I hoped for and it's still a little large for carry-on but I think I could easily get away with it. The duffle looks even better after a wash, looks as if I've been using it for a few months at least. Interestingly, the bag did not change color at all, not even the slightest, which leads me to believe, exactly how much wax is impregnated into the twill canvas, if at all? I coated the underside of the flap with a little wax and the whole thing changed color. So what exactly did Filson put into their canvas?
As you can see, the handles aren't attached to my bag. I've cut them off to shorten them. I'll reattach them once I buy some rivets.

Good job. Like I said the only way to get the wax out is dry cleaning. 20-30 years ago before they came out with dry cloth everyone I know myself included dry cleaned our Filson hunting britches so we didn't sweat to death in them. And at teens and twenty's below zero they get stiff as hell with that wax treatment. And cold to boot. Make sure you treat that leather with conditioner now.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The duffle shrank around 10%. Not as much as I hoped for and it's still a little large for carry-on but I think I could easily get away with it. The duffle looks even better after a wash, looks as if I've been using it for a few months at least. Interestingly, the bag did not change color at all, not even the slightest, which leads me to believe, exactly how much wax is impregnated into the twill canvas, if at all? I coated the underside of the flap with a little wax and the whole thing changed color. So what exactly did Filson put into their canvas?
As you can see, the handles aren't attached to my bag. I've cut them off to shorten them. I'll reattach them once I buy some rivets.

I've carried my medium duffle pretty filled up on Ryan Air as well as Wizz Air and Easy Jet. If it works for these airlines, it's gonna work for every domestic flight.

In my opinion, since you already have feelings toward the zippers, you might find some annoyance with the bag. I know I do but its not like its impossible to get stuff in and out.

i am really considering getting a small or medium duffle but i hate straight zippers on duffle bags. I find U shaped zippers to be much easier to use.
Anyone else have issues when getting things in and out of the bag?

Yeah I don't have an issue although the zippers are kinda sharp. Sometimes I might have an issue putting in a box or something but nothing major

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The colour change AKA patina AKA dirt AKA wabi-sabi with tan is one of the reasons I prefer the green bags. They should age a bit better showing less dirt AKA character AKA ....

I just bought a tan zippered tote. maybe I should`ve gone for the brown. :fu:

Anyone in long sleeves and tie have tan bags?

Last edited:

poorman

Reaction score

I've carried my medium duffle pretty filled up on Ryan Air as well as Wizz Air and Easy Jet. If it works for these airlines, it's gonna work for every domestic flight.
Yeah I don't have an issue although the zippers are kinda sharp. Sometimes I might have an issue putting in a box or something but nothing major

Carry-on or "personal item?"

I wanted the Medium bag but that risked having to pay a carry on fee. :embar:
The Small I ended up with fit enough under the seat to be free. haha.

+1 the zippers are sharp! I like the little pockets on the sides, though I wish it had snaps or something.

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Carry-on or "personal item?"
I wanted the Medium bag but that risked having to pay a carry on fee. :embar:
The Small I ended up with fit enough under the seat to be free. haha.
+1 the zippers are sharp! I like the little pockets on the sides, though I wish it had snaps or something.

Mostly as my carry-on. I usually have my backpack with my laptop and camera and the duffle. I'd say your main risk is the bag not fitting in the overhead compartment. But given it's a duffle it's not hard to make it fit.

Sometimes if it's slightly longer trip or I have to bring stuff for others I might also have a tote.

Last edited:

detonate

Reaction score
Anyone know whether the Filson Field Bag Medium fits a 14" laptop? I haven't seen it in person and I know there's a rounded opening that cuts off an inch or so.

My laptop is 13.5" wide. I carry it rarely but I would like to be able to slip in my laptop when its needed.

Appreciate the help.

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Though break, indeed. I saw this about to happen, jumped out of my seat, but was unable to stop it. Thanks for the suggestion. I might just leave it as is, particularly because, as you point out, whatever treatment I use will likely rub off on my shoulder.

Tough break. Sad to say, but anything that goes in the overheads is usually going to get a battering at some point.
Maybe some Obenaufs LP if you have some as that may darken the leather down a bit ??
There are going to be leather dyes that could be used. I'd use a lighter shade and build up in many applications to try to match the rest of the strap. Never done such things myself as always scared the dye or polish rubs off onto clothing.

raneym305

Reaction score
I just bought a tan zippered tote. maybe I should`ve gone for the brown.
ffffuuuu.gif

Anyone in long sleeves and tie have tan bags?

I wear a suit and tie every day and work in sales, so I bring my tan briefcase with me everywhere; whether I'm cold calling or making a sales pitch. I get compliments from about 80% of the people I talk to... Then again, I live and work in Seattle where (I would assume) Filson is more well known and well received than anywhere else.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can get a shoulder strap from Filson.

Use Filson boot oil on the roughed up spot on that strap and it'll pretty much disappear. While you're at it treat all the leather straps on the bag. It's bridle leather so it's a full aniline vegetable tanned leather. Don't waste your time with colored wax.

Unlike a few others I'm not going to give any kudos to someone who purposely disregards the care instructions provided by Filson and does a DIY mod to boot. Just for snicks what if the zipper just decides to self destruct? Do you really think you would be entitled to a new bag? I would guess they would probably do it but all that would do is move them one step closer to a restrictive limited warranty.

Again some of the latest advice on this thread is just plain and simply stupid.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good job. Like I said the only way to get the wax out is dry cleaning. 20-30 years ago before they came out with dry cloth everyone I know myself included dry cleaned our Filson hunting britches so we didn't sweat to death in them. And at teens and twenty's below zero they get stiff as hell with that wax treatment. And cold to boot. Make sure you treat that leather with conditioner now.

This just doesn't sit well with me at all. First off cotton is cold period. At least when it's waxed it provides some measure of protection from wind and moisture. As far as being stiff is concerned it sounds more like a break in problem. Yeah it's stiff when new and cold but loosens up with use. It took 2 years for my packer to loosen up and I wore that coat on job sites and afield nearly everyday in the Winters. Sweating while afield is a temperature control problem that's typically caused by poor base and middle layer choices than anything else. You add and remove layers as needed to control sweating. Plain and simply you took an outer garment that was specifically designed to protect you from thorns and more importantly the elements. Then you decide to remove the component of the garment that could keep you alive for what reason again? Oh I could go on but but I'll stop. One question though. If all you wanted was basically duck briar pants why didn't you buy that from another outfitter instead of screwing up a Filson product?

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I picked up a small Tin Cloth duflel at the flagship store for $99 a couple of weeks ago and I love it! I've hauled it in a rain storm in the back of truck, dropped it in the mud, and (for a brief moment) dipped half of it in the lake... it slipped out of my hands, but I caught it before the whole bag was submerged. All the while, my clothes have stayed completely dry and the bag was dried off in no time.

I put a fresh coat of wax on it the day I bought it. The sales rep at the store said it wasn't needed, bnut I can 't think that it hurt the bag any.

For the hell I've put this bag through in less than a month, it was well worth the $99 spent!!!'

Packed with my Original Briefcase for a 5 day trip to Portland, OR.

still looks like a cheapo bag, 99$ well wasted. it is worth it to pay 10x the price for a decent bag. you might be proud that you spent $99 for a cheap bag, however people with good taste wouldn't even carry that bag if it was given to them for free.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bet you just noticed that his shoes aren't black.

gnu

Reaction score

still looks like a cheapo bag, 99$ well wasted. it is worth it to pay 10x the price for a decent bag. you might be proud that you spent $99 for a cheap bag, however people with good taste wouldn't even carry that bag if it was given to them for free.

I dont understand why you jump on this thread just to criticize Filson. If you think they're cheap and you have better taste, then there are threads here that you would be better suited on. These bags are not meant to be fashion statements, they're meant to work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads