• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mujib

Reaction score
If any of y'all are looking for the coveted (discontinued) Field Satchel, I just posted one in like new condition in B&S. Send me offers.

stubbsj20

Reaction score
Does anyone have an unpadded bridle leather strap that they would be willing to part with? I recently purchased a Talon era 257 that did not come with a strap and is the reason I am looking for one.

Last edited:

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an unpadded bridle leather strap that they would be willing to part with? I recently purchased a Talon era 257 that did not come with a strap and is the reason I am looking for one.
Yes - IM me.

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
If any of y'all are looking for the coveted (discontinued) Field Satchel, I just posted one in like new condition in B&S. Send me offers.

Stunning! Which version is this, and what price on it please?

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
I wasn't aware. What does this mean? Please share some details.

I found more info since posting. The v1 had one rivet on the clip on the flap, the second version two rivets, and this one you cannot see the rivets at all; I guess that's the slide to pop the latch open. Here's a v1:

1653014926648.png

And a v2:

1653014858375.png

garigo

Reaction score
Yep, tin cloth bags went overseas this year. Journeyman, 24hr and 48 hour duffle. Twill is still us made… for now.
Do you guys expect the quality to go down because of that? I was waiting for a restock of the journeyman in otter green.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys expect the quality to go down because of that? I was waiting for a restock of the journeyman in otter green.
This is totally my opinion and I have not see the imported Journeyman. The overseas made bags and clothing are of excellent quality and very little difference can be see in most cases. The tin cloth pants are an exception. Still not terrible, but they made some concerning changes on those. The bags so far seem to look great.

My concern with overseas manufacturing is that (1) Filson for the first 110 years of its existence was synonymous with quality USA manufacturing. The appeal of Filson was for most of us “high quality, American made, lifetime warranty” and I was ok saving up and paying a lot of something I really wanted. This brings me to my next point (2) the price stayed the same. You’re telling me making these bags overseas didn’t cut the price of manufacturing in half? Granted, that’s probably a difference of like $30 per bag, but still, the perception is that Filson is relying now solely on its brand and potentially the quality to justify the price.

This will almost certainly work out for Filson’s owners in the end, boosting margins and increasing their earnings multiplier, but Filson as many of us knew it is dying. That death was slow at first but now it’s really picking up speed. They’ll keep the plants in Seattle going for at least a while to produce “limited edition” or “archival reissues” for double or triple the price of the other options, the solid, American made, prideful company that was around for a century is quickly turning into LL Bean. I still love the brand, maybe I always will, but it’s not what it was and it will keep going this direction.

TomWambsgans

Reaction score
This brings me to my next point (2) the price stayed the same. You’re telling me making these bags overseas didn’t cut the price of manufacturing in half? Granted, that’s probably a difference of like $30 per bag, but still, the perception is that Filson is relying now solely on its brand and potentially the quality to justify the price.

This is the part that really bothers me. If Filson wants to make bags overseas, I can understand that. But to keep the prices high (and/or raise them) just screams, "Yes, we're private equity owned. Tough s**t!" And so, I only buy used Filson now. I'm discovering it's more of an adventure this way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics