• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! So the talon era is the golden age of Filson. I bought my current OG small field bag without research and was a bit disappointed with the leather. It's a 07-2017 bag. I love the bags where the leather changed to a honey color.

Now to find a tan small field bag from the good years.

I will say that whatever pitfalls plagued Filson bridle leather was repaired with the modern selection. Will it Patina like the early-mid Talon, that remains to be seen, but time tells all.

Did you say honey? Here’s my mid 90’s Talon Otter Green 257

3CBE1B17-A744-4940-A291-4219741EC7A2.jpeg

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
Am still considering a 24 Hour Bag and have seen some in Cinder (whilst seeking Navy) but cannot tell if this is just the official name of the black Tin Cloth I've seen on some other 24Hrs, or if it is actually dark grey! Anybody know? I already own a 257 in Black Twill so am seeking a different shade for the 24.

Here is one; it really does look a nice warm charcoal colour rather than black black... then again, other sites with the Cinder colour really do look a true black. ?

Filson-24-Hour-Briefcase-11070140-Cinder-inside-explanation.jpg

Figured I'd get crafty and check the Wayback Machine to when they still offered this bag in more than two colours, and found that the black version was named "Black", and is the same image used for the Cinder bag with a slightly warmer tone. Then again... all three bags in the other colours available then--Dark Tan, Otter Green, and Navy--are also identical images that are simply hue-shifted in Photoshop! Therefore if Cinder truly is a charcoal rather than black shade they would have done that too! So... I dunno. Is Cinder grey or black?

24hr.png

Last edited:

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am still considering a 24 Hour Bag and have seen some in Cinder (whilst seeking Navy) but cannot tell if this is just the official name of the black Tin Cloth I've seen on some other 24Hrs, or if it is actually dark grey! Anybody know? I already own a 257 in Black Twill so am seeking a different shade for the 24.

Here is one; it really does look a nice warm charcoal colour rather than black black... then again, other sites with the Cinder colour really do look a true black. ?

View attachment 1713893

Figured I'd get crafty and check the Wayback Machine to when they still offered this bag in more than two colours, and found that the black version was named "Black", and is the same image used for the Cinder bag with a slightly warmer tone. Then again... all three bags in the other colours available then--Dark Tan, Otter Green, and Navy--are also identical images that are simply hue-shifted in Photoshop! Therefore if Cinder truly is a charcoal rather than black shade they would have done that too! So... I dunno. Is Cinder grey or black?

View attachment 1713897
I don't own any cinder bags but in my experiences looking at them over the years, I'd say it's mostly grey with almost a purple hue. Not sure how to describe it but it's definitely not black initially. But not grey either.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will say that whatever pitfalls plagued Filson bridle leather was repaired with the modern selection. Will it Patina like the early-mid Talon, that remains to be seen, but time tells all.

Did you say honey? Here’s my mid 90’s Talon Otter Green 257

View attachment 1713867
Here is my example of honey leather. From top to bottom. My EDC 257 from 2013. My Pullman that I just sold to another member here, and my 242 Large Carry-On which is undated but probably the best specimen of a true Filson bag from the Talon era that 've ever seen. The twill is heavy, the leather is PERFECT. You can really see the difference in color with this pic,
Library - 1 of 9.jpeg

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
I don't own any cinder bags but in my experiences looking at them over the years, I'd say it's mostly grey with almost a purple hue. Not sure how to describe it but it's definitely not black initially. But not grey either.

Awesome, thank you! That's how the Cinder Twill looks for sure, but I guess the wetter Tin Cloth appears darker. So long as it's definitely not a proper black then that's a winner for me and my growing Filson rainbow! ???

Stratkat

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I’ve come to the conclusion that waxed canvas is not for me, I prefer wool. So I’m cleaning house. If there are no takers here, I’ll list them on the bay. They were all bought new by me.

T
07838EB9-4F52-4967-A3BB-3D151DD7998B.jpeg
E863AE00-D4A3-4A87-8CB6-84AB7FDF7173.jpeg
CCDD17C9-E94C-4FDB-BAA3-F429DE39B9D3.jpeg
86513EC9-3AF5-4590-9458-D1163F547916.jpeg
55F54E4A-ECA9-496A-9A9A-24C6A1CAB893.jpeg
359D6CA9-5BD3-4B95-82AA-5EEDB68A641D.jpeg
4FE0343D-3B80-4145-B4D8-4DED5163F79A.jpeg
he field jacket was never worn (asking $350.00).

The Northway really wasn’t used much at all ($300.00).

the lined vest was used most, maybe 30x ($400.00)

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I’ve come to the conclusion that waxed canvas is not for me, I prefer wool. So I’m cleaning house. If there are no takers here, I’ll list them on the bay. They were all bought new by me.

T View attachment 1714433 View attachment 1714434 View attachment 1714435 View attachment 1714436 View attachment 1714437 View attachment 1714438 View attachment 1714439 he field jacket was never worn (asking $350.00).

The Northway really wasn’t used much at all ($300.00).

Sent you a PM

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't mean to pry but for the benefit of furthering the conversation and understanding of the pros and cons of the material (especially to those in the market); in what ways has Tin Cloth fallen short for you? I myself don't own any Tin Cloth garments, only ever Rugged Twill (Logger Cap) and Virgin Wool (Single Mack and Style 16 Cruiser). I don't see myself owning anything made of waxed tin cloth, but that may of course change depending on the climate and my location. We all know of the most common pitfalls: cold and clammy unless properly layered, the chore of having to rewax, and the shrinking when heavily saturated.

I can say from experience that I prefer the wool featured on my Forestry Cruiser over the Wool on my Single Mack. I've heard from reliable sources (Archival Blog) that the diagonal sewn virgin wool on the Style 16 is called "Worsted Serge". What I love most about this material is that there is virtually no itch that is normally associated with the Mackinaw Virgin Wool, so I can and have worn this Cruiser with a T-shirt.

Best of luck with the sale, seems you already have a bite.

Stratkat

Reaction score
Don't mean to pry but for the benefit of furthering the conversation and understanding of the pros and cons of the material (especially to those in the market); in what ways has Tin Cloth fallen short for you? I myself don't own any Tin Cloth garments, only ever Rugged Twill (Logger Cap) and Virgin Wool (Single Mack and Style 16 Cruiser). I don't see myself owning anything made of waxed tin cloth, but that may of course change depending on the climate and my location. We all know of the most common pitfalls: cold and clammy unless properly layered, the chore of having to rewax, and the shrinking when heavily saturated.

I can say from experience that I prefer the wool featured on my Forestry Cruiser over the Wool on my Single Mack. I've heard from reliable sources (Archival Blog) that the diagonal sewn virgin wool on the Style 16 is called "Worsted Serge". What I love most about this material is that there is virtually no itch that is normally associated with the Mackinaw Virgin Wool, so I can and have worn this Cruiser with a T-shirt.

Best of luck with the sale, seems you already have a bite.
I love the idea of it, the legacy, and actually enjoy the rewaxing process, but it always has the residue, and if I’m honest with myself, I’m just not out working or hunting in the elements. I wear my wool cruisers a lot, and grab for my denim cruiser when it’s warmer. I’m actually probably going to sell my wool Packer coat as well, because outside of a week in Massachusetts last year, it’s too warm for Virginia. And I love the design and execution of that coat!
When I first discovered the brand, I bought a lot of gear, and now I’m reflecting on what I need vs what I use…

Stratkat

Reaction score

T View attachment 1714433 View attachment 1714434 View attachment 1714435 View attachment 1714437 View attachment 1714438 View attachment 1714439 he field jacket was never worn (asking $350.00)
Can’t seem to edit the original post, but the Northway jacket has SOLD.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the idea of it, the legacy, and actually enjoy the rewaxing process, but it always has the residue, and if I’m honest with myself, I’m just not out working or hunting in the elements. I wear my wool cruisers a lot, and grab for my denim cruiser when it’s warmer. I’m actually probably going to sell my wool Packer coat as well, because outside of a week in Massachusetts last year, it’s too warm for Virginia. And I love the design and execution of that coat!
When I first discovered the brand, I bought a lot of gear, and now I’m reflecting on what I need vs what I use…

I'd figure that a guy who works with his hands as much as you do would either welcome the concept of rewaxing or completely and utterly loathe it...for the exact same reason. I myself like garment items to have as little maintenance as possible, and that's coming from a former detailer who loves the concept of re-waxing :lol:

In all seriousness I can definitely feel you on the residue aspect. GORUCK recently made a beautiful version with waxed duck canvas and Redwing leather (I shared it on this forum), but for some reason they included that very same waxed canvas on the inside. This way everything you possibly own will have a slick coating of it, including your laptop and that sandwich you were saving for later :fonz:

Speaking of the Wool Packer Coat...it looks good on Lloyd

Yellowstone Filson.jpg

Stratkat

Reaction score
I'd figure that a guy who works with his hands as much as you do would either welcome the concept of rewaxing or completely and utterly loathe it...for the exact same reason. I myself like garment items to have as little maintenance as possible, and that's coming from a former detailer who loves the concept of re-waxing :lol:

In all seriousness I can definitely feel you on the residue aspect. GORUCK recently made a beautiful version with waxed duck canvas and Redwing leather (I shared it on this forum), but for some reason they included that very same waxed canvas on the inside. This way everything you possibly own will have a slick coating of it, including your laptop and that sandwich you were saving for later :fonz:

Speaking of the Wool Packer Coat...it looks good on Lloyd

View attachment 1715935
Lol, that the version I own… it’s a truly magnificent coat!
B3D5EF7C-49F5-44D6-A15C-2ACB5CBFB27C.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol, that the version I own… it’s a truly magnificent coat!
View attachment 1716026

Looks like the kinda warm that would be welcome in places like Montana but maybe not in Virginia. I can only speak of New Jersey Winters, and they are most definitely bad, but coats like that I imagine would thrive in more volatile climates such as the Pacific Northwest or Alaska

Last edited:

gothedistance

Reaction score
Hello. First post here. Really great info and photos on this thread.

Does anyone know what year the 240 Small Carry On and the 232 Medium Field Bag came out? Also when was the 240 discontinued?

Thank you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads