• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had no idea the shorts were a thing as well... they're double-layered (except near the bottom by the hem) and are beefy. Can't wait for the weather to warm up. It's gonna be a minute here in Michigan.

Thanks for the pour over props... The Miir Pourigami has been so handy. It packs flat and gets the job done. In fact, everything but the fuel canister fits into the teakettle. Definitely didn't need the tote, but it sure is fun to bring some Filson along. My small field bag probably could have gotten the job done. ;)

Can't beat that Talon Era 90's quality, even for $20. Classic case of not knowing what you have when pricing an item, which has worked splendidly for me too (Forestry Cruiser, Mine/Your Journeyman, No.257). Haha we are headed into the coldest month here in New Jersey, so still got a ways to go before I can get back on my longboard.

There's always room for some Filson :fonz: . I'll have to take note of that pour over brand for my Free Range Kayak Camping trips.

Ya know, as much as I would love for the little guy to have a tiny mackinaw cruiser to match his pops, he has grown out of w trying so fast that it would be a complete waste to spend too much money on that. And if it were imported to make it more affordable, I’d pass. Haha

@TinMan3 HAHA yeah I forgot how fast kids grow, have you bought him some raw denim yet? That's something he can always grow into, although I'm not sure how much he would enjoy the break in process :lol:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once bought a "Filson" branded fly fishing net - after it went on sale for $95 (down from $175, I think). It was the single-most regrettable Filson purchase I've ever bought. The wood finish was rough, the stamped-on Filson label was crooked and the rubber net smelled like (fish) crap. I could NEVER get the bad smell out of the net (this was before I ever caught a fish, mind you). The smell was so bad that I had to leave it outside. In fact, after I eventually moved, I just left that net in the garage for the next poor sucker.

Yikes! Certain things are just hit or miss, unfortunately some of those things we build up a lot of excitement for and when it doesn't work out it's like a double blow. I am definitely not grouping this in with your stinky fishing net, but it's an example of an item that I was really excited for, and it just didn't work out. Luckily Filson's return policy is still exemplarily.

Somehow it just didn't look as good on me as it did these lumberjacks and cowboys

vest.jpg

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yikes! Certain things are just hit or miss, unfortunately some of those things we build up a lot of excitement for and when it doesn't work out it's like a double blow. I am definitely not grouping this in with your stinky fishing net, but it's an example of an item that I was really excited for, and it just didn't work out. Luckily Filson's return policy is still exemplarily.

Somehow it just didn't look as good on me as it did these lumberjacks and cowboys

View attachment 1743119
In the spirit of sharing some Filson stuff I DO love while fly fishing. Thought I'd share this pic of me and my son this past Saturday. Beaver Lake tail waters in NW Arkansas.

Filson gear in the pic:
- Tin cloth packer hat (my favorite fishing hat)
- Ultralight jacket in the olive/tan color
- Alaskan Guide Shirt
- Filson fly fishing vest (almost forgot!)

Other stuff
- Patagonia waders
- Simms boots
and, of course, a Bass Pro Shops hat.

Attachments

• IMG_2416-3.jpg
    IMG_2416-3.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the spirit of sharing some Filson stuff I DO love while fly fishing. Thought I'd share this pic of me and my son this past Saturday. Beaver Lake tail waters in NW Arkansas.

Filson gear in the pic:
- Tin cloth packer hat (my favorite fishing hat)
- Ultralight jacket in the olive/tan color
- Alaskan Guide Shirt

Other stuff
- Patagonia waders
- Simms boots
and, of course, a Bass Pro Shops hat.

You both look really happy therefore I am really happy for you. Nice to see a picture of your boy, he's certainly been gifted with your height :fonz: . You know if it hadn't been for the Packer Hat and shades I think this might be the closest thing to a face reveal haha.

Reminded me of the first time we met in person for dinner, whiskey and cigars. That was a lot of layers you used :lol:

IMG_5368.JPG

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You both look really happy therefore I am really happy for you. Nice to see a picture of your boy, he's certainly been gifted with your height :fonz: . You know if it hadn't been for the Packer Hat and shades I think this might be the closest thing to a face reveal haha.

Reminded me of the first time we met in person for dinner, whiskey and cigars. That was a lot of layers you used :lol:

View attachment 1743401
Forgot that in my fly fishing pic is my Filson fly fishing vest. LOVE that thing. Of course, not shown in the left pocket is a full flask of whiskey:
- take a pull when you start,
- take a pull when you catch a fish and
- take a pull when you leave the river.

Them's the rules.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder what place this eBay seller learned the phrase "Talon Era" from? I'm not saying I was the first to use this phrase, but I am saying that I did mainstream it from my unrelenting and longwinded ramblings over the last 4.5 years. :lol: . It's pretty cool being a part of something that has both influenced the market and quite possibly helped these things we love so much, appreciate in value...if I may be so bold to say.

This particular one was sold for a criminally low amount to some extremely lucky buyer.

Talon Era.PNG

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I promise this is the last time for awhile that I will post a shot of my Lot 16 Forestry Cruiser Union Tag. I found this while enjoying my daily Filson eBay search and just had to share.

Here's a perfect example of how pristine my label is compared to what most resemble on the secondary market:

My 1960 Cruiser with both its original tags still attached. To this day I have never seen this represented on a Union Made

IMG_4025.JPG

This is what your average Union Made label looks like. It's worn and faded from many decades worth of use. Actually I'm sure many have seen much worse on secondary markets.

Union Made Patina.jpg

I saw this Mackinaw Cruiser yesterday with a very familiar tag, albeit not in as good of condition as mine and about $100 more in price. The Union Made Label, the black enameled snaps, I might put this around when my Forestry Cruiser was built. That would mean the seller is a bit off though, but that wouldn't be a first on eBay.

Dry Clean.PNG

Last edited:

Winston2

Reaction score
Has anyone used Otter Wax Odor Eliminator spray on Filson canvas bags to help with slight old canvas smell? Is it safe for using on the fabric? Does it help? I have a 20 year old duffle and understand that it always will have the scent. This one is a touch stronger than my other bags and was thinking about trying the Otter Wax product in it. Thanks.

jmiller123

Reaction score
IMG_8066.JPG
IMG_8067.JPG

Wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with this jacket. I'm usually a 40 but take a small in filson. This jacket however is a medium which I grabbed due to reviews saying to size up. I don't think I could go a size down due to the chest fitting perfectly when buttoned, but the waist is a bit big and flares out. Also, the sleeves are too long so I would need to take it to a tailor.

For anyone that owns this, have you washed it and seen any shrinkage?

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1744604 View attachment 1744606

Wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with this jacket. I'm usually a 40 but take a small in filson. This jacket however is a medium which I grabbed due to reviews saying to size up. I don't think I could go a size down due to the chest fitting perfectly when buttoned, but the waist is a bit big and flares out. Also, the sleeves are too long so I would need to take it to a tailor.

For anyone that owns this, have you washed it and seen any shrinkage?
I would say do not wash. It will never look or feel the same. The denim is so crisp and it loses some of its depth after washing. I think this looks good on you and it’ll flair less as the denim loosens up. I think you’ve got the right size!

WJR

Reaction score
Did anyone else watch with interest the eBay auction that OMG had posted:

Two bidders went at it and the final price was $ 500. Wow.

Another Filson auction with a bidding war:

Always amazes me when bidders go at it and bid up something to much higher than true market.

WJR

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used Otter Wax Odor Eliminator spray on Filson canvas bags to help with slight old canvas smell? Is it safe for using on the fabric? Does it help? I have a 20 year old duffle and understand that it always will have the scent. This one is a touch stronger than my other bags and was thinking about trying the Otter Wax product in it. Thanks.

Have not tried Otter Wax, but I have had good luck using Odoban vs anything else. I suggest the Fresh Linen scent over the Eucalyptus. The sent will be there for a bit but goes away with use. It really does seem to get rid of the odor vs masking it like a Febreze.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else watch with interest the eBay auction that OMG had posted:

Two bidders went at it and the final price was $ 500. Wow.

Another Filson auction with a bidding war:

Always amazes me when bidders go at it and bid up something to much higher than true market.

WJR

Yeah that drives me absolute nuts when bidders do that, especially when the auction isn't even close to being over, save it for the last couple of minutes people!! I don't know if it's a power-trip thing or a competitive nature, but that attitude benefits no one, except maybe the seller...and also maybe your ego.

BTW that awesome brand new Whipcord Cruiser that I posted not too long ago SOLD!! No surprise there really. Looks like someone got a deal too...hopefully one of you!!!

Whipcord.PNG

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We all know beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Over the years there have been some let's just say unique Filson luggage items to roll off the assembly line at Filson, some that have been truly astonishing and others that have us scratching our heads, and asking ourselves....WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!?!?!?! Me personally I think this one belongs in the latter group, but that's just me, what do you think?

latter group.PNG

What I find interesting is that this "Outfitter Bag" closely resembles a bag that I absolutely love, and was considering acquiring multiple times. @linablair I know you will appreciate this. Both of these pictures no longer exist online since the website was deleted last year.

MDK5193.jpg

I find both photos to be inspiring to pack less and embrace the one bag travel lifestyle.

MDK5228.jpg

TomWambsgans

Reaction score
Yeah that drives me absolute nuts when bidders do that, especially when the auction isn't even close to being over, save it for the last couple of minutes people!! I don't know if it's a power-trip thing or a competitive nature, but that attitude benefits no one, except maybe the seller...and also maybe your ego.

BTW that awesome brand new Whipcord Cruiser that I posted not too long ago SOLD!! No surprise there really. Looks like someone got a deal too...hopefully one of you!!!

View attachment 1745156
The Whipcord Cruiser was a little tempting and it shouldn't have been. (I still have the original of this model in 38.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics