• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, it may be dumb to buy something you don’t exactly need because it is half off but what’s done it done. Tan medium field bag.

I’m very curious what some of you use it for, where it excels, or what you found disappointing.

Do you carry it cross body or on your shoulder? Since it has a single hand strap I guess those are the only two possibilities.

It appears many use it as an EDC but my 15” laptop won’t fit (but I guess that’s what my 256 is for). I might try it on day hikes this winter.It should hold an 32oz bottle, jacket snacks, light.

Anyway, all thoughts are welcome and appreciated.
This is a great question on the medium field bag. I also own one and, while I really like it and am glad I have it, I often find myself wondering what is the best use.

I use my 256 or 257 as my EDC for work purposes.

I've found that I use the medium field bag as my camera bag for my Leica Q2. Works great for that as it's a bit more non-descript.

That said, I'm looking forward to hearing from others as I often find it more of a 'between' bag and Haven't found a reason to carry it every day.

TomWambsgans

Reaction score
Do any of you guys recall the capacity (in L) of the 257? I have been searching around and just can't seem to find it. I'm trying to compare it to the 24h (which is 18L).

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
Dimensions 16.5" x 12" x 6" = 1200"^3 = 19.6L.

So, 19-20L ish. Anecdotally, I feel I fit a good deal more in my 257 than in the 24H since a good couple litres of the latter's volume are found within the two outside pockets. The organisation is awesome, but I wish for greater depth in the main compartment.

My kingdom for a 32H bag with the width and height of the 24H but the depth of the 48H!!!

Last edited:

TomWambsgans

Reaction score
Dimensions 16.5" x 12" x 6" = 1200"^3 = 19.6L.

So, 19-20L ish. Anecdotally, I feel I fit a good deal more in my 257 than in the 24H since a good couple litres of the latter's volume are found within the two outside pockets. The organisation is awesome, but I wish for greater depth in the main compartment.

My kingdom for a 32H bag with the width and height of the 24H but the depth of the 48H!!!
I own both a 257 and a 24h and I'm pondering which would be better as a carry-on bag for an international work trip.

I'd carry a laptop and enough other stuff to last me a day or so if there were a luggage snafu or the like.

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
I own both a 257 and a 24h and I'm pondering which would be better as a carry-on bag for an international work trip.

I'd carry a laptop and enough other stuff to last me a day or so if there were a luggage snafu or the like.

Hmm... would be tight in a 24H. For work I load mine with a laptop (and I only have a wee SP7), but add charger, headphones, diary, bits'n'bobs into the front pockets, some flat paperwork in the back and it's already just about done. I cannot add gym gear and sure couldn't include many essentials to get through a day without luggage unless I ditched the headphone case / diary / work paperwork. By contrast I could fit much more into my 257 in addition to my standard work loadout--toiletries, PJs, undies, fresh top for tomorrow, light jacket--and of course much more if I had only the laptop inside. Perhaps if you put a laptop charger into the front left pocket of 24H and don't have much other than laptop inside then you could fit enough essentials, or perhaps even slip the laptop in the back pocket. It's much more doable in the 257 though.

Since you have both, your best bet is to simply consider what essentials you do not wish to go without and try loading up both bags. The 24H has that handy luggage loop on the back and great organisation for travel, but the 257 has greater volume. I'd go with the latter since more room = more essentials. Or take both! Essentials in the 257, and lob it into the overhead, whilst your 24H has work / life stuff to stay with you under the seat in front. That way neither is overloaded and you've room to add a bottle of water, snacks, and something tasty from duty-free! :D

TomWambsgans

Reaction score
Thanks. I think I'll take your advice and try packing the 24h and see how it goes. While its capacity is smaller, it's lighter and the luggage loop may be more handy than I realized. Taking both bags will definitely be overkill. :)

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
Thanks. I think I'll take your advice and try packing the 24h and see how it goes. While its capacity is smaller, it's lighter and the luggage loop may be more handy than I realized. Taking both bags will definitely be overkill. :)
Either way, it's fun planning and prepping! Where are you off to? ?

philipz

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm starting to commute back to the office so am looking to pick up a 257. I know there are many on eBay but would prefer to purchase from a member here. If anyone has one they are looking to depart with could you please reach out to me? Thank you!

TomWambsgans

Reaction score
Either way, it's fun planning and prepping! Where are you off to? ?
Prague. First travel in over two years. In the Before Times I was a frequent flier.

I acquired the 24h during the pandemic and haven't yet put it to use. The 257 was my EDC for years but I never used it for travel, opting instead for a nylon messenger with the company logo. It was smaller than either of the Filsons and worked fine, but I wasn't packing my carry-on to survive a rash of cancelled flights. It typically contained my laptop (big MBP), charger, bare essential toiletries/meds, change of underwear/socks/T-shirt. Those things compress down quite a bit.

Thankfully I'll be flying in J so overhead bin space won't be an issue.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do any of you guys recall the capacity (in L) of the 257? I have been searching around and just can't seem to find it. I'm trying to compare it to the 24h (which is 18L).

Back in 2017 I did a side-by-side packing comparison with a Tan 70257 vs my Otter Green 24HR briefcase. Both were packed the same, which was to be a travel companion, but the 70257 carried the very hefty pack considerably better on my shoulder. The 24HR, with its lighter weight Tin Cloth, distributed its weight towards the center and was uncomfortable on the shoulder. However the 24HR does have a more thoughtful setup for travel with its pocket and pouch layout. Many times have we mentioned that a Rugged Twill 24HR would be a dream bag. I’ve added to that with matching YKK zippers, since the front twin pocket zippers have been known to fail. Plus the flimsy interior zipper has to go in exchange for snaps.

In the end i sold my 24HR and returned the 70257 to Hanks Clothing (old Filson seller) and bought my Talon No.257 you see today. The first of many I would acquire from the Talon Era.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm starting to commute back to the office so am looking to pick up a 257. I know there are many on eBay but would prefer to purchase from a member here. If anyone has one they are looking to depart with could you please reach out to me? Thank you!

If you extend your search to eBay I can always offer my assistance? Any particular color or era you’re looking for? Are you searching for a 257 or a Bedrock 70257? A pristine Talon or early YKK No.257 for an affordable price is not impossible to find, after all I found one and for at least $100 less then a new one. Keep in mind each era will have different bridle leather and will patina uniquely to its corresponding era.

Last edited:

TomWambsgans

Reaction score
Back in 2017 I did a side-by-side packing comparison with a Tan 70257 vs my Otter Green 24HR briefcase. Both were packed the same, which was to be a travel companion, but the 70257 carried the very hefty pack considerably better on my shoulder. The 24HR, with its lighter weight Tin Cloth, distributed its weight towards the center and was uncomfortable on the shoulder. However the 24HR does have a more thoughtful setup for travel with its pocket and pouch layout. Many times have we mentioned that a Rugged Twill 24HR would be a dream bag. I’ve added to that with matching YKK zippers, since the front twin pocket zippers have been known to break. Plus the flimsy interior zipper has to go in exchange for snaps.

In the end i sold my 24HR and returned the 70257 to Hanks Clothing (old Filson seller) and bought my Talon No.257 you see today. The first of many I would acquire from the Talon Era.

What if both had been carrying moderate loads, not heavy? Would the 24h have been superior?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What if both had been carrying moderate loads, not heavy? Would the 24h have been superior?

Definitely! Plus if you were pairing it up with a roller, the luggage pass-through is killer! Strap material matters with extended travel time. Personally I think the cotton webbed strap distributed the weight better then the padded (or un-padded) bridle shoulder strap.

originalhype

Reaction score
I forgot to post this. I bought this early 2021 as nordstrom rack. I checked it and nothing is wrong with it.
Surprise nobody wanted it. I am sure you can figure out why I bought it.
20220116_122910.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads