• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Though there was plenty of Filson under the tree, my greatest gift this year couldn’t be purchased in a store. Merry Christmas everyone!! Wishing you all a safe and fun holiday with plenty of time for family and relaxation.

83F960D5-B288-46E3-876F-9D1ADDC9149D.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New bag?
Looks like a modern reworked updated 258 type bag

There are definitely parts of this I like. Although the snap on the back seems like it would rub you in the wrong places on the move. The front pouch is cool, I can understand why they didn’t opt for a storm flap as it would resemble the 70258 a little too much. Considering I’m searching for an Otter Green 258 I’ve been viewing setups on google, and there’s just so many inspiring posts. Although I might be the first one to publicly use mine as a range bag.

361DC14A-E884-45F6-A81D-01ADBFB80E08.jpeg

B3A60D91-C300-4644-A4C5-F04003317AA2.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey folks. Sorry for absence. December has vanished in a blink of intense work.

Otter suggested a throwback Thursday (I’m a day late, sue me :) ). Here is one of my earliest pics of my Pullman and 258 in outback Australia.

View attachment 1725775
That was 6 years ago - times flies!

Working fully remote now so very little travel. A quick visit to London with the 242 as a one - bag overnighter Including laptop was fun but hardly “travel”!

View attachment 1725778

I’ll take the chance to thank you all for continuing to make this a fun place to be, and wish you and loved ones a healthy and happy Christmas!

Merry Christmas Speedy, it’s regulars like yourself and so many others that make this place a joy to visit at least once a day. Thanks for humoring my Throwback Thursday idea, hopefully it takes off, otherwise you’ll just have a lot of old OMG pics one day a week :fonz: . I remember seeing that Australia shot back when I first joined when reading through the forum was a manageable task lol.

Last edited:

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice comparison shots, always appreciate when that's done. Just wanted to point out an oversight in your post. The No.243 is actually the Large Pullman, not the Medium. The external brass attachments are known as the D-Rings, they can be commonly found on various oversized travel bags like the LTB, Medium/Large/XL Duffels, LOB, XLOB, etc.

I’ve always thought it it would have made more sense for Filson to have called the 243 the “medium” and have had “small, medium, and large” instead of “small, large, and extra large.”

That said, the 243 is huge, though theoretically it is nominally small enough to meet US carryon rules, ie 21” x 15” x 9” meets the 45” rule. But, for good or for bad it is easily overpacked. It will swallow a ton of stuff, so much that if you maxed it out, not only would it flunk the carry on test, it would be uncomfortable to lug around any great distance. (I know because I have a pair, OG and tan.)

I can’t imagine dealing with the XL, which I believe was 5” longer at 26 inches, other than cramming it full, carrying it out to the truck, then reversing the process at my destination.

But the 243 is a great bag. I love my pair.

jmiller123

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 2.07.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 2.08.02 PM.png

Just picked up this reversible vest from the sale, looking forward to it as a nice midlayer.

Was wondering if they add items to the sale down the road? I've been thinking of picking up the lined denim cruiser and was hoping it was going to be on there. Does anyone have any experience with this piece?

Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 2.41.24 PM.png

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve always thought it it would have made more sense for Filson to have called the 243 the “medium” and have had “small, medium, and large” instead of “small, large, and extra large.”

That said, the 243 is huge, though theoretically it is nominally small enough to meet US carryon rules, ie 21” x 15” x 9” meets the 45” rule. But, for good or for bad it is easily overpacked. It will swallow a ton of stuff, so much that if you maxed it out, not only would it flunk the carry on test, it would be uncomfortable to lug around any great distance. (I know because I have a pair, OG and tan.)

I can’t imagine dealing with the XL, which I believe was 5” longer at 26 inches, other than cramming it full, carrying it out to the truck, then reversing the process at my destination.

But the 243 is a great bag. I love my pair.
Agreed. In the shot I posted above with the Cessna - that 243 was packed with a week of gear, camera kit and boots. It was spectacularly heavy!
Several years later I did a comparison pack between the 243 and a traditional large duffle. The full but not bursting duffle equates to very, very full for the Pullman, showing just how capacious it is.

At the other end of the scale here’s a gratuitous shot of my 230 small field bag and travel tray. Guest appearances by Midori brass pencil box and Feuerhand paraffin lantern.

26FEFE90-2AEA-4ABB-9238-F8FD7F5E1E06.jpeg

@TinMan3 - you win the best pic of the year award for your baby over your shoulder!

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1726329 View attachment 1726330
Just picked up this reversible vest from the sale, looking forward to it as a nice midlayer.

Was wondering if they add items to the sale down the road? I've been thinking of picking up the lined denim cruiser and was hoping it was going to be on there. Does anyone have any experience with this piece?

View attachment 1726331
I do, here’s the thing. This is a denim coat, lined with wool. You need to be able to wear this with a tee shirt because it’s not going to be too warm in the winter, but will also be too hot in the late spring with too many layers. The lining is incredibly itchy. WAY worse than Mac wool which I don’t mind too much. It also doesn’t have the cape or the map pocket which to me makes no sense, and then the actual jacket that I got had problems with the snaps. I should say, the second one I tried on had no snap issues. Finally, the bottom pockets don’t align and it bothers me.

The real killer for me was the sleeve lining being so uncomfortable, but this design left a lot wanting for me. If I could get an exceptional deal on it, I’d add it to the collection, but not for anywhere near retail.

jmiller123

Reaction score
I do, here’s the thing. This is a denim coat, lined with wool. You need to be able to wear this with a tee shirt because it’s not going to be too warm in the winter, but will also be too hot in the late spring with too many layers. The lining is incredibly itchy. WAY worse than Mac wool which I don’t mind too much. It also doesn’t have the cape or the map pocket which to me makes no sense, and then the actual jacket that I got had problems with the snaps. I should say, the second one I tried on had no snap issues. Finally, the bottom pockets don’t align and it bothers me.

The real killer for me was the sleeve lining being so uncomfortable, but this design left a lot wanting for me. If I could get an exceptional deal on it, I’d add it to the collection, but not for anywhere near retail.
Thanks for the response, definitely helps me decide. I was hoping it would be nice because I like the cruiser style a lot and figured the lining would allow me to wear it longer than a typical denim jacket- but if it is really that itchy then it doesn't really make sense to grab as I'd most likely plan on wearing it with a tshirt half the time. Bummer.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, definitely helps me decide. I was hoping it would be nice because I like the cruiser style a lot and figured the lining would allow me to wear it longer than a typical denim jacket- but if it is really that itchy then it doesn't really make sense to grab as I'd most likely plan on wearing it with a tshirt half the time. Bummer.
For me, and I would assume most who enjoy being comfortable, it is unwearable with a t-shirt. It is a beautiful coat, just missing some really practical elements that a simple control group could have told you in 5 minutes…

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Away! A family trip for new year.

A pretty rare combo - Nanamica 261, 239 outfitter and workhorse 256.

953663A8-D967-4730-A5A2-9896EB8EB2D7.jpeg

I had a happy time packing, looking at my choice of Pullman, 242, large wheeled duffle and the 239. Truth to tell this is probably only the 2nd time I’ve been able to use the outfitter. But what a bag. Hefty, leathery, zippy. YKK zips and beautiful leather. And for those that don’t know, the score of my life. You folk in the USA go thrifting and yard sale-ing and amazing stuff emerges. Not here in the UK.

But one night trawling fb marketplace I found 4 Filson bags as a lot. Blurry pics but seemed to be a MTB, xl rolling duffle, large rolling duffle and the monster garment carrier. All for £250 /$340. I swooped, and when they arrived I discovered the MTB was actually the XL outfitter 239. Wow.

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
2 years after I gave it to her for Christmas, TODAY she decides....."hey that's not a bad purse"...... View attachment 1726954

I have the same and love it! So roomy yet not bulky nor big, and the pockets are handy. Even those small side pockets are super useful; I pop a mini umbrella in one side for doggy walking, and a mask and some doggy bags in the other. Tell her I said she has great style! ?

singjai

Reaction score
Been meaning to put these up for sale for a while and finally found some time. Wanted to post it here before they go on eBay.

Filson x Vans rucksack - barely used/like new - $600 shipped
IMG_0094.jpeg

IMG_0095.jpeg
IMG_2354.JPG
IMG_2352.JPG

(SOLD) Filson small heavy tin duffel - barely used/like new. The grips are still really stiff and barely snap on - $300 shipped

IMG_2344.jpg

IMG_2345.jpg
IMG_2351.jpg

Last edited:

tonhaolim

Reaction score
Anyone tried Filson's waxed trench coat? I want to use it like a Mile Marker for colder weather but found very few reviews. It doesn't help they upped the price by a cool $100 since 2017 or so...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads