• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some eBay finds for your entertainment and quite possibly consideration.

1. 2nd Edition Navy Journeyman. No rivets but leather backstrap, and added small interior pocket (long since removed), no Motto Tag, but then again it is a true 2nd Edition. For a minute I thought @linablair might be selling hers, was relieved when I saw the sewn straps. It's a bit of a high starting price I think. This is actually the generation that our brother @Soletrane has and hopefully still finds a use for. He performed one of the most useful modifications by adding a DEFY sternum strap.

Navy Journeyman.PNG

2. Early YKK Era No.257 in Otter Green. Very well preserved condition, which you can tell from the clarity of the Motto Tag and the Build Tag. Very low starting bid price, so this could be a steal!! 0904 Build Date. The only issue I see is that the bridle shoulder strap included is not period correct.

257 ykk era.PNG

3. Weatherproof Leather Original Briefcase

Can of Filson.PNG

At the very least I do hope the can of Coke Zero is included with the purchase....never mind it's opened, so it's clearly already spoken for. What an odd thing to include in such a professional style listing with that kind of price.

Can of Filson 2.PNG

4. Whipcord Wool Zippered Jacket made from what I understand to be a widely underutilized and practically ancient Filson fabric called "Whipcord". I think it looks stunning and the fact that it has a build date of 0410 is even more astonishing.

Ancient.PNG

Last edited:

cattraveller

Reaction score
Thanks!! It's not too often anymore where I get to stretch my legs and provide a well articulated response, I really do enjoy it. Between your post and the bloke asking about dating the Filson Garment labels I'm having an absolute ball lately. I'm happy to hear that my OCD ramblings have helped you learn a little about this truly astonishing and timeless brand.

Speaking of timeless, nice Vette!!! Fellow stick shift appreciator... :fonz:

My daily...no Filson though so not nearly as classy. Although I did just recently hit 165K with the original clutch.

View attachment 1740498

I am afraid I am in love with Filson now.

nice looking Civic, I love Civic, and great that you drive Stick shift .

linablair

Reaction score
No worries, @OtterMeanGreen. I have no plans to get rid of the Journeyman. It's still in regular rotation and I'm still loving it.

I took a bit of a hiatus, as the end of the fall semester and the start of the winter semester have been a bit intense. But...

A couple friends and I went snowshoeing today. The 261 did a great job carrying a small camp stove, fuel, coffee and a pour over setup for some tailgate coffee after our hike. You can see it poking into this pic.

IMG_7653.JPG

The real treat, though not a bag (I think y'all will appreciate it), is this pair of shorts I found yesterday, with the plastic from the hang tag still on them. They look brand new. Some friends and I were at a fly shop. The owner was talking about a fly angler's estate being dropped off at the shop recently. These were hanging on a rack and my buddy, who knows I'm a Filson fan pointed them out. Build date is January '96. They're my size... Got 'em for $20. Jackpot.

IMG_7659.JPG

IMG_7658.JPG

IMG_7656.JPG

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another navy second edition Journeyman...

Nice find! See what I mean though, eBay is all about seller trends. I made this hypothesis months ago, and with a very cool and ultra rare example, a twin brother to my Rugged Twill Logger Cap. The floodgates are now open again. I'm not sure the price fits the condition. It certainly has a unique patina no doubt, but as I've stated in the past I don't believe these predominant Tin Cloth luggage items patina as good as their Rugged Twill siblings, and certainly not in a manner that appreciates in value. Their just isn't a market for that yet. Although if I were in the market for another Navy Journeyman, the bag is located only about 2 hours from me in New Jersey. Observe that leather patina, which is very unique to these early 2nd generations. @Soletrane has something very similar IIRC

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
Nice find! See what I mean though, eBay is all about seller trends. I made this hypothesis months ago, and with a very cool and ultra rare example, a twin brother to my Rugged Twill Logger Cap. The floodgates are now open again. I'm not sure the price fits the condition. It certainly has a unique patina no doubt, but as I've stated in the past I don't believe these predominant Tin Cloth luggage items patina as good as their Rugged Twill siblings, and certainly not in a manner that appreciates in value. Their just isn't a market for that yet. Although if I were in the market for another Navy Journeyman, the bag is located only about 2 hours from me in New Jersey. Observe that leather patina, which is very unique to these early 2nd generations. @Soletrane has something very similar IIRC

The prices are indeed crazy, and it's not even from Japan, lol! $495 BIN for that navy repaired Journeyman, whilst somebody else has just listed a leather one for the same price or best offer, which seems a much more reasonable deal...

Reactions: WJR

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No worries, @OtterMeanGreen. I have no plans to get rid of the Journeyman. It's still in regular rotation and I'm still loving it.

I took a bit of a hiatus, as the end of the fall semester and the start of the winter semester have been a bit intense. But...

A couple friends and I went snowshoeing today. The 261 did a great job carrying a small camp stove, fuel, coffee and a pour over setup for some tailgate coffee after our hike. You can see it poking into this pic.

View attachment 1742482

The real treat, though not a bag (I think y'all will appreciate it), is this pair of shorts I found yesterday, with the plastic from the hang tag still on them. They look brand new. Some friends and I were at a fly shop. The owner was talking about a fly angler's estate being dropped off at the shop recently. These were hanging on a rack and my buddy, who knows I'm a Filson fan pointed them out. Build date is January '96. They're my size... Got 'em for $20. Jackpot.

View attachment 1742483
View attachment 1742484
View attachment 1742485

Two things to take note of here. One I love your outdoor pour over setup; as someone who once owned a café and coffee roastery I have great respect for that. Two, love the Filson shorts!!! I didn't even know that was a thing in the 90's. I mean I knew Bedrock Filson have certainly tried to tap into the shorts market, but to learn Stan Kohls beat them to it is pretty awesome. What an incredible steal/deal as well. Now you can rock a Motto Tag on your shorts and on your back (Journeyman) :fonz: .

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did anyone here take advantage of this spectacular deal from the Filson website? If not then unfortunately you will have to pay retail which is a mere $575. Obviously I am being facetious here, because I would hope no one in their right minds would spend that much for grilling accessories. "Heirloom Quality". Maybe I'm playing devils advocate here, but who hopes to inherit someone else's grilling tools? :lol:

Filson sure has had some strange stuff on their website over the last 5 years. Custom baseball bats, Chilean snack tables, oyster shuckers, the list goes on. What will they think of next I wonder. I have a feeling @TinMan3 is hoping for a baby line, which I must admit I am too, for his benefit. Can you imagine an infant sized Mackinaw Cruiser and Packer Hat?

Filson already deleted the link, it's a good thing I took this screengrab when I did...for history sake.

Grill Like Hugh Hefner.PNG

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did anyone here take advantage of this spectacular deal from the Filson website? If not then unfortunately you will have to pay retail which is a mere $575. Obviously I am being facetious here, because I would hope no one in their right minds would spend that much for grilling accessories. "Heirloom Quality". Maybe I'm playing devils advocate here, but who hopes to inherit someone else's grilling tools? :lol:

Filson sure has had some strange stuff on their website over the last 5 years. Custom baseball bats, Chilean snack tables, oyster shuckers, the list goes on. What will they think of next I wonder. I have a feeling @TinMan3 is hoping for a baby line, which I must admit I am too, for his benefit. Can you imagine an infant sized Mackinaw Cruiser and Packer Hat?

Filson already deleted the link, it's a good thing I took this screengrab when I did...for history sake.

View attachment 1742588
Ya know, as much as I would love for the little guy to have a tiny mackinaw cruiser to match his pops, he has grown out of w trying so fast that it would be a complete waste to spend too much money on that. And if it were imported to make it more affordable, I’d pass. Haha

linablair

Reaction score
Two things to take note of here. One I love your outdoor pour over setup; as someone who once owned a café and coffee roastery I have great respect for that. Two, love the Filson shorts!!! I didn't even know that was a thing in the 90's. I mean I knew Bedrock Filson have certainly tried to tap into the shorts market, but to learn Stan Kohls beat them to it is pretty awesome. What an incredible steal/deal as well. Now you can rock a Motto Tag on your shorts and on your back (Journeyman) :fonz: .

I had no idea the shorts were a thing as well... they're double-layered (except near the bottom by the hem) and are beefy. Can't wait for the weather to warm up. It's gonna be a minute here in Michigan.

Thanks for the pour over props... The Miir Pourigami has been so handy. It packs flat and gets the job done. In fact, everything but the fuel canister fits into the teakettle. Definitely didn't need the tote, but it sure is fun to bring some Filson along. My small field bag probably could have gotten the job done. ;)

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1742588
I once bought a "Filson" branded fly fishing net - after it went on sale for $95 (down from $175, I think). It was the single-most regrettable Filson purchase I've ever bought. The wood finish was rough, the stamped-on Filson label was crooked and the rubber net smelled like (fish) crap. I could NEVER get the bad smell out of the net (this was before I ever caught a fish, mind you). The smell was so bad that I had to leave it outside. In fact, after I eventually moved, I just left that net in the garage for the next poor sucker.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once bought a "Filson" branded fly fishing net - after it went on sale for $95 (down from $175, I think). It was the single-most regrettable Filson purchase I've ever bought. The wood finish was rough, the stamped-on Filson label was crooked and the rubber net smelled like (fish) crap. I could NEVER get the bad smell out of the net (this was before I ever caught a fish, mind you). The smell was so bad that I had to leave it outside. In fact, after I eventually moved, I just left that net in the garage for the next poor sucker.
Wow, that’s too bad. I thought those looked really nice when they came out. I don’t really mind Filson licensing out it’s name, but at least make it quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics