• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No idea on the meaning of the “tour” locations on the T-shirt. Completely agree with you on the modern day Bedrock Filson and the “details.”

Here are screenshots from another Filson email. This email is touting the small duffle bag and even states “details matter.” Yet the first picture and another picture are clearly the medium duffle bag. Guess details do not really matter that much. The marketing team does not even know their products.

Good catch WJR!! I didn't even notice that at first. Reminds me of when Filson made that oopsie in the catalog with the weight of the Twill stating it was 18oz instead of 22oz.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well hello @OtterMeanGreen - been a while! Thanks for the tag and reminder to poke my head in here. It's been a busy time of late with work and kids. And with working from home my Filson opportunities have been fewer.

Interestingly too, the UK Filson store closed early in the pandemic, and the EU Filson site offers little discounting or sales, so my purchasing has all been secondary market. I recently flipped a 266 sportsman in brown for good margin, but figured with an outfitter, pullman, rolling duffle, medium carryon, plus the smaller day bags, I didn't really need the 266 as well!
Also, as I suspect is the case for many of us on here, there is a lot of traffic on the Filson FB group - but it lacks the nuance and community that has been so good here over the years. There is a lot of commentary on overseas outsourcing, quality etc, which gets a bit dull when repeated - along with the 'how much is this worth' and 'what's a 256/7/8'. I'm so cynical :)

All that said, glad to scroll back a number of pages here and see that there's some activity and some new members.

I won't get into the recent watch discussion except to say that my 2 lovely rolexes sit in their boxes (a '69 datejust and and 2008 sub) while my apple watch gets used daily!
Hey fellas. I'll second the comment that it's good to see this forum alive again.

Agree with Speedy that the FB group is active, but feels a lot like 5 years ago here. Basic questions abound. I think the nature of FB vs. this more selective corner of the internet is to blame.

I've been traveling less - like most of us. Currently in Boulder, CO with my 48 hour bag - good to dust it off and add some patina to this fan favorite.

Hope you're all doing well.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas. I'll second the comment that it's good to see this forum alive again.

Agree with Speedy that the FB group is active, but feels a lot like 5 years ago here. Basic questions abound. I think the nature of FB vs. this more selective corner of the internet is to blame.

I've been traveling less - like most of us. Currently in Boulder, CO with my 48 hour bag - good to dust it off and add some patina to this fan favorite.

Hope you're all doing well.

Just ordered my 2nd pair of LEMS, a small minimalist footwear company based out of Boulder, CO

B8DBDB8B-0637-4FCD-935F-E88F0FCA77CA.jpeg

<iframe title="vimeo-player" src="" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

theratpack

Reaction score
doubt I'll have any luck but can anybody suggest a stockist of the Filson limited edition Mackinaw Cruiser new stock in the Cobalt-Blue and Black check... looking for a size Medium or maybe Large

Attachments

• Filson-Mackinaw-Cruiser-Cobalt-Blue-Black-Front_1200x900.jpg
    Filson-Mackinaw-Cruiser-Cobalt-Blue-Black-Front_1200x900.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 35

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@mgrennier how about some good old fashioned Filson spotting to add to the new life this thread has again. Was watching the movie Greenberg with Ben Stiller and saw a very familiar luggage item, mine is sitting in front of my OLED as we speak, I find myself admiring it from time to time. The reality still hasn’t set in that I now own a Talon and Otter Green Pullman.

Somehow i missed this my first go-around.

2C718BD6-6FD6-4A80-BDED-43D5FF7E9CD3.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: WJR

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
doubt I'll have any luck but can anybody suggest a stockist of the Filson limited edition Mackinaw Cruiser new stock in the Cobalt-Blue and Black check... looking for a size Medium or maybe Large

That’s going to be hard to find brand new, but luckily these things are made to last a lifetime and are hard-wearing; so buying secondhand is a viable resource and one many of us here utilize. I can keep my eye out on eBay, that’s going to be your best bet, since you have buying protection and return possibilities. Best thing about wool, especially Virgin Mackinaw Wool, is that it is antibacterial and antimicrobial, so you can be confident that a NWOT or lightly worn Mack, is going to be just as good as NWT.

Other then that this was the only new one I could find in either requested size. This seller is legit, I’ve bought a number of new Filson items from him. As for the price, it is what it is. This isn’t actually a new color release from Filson, but a tribute to an older design. I bought a like-new 1990’s Mackinaw Cruiser similar to it several years ago for less than $200.

Couldn't find the photo of the Blue Plaid Mackinaw but I did find a screengrab of the receipt. Build Year was 1994

Filson Mackinaw 1994 - 3.png

Last edited:

theratpack

Reaction score
That’s going to be hard to find brand new, but luckily these things are made to last a lifetime and are hard-wearing; so buying secondhand is a viable resource and one many of us here utilize. I can keep my eye out on eBay, that’s going to be your best bet, since you have buying protection and return possibilities.

Other then that this was the only new one I could find in either requested size. This seller is legit, I’ve bought a number of new Filson items from him. As for the price, it is what it is. This isn’t actually a new color release from Filson, but a tribute to an older design. I bought a like-new 1990’s Mackinaw Cruiser just like it several years ago for less than $300.

thank you for that listing OtterMeanGreen... food for thought

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great choice. This is the one and only single Mack in my lineup and I love it. Favorite color they have done and the steel colored snaps / gold stitching are an exclamation point to an already great pattern. Can’t be of assistance with finding one, but the search is worthy of your time.

CCF1897

Reaction score
Great choice. This is the one and only single Mack in my lineup and I love it. Favorite color they have done and the steel colored snaps / gold stitching are an exclamation point to an already great pattern. Can’t be of assistance with finding one, but the search is worthy of your time.
Just like old times back on the forum this week! Great to see you posting content again OMG and the rest of us from back in the day! My lineup remains the same and gets heavy use during the fall and into the winter on my hunting trips to the north woods. My 264 small compartment case in tan still sees regular use as my sporting clays bag and the 264 in Otter is the electronics bag for the dogs. The 265 large compartment case is the first aid/pharmacy for the dogs. Both 266’s tan/otter get random weekend/golf change of clothes from time to time. The tan zip tote serves the same and hauls bottles well. The xl duffel and original duffel both in otter see use on long car or hunting trips exclusively. Still deciding what to do with my first edition journeyman which never gets used. The large zip camo tote usually is my day bag on the trips that stays in the truck and holds extras pairs of whatever in case things happen that shouldn’t in the woods. Still carry my 257 daily . I did pick up the last forest green wool packer in XL in North America this past fall from the Toronto store for an amazing deal. I had called and checked every store in the US and I think it was @TinMan3 that suggested I try them. They had one left and it was my size. So now I’ve got the forest in single, double and packer. I also have the 2019 release NWT that I’ve never worn so I’ll be selling that if anyone is looking. Not the best time while it’s 90 out! I did use the small field bag the other day as a ammo bag a sporting clay event and it worked great. That bag is early 2000’s and has amazing leather and patina. I haven’t thought about some of this stuff for a while it’s nice to sit here and try to recall what I’ve got. I missing a lot but that’s enough for now. Hope to hear from more of you on how the gear is holding up and what you are doing with it! Be well!

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
I should post some pics of my Filson gear--I've got more than I need, for sure, most of it from the mid-90s and not babied.

If anyone happens across a 264 tan small compartment case from the mid 90s or so with the original shoulder strap I might be interested. My original was stolen out of my truck--and yes it was full, including my custom call necklace and two early Taylor Talkers custom calls along with one of his prototype goose calls. Also nabbed in said heist was a Marley Hodgson-era Ghurka No 2 Express which I actually replaced. It was a painful incident...

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Okay, gents, I need your advice.

I'm looking for what I'd call a mid-size duffle, something I can use for weekend trips, and I'm having trouble deciding between the Small Twill and 48 Hour duffles.

I've looked at both, and I see pluses and minuses for each. Anyone have experience with them both?

I'm curious about how the fabrics compare, too. I have a couple of twill items - including a briefcase that just celebrated its 10th birthday - but no experience with the tin cloth. Anyone have an opinion on how it holds up/ages? Does it gain a great patina like the twill?

I've looked at the Sportsman, which is kind of a fun alternative, but I have a feeling I'd tire of the button-closure pockets.

Give me your thoughts!

CCF1897

Reaction score
Okay, gents, I need your advice.

I'm looking for what I'd call a mid-size duffle, something I can use for weekend trips, and I'm having trouble deciding between the Small Twill and 48 Hour duffles.

I've looked at both, and I see pluses and minuses for each. Anyone have experience with them both?

I'm curious about how the fabrics compare, too. I have a couple of twill items - including a briefcase that just celebrated its 10th birthday - but no experience with the tin cloth. Anyone have an opinion on how it holds up/ages? Does it gain a great patina like the twill?

I've looked at the Sportsman, which is kind of a fun alternative, but I have a feeling I'd tire of the button-closure pockets.

Give me your thoughts!
When you say sportsman sounds like you are looking at the sportsman heritage bag, have you looked at the sportsman utility bag? The Utility Sounds perfect for what you are looking for. The 48hr vs duffle has been debated on here many times. The win win would be the 48 in twill. The tin will patina nice but may look “dirty” to some. It’s all in the eye of the one holding it. Others may/will have other perspectives.

Reactions: WJR

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Love the avatar photo. Justified is one of my all time favorite shows.

As for the differences of Tin Cloth vs Rugged Twill, I have experience with both and have researched this topic at nauseam. It’s an unfair fight between the two; Rugged Twill has been around in luggage form for 30 years and many items are still being used to this day. Rugged Twill arguably will patina much more gracefully over time as it’s harder wearing and the dyes are impregnated deeper in the fabric.

Filson Tin Cloth luggage pieces still have yet to win me over, at least the ones made entirely from it, the Journeyman being the exception. However when it comes to Tin Cloth garment items, you really can’t ask for more in terms of durability and longevity. Time still has yet to reveal the longevity of a single Tin Cloth luggage item, as it relates to that of Rugged Twill.

I found some examples of how it will age and patina. As @CCF1897 has eluded to, it tends to lean towards the dirty side of patina.

Otter Green

88FD0F33-280D-4DD9-84AA-1E60A71D722A.jpeg

Navy, which isn’t half bad with the contrasting Rugged Twill.

1E48BE3F-18D7-47A3-877A-0AF0BB61D5C5.jpeg

Tan, which unlike its Rugged Twill cousin, leans towards dirty and not the classic patina the color is beloved for.

0A1E0954-FC6F-404A-8216-C5DA67F7FB7A.jpeg

Now for the most unlikely Tin Cloth color that improves with age and will patina the best out of them all, black. That almost sounds sacrilegious to say, but as you can see, the white will start to show through like the weft on a pair of well worn Raw Denim. Since black is one of the least popular colors in the Filson catalogue, this will have to do.

724B9417-F29B-4C59-866C-9C293E5CDFD1.jpeg

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, for the thoughts, guys!
When you say sportsman sounds like you are looking at the sportsman heritage bag, have you looked at the sportsman utility bag? The Utility Sounds perfect for what you are looking for. The 48hr vs duffle has been debated on here many times. The win win would be the 48 in twill. The tin will patina nice but may look “dirty” to some. It’s all in the eye of the one holding it. Others may/will have other perspectives.
Yup. That's the one I'm talking about - the Heritage. You're right about the Utility. I didn't know about that one, but it would be just about perfect. Unfortunately, it's discontinued, and I can't find old stock anywhere.

Agreed about the 48 Hour in twill. That would be The One for me if it existed.

As for the differences of Tin Cloth vs Rugged Twill, I have experience with both and have researched this topic at nauseam. It’s an unfair fight between the two; Rugged Twill has been around in luggage form for 30 years and many items are still being used to this day. Rugged Twill arguably will patina much more gracefully over time as it’s harder wearing and the dyes are impregnated deeper in the fabric.

Filson Tin Cloth luggage pieces still have yet to win me over, at least the ones made entirely from it, the Journeyman being the exception. However when it comes to Tin Cloth garment items, you really can’t ask for more in terms of durability and longevity. Time still has yet to reveal the longevity of a single Tin Cloth luggage item, as it relates to that of Rugged Twill.

I found some examples of how it will age and patina. As @CCF1897 has eluded to, it tends to lean towards the dirty side of patina.

Otter Green

View attachment 1968261

View attachment 1968259

Tan, which unlike its Rugged Twill cousin, leans towards dirty and not the classic patina the color is beloved for.

View attachment 1968269

Now for the most unlikely Tin Cloth color that improves with age and will patina the best out of them all, black. That almost sounds sacrilegious to say, but as you can see, the white will start to show through like the weft on a pair of well worn Raw Denim. Since black is one of the least popular colors in the Filson catalogue, this will have to do.

View attachment 1968257

Thanks! This was an old avatar to which I switched back the other day when another poster informed me that there's a spinoff coming. It made my day! Definitely an all-time favorite for me, too.

This is super helpful, thanks.

You have definitely convinced me not to go with tan if I do the 48 Hour. I might do it if I go with twill because my other Filson stuff is green, but, while I think the grimy look is cool on something like a jacket, I don't want my bag to look that way.

Funnily enough, I'm strongly considering cinder if I go with the 48 Hour. I typically prefer the tans and greens, but there's something about cinder that has long caught my eye. If it ages like the black, that could create a really cool look.

I'm going to have to think on this some more. Thanks again to both of you for the thoughts!

singjai

Reaction score

Otter Green

View attachment 1968261

View attachment 1968259

View attachment 1968269

View attachment 1968257
Ha where did that navy journeyman picture come from? I think that's one of my pictures from before selling it!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads