• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lets make a thread to use to compare the different Filson Bags in their different colors. This way you don't have to do multiple google searches to see whats up and compare. SO PLEASE PUT PICTURES UP OF YOUR FILSON BAGS SO WE CAN SEE THE COLORS/MODELS/POTENTIAL PATINA AND WEAR. THANKS! My dad uses filson bags for lugging around fishing gear. Honestly before I joined styleforum I didn't even know filson made other bags for anything else except for hunting outdoorsman activities. I used to wonder why he'd spend money on those "ugly green tote bags"... lol Thanks to Styleforum now I know that Filson even makes briefcases and travel bags so I ended up buying a 257 large briefcase in brown. Honestly this bag is large enough to travel with (can fit your travel crap and a change of clothes with a laptop). I'll probably end up getting another filson, the 256, to use as an everyday briefcase.
3821595546_cb8bf50d1f.jpg
3820791173_b850e89227.jpg
Natural light brown: notice how the brown is a little monotone with the leather. I like this for a travel bag... but I'll probably end up getting the tan (which has a nice contrast with the leather) for a regular 256 briefcase for regular work use.
3821609340_d16c908aeb.jpg
3820785721_73dd090885.jpg
3821591972_5de3d76a37.jpg
The inside has 3 flaps for organizing with lots of small pockets (some "pockets" actually are hollow through to the bottom). Here there is a macbook (13" computer) bare, with a thick laptop sleeve, and with a huge 7lbs book. I figure the book would represent a change of clothes, dopp kit, and some shoes.
3820794109_efca571c60.jpg
3821605780_feb3e60134.jpg
3821608032_e7c8570093.jpg
take note: the macbook with thick sleeve was actually a tight fit. I would use a sleeve with a computer because the huge/robust brass teeth of the zipper would be a scratch danger. Inside the bag they actually include a small padlock engraved with filson logo. Nice touch.
3820783773_3cbb26a64f.jpg
After sifting through so many of the threads about filson bags (i.e. which one should i get 256 or 257) I recommend the 257 for those who are going to use it to lug a larger computer (anything bigger than 13"). Also those who plan to bring a lot of stuff: papers/large books/tons of photo lenses ect. This is also a great bag for traveling (and for lugging around a change of clothes. For those who plan to use it as a simple briefcase/day bag and don't want the option of hauling more stuff stick with the 256. Hopefully the brown will wear in well and look even better (like those old green filsons which aren't so "ugly" to me anymore).

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
here's a post a saw of the 257 in tan: thanks to sf member milosh for the original pics from the post.
Originally Posted by milosh
My 257 arrived yesterday and it's great. It looks great and is definitely the right size. I snapped a few pictures today:
_DSC6047.jpg
_DSC6051.jpg
_DSC6058.jpg

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SFEND002

Reaction score
I really don't understand why these are so well liked. I mean its just a canvas bag, and for that matter, one I would not be seen carrying while in a suit on the way to work. It may be good afield but otherwise not that impressive really.

Joe Cool

Reaction score
I really don't understand why these are so well liked. I mean its just a canvas bag, and for that matter, one I would not be seen carrying while in a suit on the way to work. It may be good afield but otherwise not that impressive really.
What does it take to be impressive? LV logos plastered all over and a $1,200 price tag?

Filson has been making top of the line waxed canvas & leather goods for over 100 years and are counted among the treasured possessions of presidents, scholars and captains of industry along with thousands of other discerning men and women in every walk of life.

I guess you must know something they don't.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i get that you dont really care. i used to feel the same exact way whenever my dad would buy one of these bags for his fishing gear. but the more you look around its increasingly difficult to find simple bags made of canvas that are this robust (the last decades long - kind of robust) And carry lifetime warranty. sure there are jack spade bags amongst others canvas bags, but they fall into a more trendy type of subset where its more style than substance. often the other brands will be even more expensive. here you have bags that owners will often times rather repair than have replaced by the filson warranty.
Originally Posted by SFEND002

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
The best part about Filson bags is that they're "just canvas bags."

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice pics Lawrence, better than the Crane's and Filson's websites. Now I'm more inclined to buy one.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Great pics, Lawrence. I'm hoping someone could post pics of their totes and cabin bags too.

insideman

Reaction score
I bought a 258 a few months ago in Tan. My raw denim has really run on the inner side that I carry, but I actually think it gives the bag character. I'll take pics when I get the chance

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I order the Apolis x Filson bag a while back. I should be getting it pretty soon. I'll post some pics when I get it. This is the stock photo :
APOLIS-ACTIVISM+FILSON-AW09-736262-705383.gif

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could someone post pics (not stock photos) of either a tote or a duffel bag?

it seems that the only filsons i see around town are the 257 (which seem to be everywhere)

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Warren G.
I order the Apolis x Filson bag a while back. I should be getting it pretty soon. I'll post some pics when I get it.

This is the stock photo :

APOLIS-ACTIVISM+FILSON-AW09-736262-705383.gif

That bag is hot ****.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC4President
Could someone post pics (not stock photos) of either a tote or a duffel bag? it seems that the only filsons i see around town are the 257 (which seem to be everywhere)
here's a post i found with the pullman model as well as the ubiquitous 257 in tan. thanks to Fiddy for the pics from the original post. The pullman looks like a great travel bag.
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Ordered the Pullman and 257 from Crane's last week. Both bags arrived today, very happy with both of them...
filson-bags.jpg
A few shots of the 257...
257-2.jpg
257-1.jpg
Shown with 15" MBP...
257-3.jpg
257-4.jpg
And the Pullman...
pullman-1.jpg
pullman-3.jpg
pullman-2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads